Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Dan Ticktum starts own F1 Team

Posted (edited)

F2 star Dan Ticktum has announced he will start his own F1 team, which he will also drive for, in 2021!

Oh, actually he hasn't because that's really stupid. When I want to play an F1 management game I turn on Motorsport Manager. The codemasters games are supposed to be licensed F1 DRIVING games. What a stupid feature for them to produce. Will obviously be rushed and ridiculously buggy too.

Edited by 1henryw
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 5

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

F2 star Dan Ticktum has announced he will start his own team in 2021!

Oh, actually he hasn't because that's really stupid. When I want to play an F1 management game I turn on Motorsport Manager. The codemasters games are supposed to be licensed F1 DRIVING games. What a stupid feature for them to produce. Will obviously be rushed and ridiculously buggy too.

I think it looks really good. The big difference is that you still have to drive so it is a mix of the 2 elements. I’m sure that if the BETA testers get access to it they will do what they can to ensure it has as few as bugs as possible.

Edited by cpayne32
Spelling error

Stroll owns Racing Point (yeah, actually his father, I know, but it's the same) and races for Racing Point

Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren and Graham Hill all drove for teams they formed themselves.

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

F2 star Dan Ticktum has announced he will start his own F1 team, which he will also drive for, in 2021!

It's a video game chief. The mode will most likely be fun. 

Sorry the concept of wide appeal and fun in video games is missed upon you.

• Agree 3

may not happen with f1 nowadays but drivers having and driving in their own teams is common in rally, nascar & indycar

Stroll does not manage racing point. It's part owned by his father.

I predict it wont work properly at launch just like every other new feature they bring in. Will take 3 or 4 patches as usual. 

Experienced drivers like Graham Hill owned teams in the 1960s when they were rich and near the end of their careers. The idea of an F1 rookie also managing the team is ridiculous.

They spent time on a new feature that doesnt belong in an f1 driving game. Why not expand the f1 season or another cool feature.

Does everyone seriously plan to play the regular ten season career and the team creator career as well? Or do you all just plan to stay in the same team for ten seasons? Dumb feature in my opin. Time could have been better spent elsewhere.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 1henryw said:

I predict it wont work properly at launch just like every other new feature they bring in. Will take 3 or 4 patches as usual.
To be fair, the games tend to need 3 or 4 patches to feel complete anyway. Most games are like that these days. I remember the days when a game had 1 patch a year after release and you had to send off for it with a self-addressed envelope and you'd get a floppy disk back 2 weeks later. We're lucky now. :classic_happy:

Experienced drivers like Graham Hill owned teams in the 1960s when they were rich and near the end of their careers. The idea of an F1 rookie also managing the team is ridiculous.
Being a big fan of vintage F1, I'm aware of that. I personally haven't seen anywhere where it strictly says that you play a rookie driving for your own team (correct me if I'm wrong). It's just "create a team, drive and manage". Something which I've always dreamed of in an F1 game, and I'm sure a few others have too.

I think it was "Weekend of a Champion" where I first saw Graham Hill driving his own team's car and thinking then "that would be cool, to run your own team, design the car and then drive it." Doesn't that sound like fun to you?

You made a comparison with Motorsport Manager - when you start a career in that, you have multiple options as to what your character's background is. Two of them are Financial and Political - would you expect a banker or a poltician to be directly managing the team down to the way the car's designed? Nope. It's just options which add to the fun. That's all this is, a bit of fun and a change from Career Mode. Pretend to be a driver, make up the scenario in your head as to how he or she got there, and play. That's all. Personally, I'm going to roleplay my character from Career mode retiring and starting a team, and I'll probably be playing them concurrently too, switch back and forth.

Actually, there's an idea in there - if you could import the driver roster from your career mode into My Team, so you could continue on from Career mode as if you've retired and the grid's full of F2 drivers. That would be cool.

Does everyone seriously plan to play the regular ten season career and the team creator career as well? Or do you all just plan to stay in the same team for ten seasons?
Speaking for myself, both. I'm looking forward to having something extra alongside career mode to enjoy. 👍

Edited by s00zster

If it was an option to say start your own team halfway through career mode when you were established that would be better. Not a feature I'd have picked but I'd be more on board. But this seems to be you start the 2020 season as a new rookie driver with your own team. There is no scenario I can come up with in my head where that would be remotely plausible. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 1henryw said:

What a stupid feature for them to produce. Will obviously be rushed and ridiculously buggy too.

I hope it works really well, just so it annoys you that you weren't right

Edited by WestHam66
  • Haha 1

You know what else isn't plausible? Driving in T-cam, deciding on the development path of your team or driving for Ferrari/Mercedes in your first year of F1.

It's a game.

• Agree 6

9 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

You missed the point, whole post was saying "It's a game". Which it is, so unless you feel soar after crash while driving, it is still just a game (no matter from which view you drive you are still sitting in your home and moving pixels on screen). Game is made so that it gives tools to players to create their stories, not to make them all have one same path. In this case it has a good and nice choice as I see it:

1) F1 season

2) F2 season

3) F1 career

4) F2->F1 career

5) Own team

6) In players imagination create story in between any of above and combine. I mean there are people with enough imagination to make a story and transition from career in F12018 to career F12019. Even though driver lineups are "messed up" in new game and car performance is not as in previous career it doesn't matter. Plus it's not completely impossible since it's F1, anything can happen (or at least it could before). :classic_biggrin:

Except making it possible to import car performance and driver lineups from career to my team (as someone above said), I don't see what they could do better to improve experience.

