Sign in to follow this  

VR Motion Sickness

Although I don't have any problems playing iRacing in VR, I suffer a lot from motion sickness in Dirt Rally 2.0 with my Oculus Rift.

Even 3 hours after playing, I still feel nauseous.  

Have you got any tips to improve the experience? What is the recommended setting for camera shake?  

7 minutes ago, TSquares said:

Although I don't have any problems playing iRacing in VR, I suffer a lot from motion sickness in Dirt Rally 2.0 with my Oculus Rift.

Even 3 hours after playing, I still feel nauseous.  

Have you got any tips to improve the experience? What is the recommended setting for camera shake?  

Make sure you are running at 80fps solid (Oculus Rift S), or a solid 90FPS (Oculus Rift CV1). The game doesnt like dropping frames, and that is likely one thing that may be causing discomfort.

Notable options to turn off or reduce.
Screen space reflections - off
Night Light - Off
Vehicle Details - Low
Ground cover - medium

Then after that, if you have an unstable frame rate, you want to lower shadows, reflections and mirrors.

Make sure there is no supersampling in Oculus Debug tool or Oculus Tray tool, and dont use multisampling in game.

Another thing to do, is make sure the view isnt locked to the car, otherwise you will rock and sway with the movement of the car. If you unlock the view from the car, it will rock and sway; but your view will remain much more stable. It should be called "lock orientation", you want that turned off.

A rally track isn't flat, there are jumps, sometimes big jumps. Your mind/body expect sonerhing when landing but it isn't there. This causes illness in VR. 

Take a slow approach. Drive untill you get sick and stop. Soon you find out that period before getting sick is longer, and longer untill it is gone.

Personally, after a 3 weeks holiday I have to get used to VR a couple of days.