Cool down lap added to game

Cool down lap  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a cool down lap be added for both online and offline gamemodes

• Yes
    • No

Was just wandering how many people would want to have this as an option in both online and singleplayer

• Like 3

It would be nice to be added. They have the formation lap so it would make sense. As long as it doesn’t cause incidents like stroll & Vettel from Malaysia 2017

• Haha 2

Press X to wave to your fans.

I wouldn't say no to this addition but I'd need some more context-relevant radio talk to actually do that lap beyond the first few races in the game.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

It would be nice to be added. They have the formation lap so it would make sense. As long as it doesn’t cause incidents like stroll & Vettel from Malaysia 2017

I’m hoping SOMEONE gets that reference 😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cpayne32 said:

I’m hoping SOMEONE gets that reference 😂

Do you mean that Pascal had a chance to make a comeback in F1, after 2017's ride of champions, but they "Wehrlein"?!

Jokes aside, cool down laps are long overdue and need to be part of the racing experience. 

Hopefully CM considers this feature, if they have not done already.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight

Just like how there’s no formation lap in ranked sessions their shouldn’t be cool down laps but we should have the option for unranked sessions

1 hour ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Do you mean that Pascal had a chance to make a comeback in F1, after 2017's ride of champions, but they "Wehrlein"?!

Jokes aside, cool down laps are long overdue and need to be part of the racing experience. 

Hopefully CM considers this feature, if they have not done already.

Not the joke I was going for but still funny. I meant the incident on the cool down lap where stroll hit Vettel (Sorry Stroll fans).

• Like 1

Yes but only if done right so it doesn't get boring it that you can skip it.

I'd also like to say that I'd like to have the whole reconnaissance laps before race start where from your pit, you can drive to the end of the pits and do a proper practice start, then drive around the track and then back through the pits again. Then when you're ready, drive around and to the start where your engineers will collect you to put you on your starting position. 

• Thanks 1

Let's go the whole way and do it Alonso style (2012 Valencia). Slow down after the finish to pick up your nation's flag from a marshal, drive half a lap with it then park your car in the middle of the track. Exit car, lay the flag on the track and wait for an official car to pick you up and take you back to the podium for your trophy and champagne.

Codies, just do it lads!

🍾🏆🏁

• Haha 2
  • Agree 3

I personally quite like the feature Project Cars 2 and I would use it for 2020 Multiplayer as well.

You can drive the cool down lap until all players have crossed the line and finished the race, because usually in that time you just spectate them, instead you could drive a short cool down lap in that space.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

I personally quite like the feature Project Cars 2 and I would use it for 2020 Multiplayer as well.

You can drive the cool down lap until all players have crossed the line and finished the race, because usually in that time you just spectate them, instead you could drive a short cool down lap in that space.

I'd particularly like this in qualifying, so when a session finishes and you cross the line you keep the bit of suspense for what the cars behind are doing instead of jumping straight to the results. It's the best part of qualy and the game skips it.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

I'd particularly like this in qualifying, so when a session finishes and you cross the line you keep the bit of suspense for what the cars behind are doing instead of jumping straight to the results. It's the best part of qualy and the game skips it.

Agreed, but for me personally, at least during league races (short quali), I find it quite interesting to see what the others behind me are doing on their laps.

But for unranked lobbies and one shot quali (maybe that's what you meant) I quite like the idea too.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

Agreed, but for me personally, at least during league races (short quali), I find it quite interesting to see what the others behind me are doing on their laps.

But for unranked lobbies and one shot quali (maybe that's what you meant) I quite like the idea too.

Yeah exactly, online you can already spectate until the end but offline it just cuts it short and skips to the results.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, scottishwildcat said:

Have no interested in driving around after a race is finished, so it's a no from me.

You mean no as in if it was an option you'd just disable it or no as in you don't want the option even available to anyone?

Yes but there needs to be a purpose to it. I’d love to have it in anyway for pure immersion but have it so that if you pick up X amount of rubber, you get X amount of resource points... just an idea. 

tbh a lot of things can be added for immersion like after each practice/qualifying session, the session still runs until all cars cross the line..:. Races as well tbh. I don’t trust the simulated times after a sessions ends and a session should only simulate if the player requests it. Even if a player crashes out of a race in career mode, the player should still be able to spectate if they wish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/17/2020 at 2:52 PM, DrewDGriffiths said:

if you pick up X amount of rubber, you get X amount of resource points

That's an interesting idea, I always believed you should be rewarded for the distance you drove in the game and this would especially help players who ran short races. 1 lap extra after a 17 lap race is approx 5% bonus distance. You could also have a trophy for completing a cool down lap in every race in a full season (meaning you obviously also have to complete every race!). Kooldown King! Problem here is that of course the race is over if you're not one of the front runners and if you're several laps behind it's kind of depressing to continue!

