Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Error 1008:H Master thread

5 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

But don’t you agree with me that this error should probably hit thousands of users if you are correct and not only the the 4 or 5 listing the problem here. That doesn’t make sense.

But its not local. It hit users in different places of the world.

5 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

But don’t you agree with me that this error should probably hit thousands of users if you are correct and not only the the 4 or 5 listing the problem here. That doesn’t make sense.

I don't agree with you. If you think about local as the local machine here. I have a 24/7 System running an the Online Service runs perfectly 6 Days ago, since yesterday (when I noticed it) not. So nothing changed here on my local machine. Restarting my Router and my System canged nothing. If you think about locas as the Location, I saw many people from my country play online yesterday. So thats no option too. There must be a Problem with the Servers. I paid nearly 60€ for a Game, I can't use in full function right now, thats not my fault, so I think anybody should look after the Problem. Other Onlinegames rum perfect, so why should it be local? And not everybody is using this Forum, if you Google the Error Code, you can find a lot of People reporting this Problem on other Websites.

Sorry for my bad english skills, its not my native Language.

I meant local machine/local Internet system, not the area. I have asked Barry to pass it onto the devs to have a closer look.

6 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

I meant local machine/local Internet system, not the area. I have asked Barry to pass it onto the devs to have a closer look.

Like I said, 6 days ago it works. Since yesterday no connection here. Nothing changed, multiple restarty changed nothing. If it will help locating the Problem:

I also tried to ping the IP from the Screenshot FrankThe599th posted here, no answer.

Me also OS: Windows 7, Area: Germany, Thuringia

My game always uses the 94.75.196.16 for the connection, is it the right one (Server in Amsterdam, Lease Web)? Saw in one telegram the host address "f1s.codemasters.com" and my DNS translates this to 94.75.196.16. I want to exclude, that it is a DNS problem and connections go to a wrong server.

Connections always looked equal: Client did a request with protocol TLSv1, got the answer "Error Protocol version" from server. Then client tried a new connection with protocol SSLv3, got answer "Error Handshake Failure" from server. Which is the right protocol, which is used in the game, TLSv1 or SSLv3 (or something else)?

Edit: Today it is IP 94.75.196.116. Thursday it was the other one. But same problem with 94.75.196.116. And I don't believe in a DNS problem, used the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) for test and got the same IP.

Edited by FrankThe599th
  • Like 1

Interesting. Would be happy to see if others who had the same problem also solved this by upgrading to Windows 10

1 hour ago, 1512marcel said:

Interesting. Would be happy to see if others who had the same problem also solved this by upgrading to Windows 10

I don't think, this would be the only solution. If so, I can see the Sh*tstorm.

Edited by JamesONeill

I confirm, with win 10 the problem has ben solved.

The problem Is win 7.

• Disagree 1

Ok, I found a solution for Windows 7. The problem is, that Windows 7 uses as standard secure protocol TLS 1.0 or SSL 2.0. I think, something was changed at the servers, that they don't accept these secure protocols anymore.

There is a fix from Microsoft to set the default secure protocol:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

In section "Easy fix" there is a file to download, which inserts two registry entries. After restart my F1 game used the new secure protocol and all works now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Ivan158 said:

The problem Is win 7.

If so, anybody at Codemastes decided to make it a problem. That would be not funny, because all the Win 7 Users bought the Game with the Promise of full compatibility with Win 7. So it have to work completely with Win 7 within its Lifespan (until the Release of F1 2020).

@FrankThe599th You're my man. It works! So there is just the Question: Why did nobody from Codemasters told us about that?

Edited by JamesONeill
  • Disagree 1

The more I look at the Wireshark documentation the more I think, that's hardly reliable. @FrankThe599th looking at it again I agree with your analysis on server termination of the connection rather than client timeout. I don't have a lot of experience of looking at logs.

The host IP address will be a range, that's not unusual. Depending on where it's hosted IPv4 ranges can rotate. Load balancing and Dynamic DNS can both be factors.

3 minutes ago, FrankThe599th said:

Ok, I found a solution for Windows 7. The problem is, that Windows 7 uses as standard secure protocol TLS 1.0 or SSL 2.0. I think, something was changed at the servers, that they don't accept these secure protocols anymore.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

In section "Easy fix" there is a file to download, which inserts two registry entries. After restart my F1 game used the new secure protocol and all works now.

Windows 7 uses older protocols. SSL is deprecated in favour of TLS, due to security concerns.

But it is a MS update, not automatic (as it would break older incompatible, insecure systems). Microsoft tied by legacy concerns.

It's a great find, but it is not a CM problem, they are doing things correctly it would seem. Good work.

I have PS4, I changed the dns as they suggest, however I have not managed to solve the error. I've been trying to solve the problem since November 2019 without achieving it.

There is no codemaster response and there is also no clear position. There is no customer support or something to help us solve it.

Edited by JuanchoMCG

2 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

It's a great find, but it is not a CM problem, they are doing things correctly it would seem. Good work.

So you don't agree, that they could have communicate the security changes? I understand the need to update the protocolls, but if it kills the connection from many Users, they have to tell them about that.

Just now, JuanchoMCG said:

I have PS4, I changed the dns as they suggest, however I have not managed to solve the error. I've been trying to solve the problem since November 2019 without achieving it.

There is no codemaster response and there is also no clear position. There is no customer support or something to help us solve it.

Maybe forward the thread to Sony. If the underlying protocol is the issue it will be a Sony fix.

Seeing as XB1 is based on W10, then I guess no-one has reported it on XB1 as it will just work?

15 minutes ago, JamesONeill said:

So you don't agree, that they could have communicate the security changes? I understand the need to update the protocolls, but if it kills the connection from many Users, they have to tell them about that.

No I don't agree that CM can mandate Windows changes. But it could have been picked up if they test on W7 (I'm guessing they don't as DX12 is lead and DX11 is compatible).

Everyone on W7 is holding out for, what exactly?

OK so I've re read the post threads and it's not so clear cut. Error 1008:H can be caused by NAT settings (way more frequent than this specific PC fix) and it muddies the water by having XBox users post about the error.

Most of the Steam users have not specified if they use W7 or W10. Other than sharing the moniker 'Windows' W7 and the current W10 are pretty far removed already. The MS update was issued AFTER the game went gold and even after release. So it passed from development into patching. The protocol problem should have been visible on W7 during development and even beta testing but I wonder how much of it was written off as "pre-launch" code?

Edited by steviejay69
Re-read the thread
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, FrankThe599th said:

I have the same problem, I downloaded the file, restarted my pc and the game still doesn't work. Any tips?

I already contacted Sony, but they say that I should contact codemaster because the console does not present any inconvenience and has no problems to connect with other games, therefore it is the problem of the game developer to solve it, in this case codemaster

40 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Maybe forward the thread to Sony. If the underlying protocol is the issue it will be a Sony fix.

Seeing as XB1 is based on W10, then I guess no-one has reported it on XB1 as it will just work?

I already contacted Sony, but they say that I should contact codemaster because the console does not present any inconvenience and has no problems to connect with other games, therefore it is the problem of the game developer to solve it, in this case codemaster

1 hour ago, Andrea1256 said:

I have the same problem, I downloaded the file, restarted my pc and the game still doesn't work. Any tips?

Did you execute the file before, that the registry entries are created? You can look in registry (execute regedit), if the values are there (also written on this Microsoft page). And at the microsoft page there is written, one special Microsoft update must be installed (included in Service Pack 1).

I think, some don't understand right.

Before middle of the week the servers from codemasters accepted also the old protocols. Then they decided, not to accept them. In the client Windows 7 system nothing changed, there was no update.

The error is, that the game uses the settings of Windows, which protocol it uses, in Windows 7 that is the old protocol. So for Windows 7 the multiplayer didn't work anymore. The right way would have been, first to do an update of the game, that it uses the new protocol and not the one, which is set as default in registry. Steam Client also uses the new, not the default, and all works.

So of cause it is the error of codemasters, they are responsible for the servers, and they are responsible for the game software, which has to choose the right protocol.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrankThe599th said:

Did you execute the file before, that the registry entries are created? You can look in registry (execute regedit), if the values are there (also written on this Microsoft page). And at the microsoft page there is written, one special Microsoft update must be installed (included in Service Pack 1).

I think the values are there but I will show you if they are correct. I also created two subkeys as written in the microsoft webpage(third image).

About the Microsoft update can you tell me which is the one I should download?

errore 01.png

errore 02.png

errore.png

Edited by Andrea1256

It’s getting more interesting and more complex with offered solutions working for one but not for the other. @BarryBL, can you shine a light on the server related questions to get that cleared. 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the discussion on this.

I will go and mention this to the Developers and try to drill down to see where/how this issue happens.