Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[FEATURE] Random car failures

Ok, this may look like another damage pool, but it isn't. Tell you why. Random car failures would be damage, maybe terminal, NOT made by crashes or mishaps...  :#

Remember the Lancer from 2004/2005? It would get A LOT of gearboxes broken. There was a rally in 2004 that Sebastien Loeb retired because its engine oil pressure had dropped to unsafe levels. And he didn't even hit anything! (As far as I remember).

So, I suggest that these get implemented:

-Tyre flatouts;
-Gear losses;
-Gearbox failures (stuck on neutral);
-Clutch failures (stuck on a gear);
-Headlight failures (specially on night stages);
-Electrical failures (resulting in car shutting down);
-Engines entering safe mode (half powered);
-Aaand whatnots...

This would greatly improve immersion.  ;)

This is too risky if you ask me. No one wants to lose through no fault of there own, which is why refs dont make mistakes for things like off sides in fifa games when they would in real life. It is just too frustrating and makes people feel they lost because of the game not through any fault of there own.
Okay maybe this could work if you were somehow responsible for maintaining the car or developing it's reliability(related to you engineers perhaps?), but just random would be too frustrating.

Hard to say. I think the AI needs a bit of a rethink or a few adjustments (I'll work on a longer post about this sometime), but so long as the AI suffer from random failures then so should the player too.

I'm torn on this. In theory it sounds cool, in practice randomness can be very frustrating.

If we had super-rally type rules where I could repair and restart then that could mitigate the annoyance.

It's a level of depth beyond what the game currently offers. Beyond the cars and the stages much of the game is very simplistic although fine from a functionality standpoint. I have no idea what the future holds in this regard.

If implemented it should also be optional, for those who do not wish to use it, for example leagues counld choose to include it for a realistic season type thing

I believe features like this would be good, but in a situation where if you are just playing normally and uncompetitively at home, you could switch this feature off as it would cause frustration but if they are going for a realistic sim this would be great, as we say over here In Ireland ''Shur thats rallying!''

I think its ok as it to be fair. If you mash your car too much Between stages and dont fix them up properly  at service your times are hurt accordingly. I just think it would be too annoying. 

No  to putrely random failure, but yes to failures in consequence of your reckless driving or mistakes. Thank you.

I think random failures should be an option. It's a bit risky to make them something permanent because you risk making the game punishing instead of challenging. Retirements due to mechanical failure are indeed a part of the real sport, but not everyone who's playing the game for fun is going to appreciate having their perfect rally ruined by an electrical failure on the last stage, after all, the player's skills had nothing to do with his loss and he would be right to rage quit. As a game that strives to be a simulation, this is something Codemasters should consider, but leave it open for the players to choose how hardcore they want their experience.

On side note. I'm having enough  random  failures at the moment with my pedals unplugging themselves and my mouse mat wedging itself under my handbrake just enough to make the car slow to a crawl. Along with people / kids  coming and going past me. Asking me strange  question's. 

I remember back in the days in such game-legends as Grand Prix and Grand Prix 2 you can choose between normal failure causing by an accident and mechanical failures in addition to that. As long as it can be turned on or off I think it's nice to have.

lol no, i have everytime on start a stage in wales a broken gearbox in Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500. i can´t never run a stage, this is until today not reperable in the game!!! other cars in game are ok!

I think it should depend on how damaged the part is. Like a broked gearbox could just break down completley instead of just missing gears. But the breaking down should be random and it should depend on the precent of the part. Like a 100% gearbox would have 0% chance in breaking down but a 31% gearbox would have 69% chance in breaking down.

yes some very good tips also car sounds should improve alot and maybe shock absorber problems  radiator leaking and  overheating etc.

(I'm crossing fingers for when I hit "Post Comment", my comment does get posted)

This is too risky if you ask me. No one wants to lose through no fault of there own, which is why refs dont make mistakes for things like off sides in fifa games when they would in real life. It is just too frustrating and makes people feel they lost because of the game not through any fault of there own.
Okay maybe this could work if you were somehow responsible for maintaining the car or developing it's reliability(related to you engineers perhaps?), but just random would be too frustrating.

Well, the original ideia is that the chance of mishaps would be really small. Let me draw you the picture:

1:21 there would be a 0.05% chance of getting the clutch stuck to neutral;
3:17 there would be a 1.2% chance of a tyre flatout;
5:05 there would be a 0.8% chance of puntured radiator.

And so on... like a rpg game :blush: 

Hard to say. I think the AI needs a bit of a rethink or a few adjustments (I'll work on a longer post about this sometime), but so long as the AI suffer from random failures then so should the player too.

