Sign in to follow this  

Handling of Mercedes over the years (Hopefully changed for 2020)

Hi all,

Hope you’re well!

I just wanted to bring up this discussion because it’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while but thought hopefully in the future it would be addressed, but unfortunately it hasn’t been. 

One thing I have realised since the hybrid era of games (let’s say starting in 2015) is that even though the Mercedes has dominated the season and is the fastest car by a mile. For some reason, in the game, the Mercedes is mostly fast due to its engine as opposed to having one of the best aero. Now despite me being a huge F1 fan, I’m not claiming to be an F1 expert by any means but even if we look at F1 2018 and F1 2019 the Ferrari and the Red Bull always had more downforce than the Mercedes. The Ferrari was always easier to drive and more stable let’s say. Based on watching F1, in my opinion I feel like this is quite far from the truth and if anything the Mercedes should only be second the the Red Bull and if it is second, that should be by a very small margin. Commentators such as Brundle and Crofty always talk about how planted the Mercedes looks but for some reason even though In game it is the fastest car, the downforce never really replicates the real life performance. 

Of course, I do understand that this season we haven’t even got up and away yet so it’s quite hard to tell but I really hope that the developers take a look at this and fix it for 2020, as it can only be expected that Mercedes are going to pick up where they left off. 

this is just my opinion and I understand that I may be wrong so I’d love to hear all of your perspectives 🙂

@BarryBL I’m so sorry I tag you in soo much stuff haha but I’d appreciate if you could pass this into the team 😄

thanks guys!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Mercedes engine is nuts in F1 2019, just look how well Perez does on power tracks like Spa. I agree it needs to be tweaked to be more realistic.

8 hours ago, TactXO said:

The Mercedes engine is nuts in F1 2019, just look how well Perez does on power tracks like Spa. I agree it needs to be tweaked to be more realistic.

What do you mean? I understand that it’s fast but I feel it’s more raw engine power and straight line speed. The downforce is up there with the top 3 but it’s not 3rd as demonstrated In the game 

I recall someone looking into the game code last year and finding that the performance code for each team hadn't been changed to reflect the changes in direction the teams had taken. As you said above Mercedes were still quickest due to their engine and Ferrari were better in the aero department. As we all know that was the opposite case last year with Ferrari having the strongest engine (illegally..)

Hopefully they have made more fundamental changes this year or are planning to when the season gets underway!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

yeah in 2019 that was way wrong. ferrari had the best PU for most of the season and mercedes was focussing on downforce with that car and was way ahead of everyone else.

ferrari was really struggling with understeer. but that all was not represented in the game.

Edited by KiLLu12258
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SASColfer said:

I recall someone looking into the game code last year and finding that the performance code for each team hadn't been changed to reflect the changes in direction the teams had taken. As you said above Mercedes were still quickest due to their engine and Ferrari were better in the aero department. As we all know that was the opposite case last year with Ferrari having the strongest engine (illegally..)

Hopefully they have made more fundamental changes this year or are planning to when the season gets underway!

Yeah thank you, I thought it was only me that realised it. Don’t think it’s fair that the Mercedes isn’t given the props for being the car it is. Has one of the highest if not the highest downforce on the grid. 

this year we haven’t seen the actual season begin but it’ll be a fair assumption to say merc will have the car with the highest downforce.

I also don’t mean to come across as such a fan boy but I am a Mercedes fan and I’d love their downforce to be replicated. Codemasters have definitely got it right before, for example from F1 2010 - F1 2013. The red bull was the most stable car so, don’t think it’s fair for them to assume that the Merc is really just power, when it’s really more downforce>Power

Posted (edited)

Its a GAME. If we make the Merc as all powerful as you suggest, then there would be no need to compete in the game. In Grand Prix mode for example if you set it to the correct difficulty then the Merc would win by miles and you could not compete. 

Its a game, they take the real data and balance it out the best they can to make it interesting and fun for all players to play. 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Its a GAME. You sound like a Mercedes fan boy. If we make the Merc as all powerful as you suggest, then there would be no need to compete in the game. In Grand Prix mode for example if you set it to the correct difficulty then the Merc would win by miles and you could not compete. 

Its a game, they take the real data and balance it out the best they can to make it interesting and fun for all players to play. 

not true. they could just give ferrari the best engine (as in rl) so that this car can compete on the straights.

you just give a weird excuse for something which was just wrong. And in a "official f1 game" there should be (as close as possible) the official car performance.

edit: and if you want fair races, play with same performance for every car. thats there for exactly this.

Edited by KiLLu12258

2 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Its a GAME. You sound like a Mercedes fan boy. If we make the Merc as all powerful as you suggest, then there would be no need to compete in the game. In Grand Prix mode for example if you set it to the correct difficulty then the Merc would win by miles and you could not compete. 

Mate, of course it’s a GAME. but them giving Merc real life downforce levels is only just as the game aspires to have car handling/ car performance as close to real life as possible. I’m not here to tell them how to do it as it’s not my job but they’ve proven to us in the past that they can get car handling right according to the teams. In F1 2010-2013. Red Bull dominated the sport and Codemasters got their handling in the game down to the tea. Did that detter people from playing the game? I don’t think so. Did AI disappear into the distance? I don’t think so. So it’s unfair for you to say that. Codemasters always come out and reiterate there commitment to making an effort to make car performance levels as close to real life. I’m just pointing out something that is quite clear to me   

Posted (edited)

Lee Mather, the head of the game, has already said they use the data, but also must factor in game playability. Hence why last year the Williams literally wasn't 4-5 seconds off the pace in the game when the player was driving it. The same has been said about this years game full interview is on racefans.com

As for last years game handling the Mercedes was the full package hence why every top time on the time trial leaderboard was set in one as usual. I got into the top 3% on most tracks leaderboards because of the Mercedes handling and downforce, I couldn't post those times in the Ferrari or any other car literally impossible.  

Edited by TomAAA

5 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Lee Mather, the head of the game, has already said they use the data, but also must factor in game playability. Hence why last year the Williams literally wasn't 4-5 seconds off the pace in the game when the player was driving it. The same has been said about this years game full interview is on racefans.com

As for last years game handling the Mercedes was the full package hence why every top time on the time trial leaderboard was set in one as usual. I got into the top 3% on most tracks leaderboards because of the Mercedes handling and downforce, I couldn't post those times in the Ferrari or any other car literally impossible.  

Fair enough mate, Never thought about that with the Williams. Just an opinion of mine anyway!

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tomi1997 said:

Fair enough mate, Never thought about that with the Williams. Just an opinion of mine anyway!

Wasn't trying to get at you, was just pointing out why they went in the direction they have.

Easy way for them to fix it and keep everybody happy, give us the option for 'equal' car performance on time trial and Grand Prix single player modes etc. That way they can dial the performance down exactly for use in 'Realistic' performance and also have the option for 'equal' 

We've been crying out for those options for a few years now 

Edited by TomAAA

I don't think it's so much wanting the Merc to be further ahead of Ferrari/Redbull, it's that they failed to reflect the correct differences in performance. Merc last year should have been higher downforce/chassis and less power. Ferrari should have been higher in power and perhaps lower in downforce. You would still have the same gaps in race performance across a full lap but would reflect that Ferrari had massively improved their engine and was the best in the field.

The game unfortunately still had Merc with the best engine/power which wasn't true.

I feel in F1 2019 they balanced it near perfection, Ferrari was the faster straight line car in F1 2019, this has been documented over the net, probably not as much as in real life but OK.

Mercedes was quite a bit more responsive and agile, making it more agile made it also slightly more nervous and difficult to drive, it turns in faster it also bites faster, Ferrari was made slower to respond but stable.

So overall Mercedes the faster car, but a bit tougher to drive.