Posted (edited)

@1henryw why have you quoted me as posting something that I didn't? Go through my posts and you'll see I didn't say what you've quoted me as posting. I'd appreciate you removing it. Screenshot of said quote attached.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 15.00.48.png

Edited by WestHam66

2 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

You know what else isn't plausible? Driving in T-cam, deciding on the development path of your team or driving for Ferrari/Mercedes in your first year of F1.

It's a game.

I drive in cockpit view. Guys like Schumacher and Hamilton contributed alot to car development and I'm sure they worked with technical directors to jointly decide r and d directions etc.

9 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

@1henryw why have you quoted me as posting something that I didn't? Go through my posts and you'll see I didn't say what you've quoted me as posting. I'd appreciate you removing it. Screenshot of said quote attached.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 15.00.48.png

Apologies had alot of messages aimed at me at the same time. Replied to wrong person. Will delete the orig now. 

2 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

Apologies had alot of messages aimed at me at the same time. Replied to wrong person. Will delete the orig now. 

Thanks. Just seen the edit.

4 hours ago, 1henryw said:

If it was an option to say start your own team halfway through career mode when you were established that would be better. Not a feature I'd have picked but I'd be more on board. But this seems to be you start the 2020 season as a new rookie driver with your own team. There is no scenario I can come up with in my head where that would be remotely plausible. 

Now this I get behind. I hope in the future they do combine career and my team and maybe extend to like 15 or maybe even 20 seasons to be able to fully experience all aspects the game has. 

Personally, I'd like to see them add an option to retire as a driver but still run your team and hire 2 drivers and just sim the on track stuff.  If the my team portion is properly meaty it'd be a fun way to transition, especially later in the game cycle IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah as a separate entity for me it doesnt work. It means you will be stuck driving the same car for 10 seasons. Starting as a rookie with your very own team also takes away any kind of believability. If it was something you had the option to do as an experienced driver later in career that would be much better in my opin.

Having said that I'm clearly in the minority. Everyone seems to love the idea of the my team mode so I hope it's good. I'll do what I always do and wait a couple of months and see what issues if any emerge before I consider getting f1 2020. From what I've read they have made reasonable improvements to normal career so fingers crossed🤞

Is it even confirmed that you'll be controlling one character in my team? Maybe you are driver X and Team Boss Y at the same time.

3 hours ago, brsteg said:

Now this I get behind. I hope in the future they do combine career and my team and maybe extend to like 15 or maybe even 20 seasons to be able to fully experience all aspects the game has. 

Personally, I'd like to see them add an option to retire as a driver but still run your team and hire 2 drivers and just sim the on track stuff.  If the my team portion is properly meaty it'd be a fun way to transition, especially later in the game cycle IMO.

The problem with the My Team part of the career starting part way through  the lack of time people have. I know everyone's situation is different, but I've only been able to play my F1 2019 career for a total of four seasons because I'm not at work for five days a week due to Covid-19. When I was at work, it took me half a year to play two seasons, but it's taken me two months to complete two.

When I go back to work and can only play F1 2020 career for two seasons, I want to spend them in charge of my own team, not waiting around for season five to roll up so I can create my team. Anyway, if starting your own team at the start of your career is unrealistic, why is it more realistic to start one halfway through your career? Drivers don't start their own teams nowadays!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WestHam66 said:

The problem with the My Team part of the career starting part way through  the lack of time people have. I know everyone's situation is different, but I've only been able to play my F1 2019 career for a total of four seasons because I'm not at work for five days a week due to Covid-19. When I was at work, it took me half a year to play two seasons, but it's taken me two months to complete two.

When I go back to work and can only play F1 2020 career for two seasons, I want to spend them in charge of my own team, not waiting around for season five to roll up so I can create my team. Anyway, if starting your own team at the start of your career is unrealistic, why is it more realistic to start one halfway through your career? Drivers don't start their own teams nowadays!

This is exactly why I think combining could be good. Once you feel you've run your course in career mode as a driver (next game?) Create your team and do the team building with or without the driving (sim sessions). Would go much quicker wirhout, so expand available seasons; and no lose progress in the game team progressions and driver transfers.  Would feel like a Stewart it Prost career simulator. (Continued play)

If you wanted to do a simultaneous owner driver from the start and drive for existing team if it's one mode; just have multiple career mode saves.

Edited by brsteg

Was it also Emerson or his brother Wilson who started their own team and drove the car? 

And Graham Hill was already mentioned, so it pretty much shoots the argument down.

I think it is a good new addition, it has happened in real life several times, and in any case, in the game we have to make various decisions that the driver would not normally make, so why not run a team and drive for it?

Hey, there's also that good old thing called imagination - Between races, IMAGINE you're a team boss, then when it's time to drive, IMAGINE you are a racing driver. 

And the bottom line - everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's not designed around that one person, and no one has to play that mode if they don't want to.

As long as other, existing features of the game, e.g. the multiplayer, get the attention they (sometimes definitely) need, I'm all in for new content. Having more options attracts a wider player base and therefore strengthens the community. In the end, we're all here for some F1 related fun, either for driving or managing it.

I also don't think that Codemasters would've implemented this feature if there was no demand for it. Having a look at other genres, there are a lot of games that offer some kind of management feature, so having this in the game is a somewhat logical step to take at some point in time.