This already happens. I always scroll down to see whats happening at the bottom of the championship. Sometimes I see "broken driveshaft" or "bent wing"...

I'm torn on this. In theory it sounds cool, in practice randomness can be very frustrating.

If we had super-rally type rules where I could repair and restart then that could mitigate the annoyance.

It's a level of depth beyond what the game currently offers. Beyond the cars and the stages much of the game is very simplistic although fine from a functionality standpoint. I have no idea what the future holds in this regard.

You are right! Maybe this kind of feature is beyond of what DiRT Rally will ever offer. Maybe not! Thats why I like this section so much! If Codies really take anything from what we write to this game, then we'll get what most people think we should get! :smiley: 

DiRT Rally is already one, if not the most, of the greatest launches of  '15. The fact that we may have the ability to improve it along with its developers is just... thrilling!

Bottom line: From what I read, I agree with the opinion it would better be an optional feature, maybe not even ported online. But it would be damn realistic to have this one...  :)

Yes, the point is to be frustrating. But lets consider it would not happen all the time. An engine that goes into safe mode every, say, 50 Greece stages, flatouts every 70 stages, something like that. What I had in my mind was actually pretty simple: There would be a very small percentage, at random times in the stage, that something could happen. Let me just illustrate:

0:43 there would be a 0,05% chance of gear loss;
1:21 there would be a 0,7% chance of tyre flatout;
3:02 there would be a 1% chance of broken radiator...

Random times, random failures, very small percentages.

I believe the AI already suffers from this kind of failures. After a stage, I always scroll down to see what happened there. Sometimes I see "broken driveshaft" or "overheated"...

I agree with you on this one. Maybe this game was not meant to get this hardcore. Maybe it is. This is why I'm loving this Suggestion Box. I hope Codies will develop DiRT understanding the preferences we are hinting here.
_____

After reading these first few posts, I agree with the suggestions this should be optional, perhaps only used in offline career mode.

Maybe something to be added with bonuses? Like "Random Failures +5% reward"

:) 

I really, really don't want to have to think at the end of a championship that... "i was robbed".

Playing a computer at chess and it sometimes, randomly starts making moves for you...
It wouldn't take long before you find another chess game that isn't winning by cheating you.  :smile: 

In no way am i saying i would go back to solely rallying in RBR and bin DR, but i would feal rather cheated of my
rightful place in the standings.

It's a hard one and i do like the idea, but for the reasons above i voted no.

I would make it optional and it should depend on your driving style.

I remember Mobil1 Rally Championship did quite a good job on this. In the longer rallies, you had to measure your pace or drive very cleanly. If you were too reckless - I was mostly - the gearbox would begin to break, you could lose gears, damage your radiator, which would lead to overheating and loss of power and so on. Service times were less generous, too. The game had its flaws (physics), but this endurance aspect was a good one.

Ok, this may look like another damage pool, but it isn't. Tell you why. Random car failures would be damage, maybe terminal, NOT made by crashes or mishaps...  :#

Remember the Lancer from 2004/2005? It would get A LOT of gearboxes broken. There was a rally in 2004 that Sebastien Loeb retired because its engine oil pressure had dropped to unsafe levels. And he didn't even hit anything! (As far as I remember).

So, I suggest that these get implemented:

-Tyre flatouts;
-Gear losses;
-Gearbox failures (stuck on neutral);
-Clutch failures (stuck on a gear);
-Headlight failures (specially on night stages);
-Electrical failures (resulting in car shutting down);
-Engines entering safe mode (half powered);
-Aaand whatnots...

This would greatly improve immersion.  ;)
Good list of things

I think it would be important to have reason for something to have problems. Like a broken part

Probable list of reasons 
- Problems could happen depending on percentage of damage in part and repair skills of your mechanics (how good are they with that part)
- Maybe in future will see a feature where you need to buy parts and manage budget. Highly priced parts have less problems vs. Low cost parts
- Skills of your mechanics have impact on repair quality not only time AND quality of updates. Like engine updates made by not so skilled mechanics in engines should start to get problems after update.
- maybe hard to implement and due Brand images etc. But some problems that are typical with some car models. (Like Peugeot 307 wrc had)

No thanks, there is nothing simulated about random things breaking for no reason other than random thing breaking.

Yes! It's part of rallying....sad and frustrating, but it belongs to rally.

If there will be "vehicle damage" difficulty,  hardcore mode could contain this feature :smile: