F1 2020 Realistic Car Performance

Looking the the preview that has been given to YouTubers over the last week I think that realistic car performances are slightly wrong. I understand this is a preview build and it may have already been changed but I am unsure.  From what we know so far in my opinion the Racing Point is far too slow. Actually slower than the Alfa which is for some reason a lot quicker than I would imagine. Racing point should be increased to rival McLaren with Renault just behind. Alfa and Tauri looking the slower of the mid pack but only by a tenth or two to the likes of Renault while the gap looks a bit larger. Finally the gap between RedBull and Mclaren or Force India just looks too big, with it being nearly over a second gap which just isn’t true. Track dependant the car can be 4-8 tenths off but not over a second to 6th place. I understand them being a second off first but off sixth is not realistic imo. 

As I said before this is going off pre-season and I’m sure we will get updated car performances post Austria when we resume. @BarryBL 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Realistically, we only know the true pace of each car once two or three races are finished (to account for track-dependent differences). Until then, we kinda have to settle with what pre-season testing and prior performances have shown. Didn't the devs even indiacate that the performance will be subject to change once we know more?^^ For now, I think this is the best way to go, we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

Posted (edited)

Marc Priestley did a video a few weeks back on YouTube where he said he contacted Codemasters about how they were going to address the team’s performance and they got back to him and said they were going to be going off of a combination of pre-season testing, team’s performance from the end of the 2019 season as well as through communicating with F1 to see if their performance predictions matched up with what they had as well for the new game. 

Cant seem to be able to find his video at the moment but will try and update my post if I can find it later on

EDIT:  Here’s a link to the video from Marc covering the question ... 

Edited by stephensmattlee
Found link in question
  • Like 1

Yeah, that is pretty much all the parameters we have to work with in these heavily uncertain times.

In terms of an update, at the moment, I'm unsure. The only issue with this is that we don't know what we are updating yet, as we have nothing to work off for an update.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@BarryBL As for where teams stand, I believe Codemasters may rely upon what was said/written by F1 community after tests. 

Racing Point and AlphaTauri are using pretty much last year's Merc/Red Bull chassis, so they likely to be the best of the rest, don't they?

Ferrari seem to have lost their superior ERS system, along with engine power due to sanctions implied by the FIA. Mercedes is the team to beat. Race sims during testing week showed they were at least a couple of tenth clear of Red Bull. So Ferrari/Red Bull are somewhere near each other. 

Lower rank teams are presented by Alfa Romeo, Haas and a bit further behind them is Williams. 

6 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Yeah, that is pretty much all the parameters we have to work with in these heavily uncertain times.

In terms of an update, at the moment, I'm unsure. The only issue with this is that we don't know what we are updating yet, as we have nothing to work off for an update.

If thats the case hopefully this will help, Racing point should be brought to maybe 3 tenths slower than the fastest cars given it's on the soft tyre, along with the Alfa Romeo being slowed down by a second to match the Williams pace, the Alpha Tauri should be on par with the Mclaren as they both didn't use the softest compound maybe make them two or three tenths slower than the Renault, the Haas should be made about 4 tenths ish slower than it currently is, then add a performance update to make certain cars faster if needed later on like you always do, hopefully this is helpful.

Screenshot_20200518-164710.png