Can the formula 1 game have two versions?

As we all know this game has been for a long time in a very difficult position trying to please two different niche of consumers: the serious simracers who want everything to be as real as possible and the casual gamers who race with a controller. Codemasters have been trying its best to please both niches as well as they could but wouldn't be easier if we had two versions of the game like the dirt and dirt rally games? Codemasters can create a "sim" version of the game focused on physics/gameplay and create another version focused on singleplayer/content.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Marilynkira said:

Codemasters can create a "sim" version of the game focused on physics/gameplay and create another version focused on singleplayer/content.

Why wouldn't the single player part be able to have the 'sim' physics of the cars? It's not just online players that like sims to be authentic.

But I agree, the car physics could include options to choose various degrees of 'realism', from arcade to full sim. Plenty of other games/sims have had similar options over the years.

16 minutes ago, Marilynkira said:

As we all know this game has been for a long time in a very difficult position trying to please two different niche of consumers: the serious simracers who want everything to be as real as possible and the casual gamers who race with a controller. Codemasters have been trying its best to please both niches as well as they could but wouldn't be easier if we had two versions of the game like the dirt and dirt rally games? Codemasters can create a "sim" version of the game focused on physics/gameplay and create another version focused on singleplayer/content.

I don’t think that would work because if some people (like myself) play both offline and online modes, we don’t want to paying double to access that. It a difficult matter as every positive point would be matched or overweight with the negative 

12 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

I don’t think that would work because if some people (like myself) play both offline and online modes, we don’t want to paying double to access that. It a difficult matter as every positive point would be matched or overweight with the negative 

I have suggested that a spin off could be achieved. Have the regular game as is with yearly iterations, game modes all that etc.

Have the MP engine developed and allow DLC for the seasonal updates. That way you can follow whichever path or both.

• Agree 1

I personally would love 2 versions simply so that I could compete single player and maybe go for all the trophies and platinum without once ever having to be forced to go online and deal with all that absolute craziness. I'm sure those that play online only would also like to be able to complete all the online modes for completion without having to bother with single player at all.

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I personally would love 2 versions simply so that I could compete single player and maybe go for all the trophies and platinum without once ever having to be forced to go online and deal with all that absolute craziness. I'm sure those that play online only would also like to be able to complete all the online modes for completion without having to bother with single player at all.

It’s a good idea in theory but it doesn’t cater to the players who would want both the online and offline option. I would rather pay for 1 game with all elements then pay double the price for 2 separate modes unless you could add the second option for significantly less 

Posted (edited)

Agreed, I don't think 2 separate versions could really be a serious option, what it needs is options to increase or decrease the realism of the handling/physics model, so you can play at a more arcade level, or sim level, depending on your choice.

Some of that is already there, with the traction. braking, racing line options etc, but there's always room for improvement in the car physics themselves for those that need it.

Edited by Morsify

Looking at YouTube videos, F1 2020 will have the standard physics and handling mode and an arcade handling mode heavier on the assists.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MarilynKira said:

This is s question of existentialism, isn't it? Why don't we have two versions of ourselves? One that plays with a controller and on that doesn't?! 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, FOneFanatic said:

This is s question of existentialism, isn't it? Why don't we have two versions of ourselves? One that plays with a controller and on that doesn't?! 😂😂😂

Don't forgot also:

People that use cockpit view to approximate the real drivers view of the track ahead

and

People who use T-Cam to beat them!

🤔🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like better online options (or even better options in general) would go a long way toward making more people happy.

Edited by Zachrulez

Posted (edited)

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of how many of the players of F1 2019 would like a sim version of future releases and how many would like just one and for it to have the same sort of handling as it currently has. Even without doing a compulsory survey to get a truly representative picture of what people want, why would Codemasters produce another version of the same game when they have a deadline for just one version? They'll already have all sorts of stats about who plays the game and how, so even if they were to just go by the numbers of controller and wheel players, they would know what market to focus on. Imagine producing a sim version of the game just to satisfy what I would guess is a small percentage of players. Even then, there would still be sim players would wouldn't be happy with it!

Edited by WestHam66
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

I wonder if Lee Mather & co read Jean-Paul Sartre? 

On 5/17/2020 at 4:37 PM, MarilynKira said:

There should be a option for both online and single player on both

I made a suggestion in a different thread about having a "permanent game world" that consists of the tracks and paddocks and crowds and other not-changing stuff.  The only thing that would change would be the cars and drivers.  If these were designed in such a way that they just "fit" the game world, then they can be loaded in and out with ease - ie: no major programming changes needed.

Each year, Codies releases the latest lineup of cars and drivers, just as they do now.  But the older stuff wouldn't have to just go away, as it would already be part of the game world.  Loading a car from a past year would be simply a matter of loading that car and driving.  And designing one of the historic cars in the game would be a matter of creating it (which is the majority of the work) and integrating it into the existing world.  Future renditions of the game would simply be the updated cars, drivers, and liveries.  Anything from the past could remain, as it wouldn't need to be reprogrammed for the new version.

Ok, I know none of this is simple in any way, shape or form.  But you know what I mean.  😉

The biggest problem would be creating the initial world, which would probably take years of development.  But if they did, then the copy/paste could be used for the casual players, and a more formal F1 racing world would exist for the sim racers.

Or, they could just do away with the copy/paste and create a new world for both versions.  I'd be fine with that, too.  😉

And the game would be much more fit to be an eSport.  Just saying.

27 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I made a suggestion in a different thread about having a "permanent game world" that consists of the tracks and paddocks and crowds and other not-changing stuff.  The only thing that would change would be the cars and drivers.  If these were designed in such a way that they just "fit" the game world, then they can be loaded in and out with ease - ie: no major programming changes needed.

Each year, Codies releases the latest lineup of cars and drivers, just as they do now.  But the older stuff wouldn't have to just go away, as it would already be part of the game world.  Loading a car from a past year would be simply a matter of loading that car and driving.  And designing one of the historic cars in the game would be a matter of creating it (which is the majority of the work) and integrating it into the existing world.  Future renditions of the game would simply be the updated cars, drivers, and liveries.  Anything from the past could remain, as it wouldn't need to be reprogrammed for the new version.

Ok, I know none of this is simple in any way, shape or form.  But you know what I mean.  😉

The biggest problem would be creating the initial world, which would probably take years of development.  But if they did, then the copy/paste could be used for the casual players, and a more formal F1 racing world would exist for the sim racers.

Or, they could just do away with the copy/paste and create a new world for both versions.  I'd be fine with that, too.  😉

And the game would be much more fit to be an eSport.  Just saying.

Isn't each iteration the official game of that year's Formula One World Championship? Wouldn't they have to licence every car from every year over and over, reaching agreements with constructors and sponsors? 

1 minute ago, WestHam66 said:

Isn't each iteration the official game of that year's Formula One World Championship? Wouldn't they have to licence every car from every year over and over, reaching agreements with constructors and sponsors? 

You may be right.  I may be crazy.  Sorry if I just got a song stuck in your head.  😛

I suppose the biggest issue is always going to be licensing, isn't it?  Stupid money.  Always getting in the way of good ol' fun!  🤣