I just can't see why it can't be an OPTION as it's done in real life, but do it realistically. How cool would it be if say top 3 podium finishers were required to run a cool down and then park the car in park ferme behind your victory signs. Game would probably drive your car for you at the end but it would be a nice finish instead of just fast forwarding to the podium. Great place for an 'interview' too. Get out of your car accuse the winner of cheating then storm on up to the pre-podium room. 

Would you like to enable cooldown lap?

YES/NO

😄

On 5/16/2020 at 6:10 PM, RaceMyZaru said:

Press X to wave to your fans.

I wouldn't say no to this addition but I'd need some more context-relevant radio talk to actually do that lap beyond the first few races in the game.

Drive for Ferrari, win race, press radio button and say "Grazie Ragazzi": instant +25 rep with team. :classic_biggrin:

Perhaps you could have the game recognise when you say "thanks guys" to your pit crew, or "save it" ala Ricciardo, Monaco 2016, and it affects morale.

I'm being light-hearted, obviously, but it's nice to come up with stuff. :classic_happy:

I'd definitely like this. Always felt like the thrill of a good result is cut-off abruptly when it immediately takes control away from you and if it allowed you to drive it all the way back to the pits and therefore, in a podium position, into the correct 1,2,3 slot, that would be really cool. The celebration animation would take over as you pull up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There's an option to turn the formation lap on/off, so I don't see why there shouldn't also be an option allowing the player to individually decide whether they want a cool down lap or not.

I can completely understand those who race 5-lap races, 25% races or just want to get some quick racing action after work and don't need anymore immersion than there already is. I, however, really like to drive the formation lap, do practice starts and so on to feel the immersion and be a not-so-real F1 driver for a couple of virtual laps.

As long as it's customisable, I don't see why Codemasters shouldn't offer such a feature, provided there are enough players that actually use the feature.

Edited by KingDome24

18 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

That's an interesting idea, I always believed you should be rewarded for the distance you drove in the game and this would especially help players who ran short races. 1 lap extra after a 17 lap race is approx 5% bonus distance. You could also have a trophy for completing a cool down lap in every race in a full season (meaning you obviously also have to complete every race!). Kooldown King! Problem here is that of course the race is over if you're not one of the front runners and if you're several laps behind it's kind of depressing to continue!

I just can't see why it can't be an OPTION as it's done in real life, but do it realistically. How cool would it be if say top 3 podium finishers were required to run a cool down and then park the car in park ferme behind your victory signs. Game would probably drive your car for you at the end but it would be a nice finish instead of just fast forwarding to the podium. Great place for an 'interview' too. Get out of your car accuse the winner of cheating then storm on up to the pre-podium room. 

Would you like to enable cooldown lap?

YES/NO

😄

Yes, I’d have it as an option and you put a very good idea of driving the cool down lap as a top 3 finisher, driving to your car to park ferme to your sign. Then have cutscenes in first person view of the cool down room and I’d even have the podium in first person view too (why not have a longer podium sequence with national anthems?.... skippable for those who are impatient of course).

Good little ideas for that extra gloss and immersion

• Agree 1

Have it as an option but o don’t think it’ll bring much to the game really. You’d then have to program pit entry and parc femme at the end. 

For me there would need to be a good reason to drive it.  The formation lap at least allows you to do several things that benefit your race (ie- practice your race start, warm the tires and brakes, etc.), but what would the ROI be for the cool down lap?  A few extra resource points isn't worth it to me.  So I vote "no".  Make it an option for those that want to take the extra time?  Don't care; makes no difference to me.  

All that said, I think there are far more impactful things that Codemasters should spend their time developing compared to a cool down lap.  A cool down lap, to me, is along the same vein as building in red flags, or, worse yet, player vehicle malfunctions that would prevent you from completing a race.  I don't get it.  This is a player focused racing game, so why would they build in features to slow you down from, or entirely prevent you from racing?  I see people mentioning "immersion", but, again, I think there are plenty of other things Codemasters could do to improve immersion while keeping the player engaged.  Just my two cents.