Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dirt monthly thread

I might be wrong, but doesn't the ability to reset come in towards the end of the event's lifespan? It was like that for every monthly I remember prior; I think it started on the final week or so.
No, the event restart is "unticked". It's usually ticked when it allows for restarts, whether you've completed the event or not.
Cool, didn't think to look at that.

Frankly, I hope event resets stay off. If you bunce it, you bunce it :)  

Finished! This is the second monthly I've completed, and my first long event with the 205. I'll admit, I was not in best form in Wales. On stage 2 I rolled on the first corner and got a rear puncture, tried to keep going but rolled a second time and slid on my side for what felt like hours. I slid back onto my wheels and decided to fix the tire, I think I lost about 45 seconds on top of the penalty. The rest of the stages were slow and clumsy, but no resets or punctures.

Not a great way to finish the event, but still a finish. According to the 3-tier results screen I did best in Monte Carlo, but I felt most comfortable in Germany. I think I've had my fair share of the 205 for a while, time to drive something else.  :D

This monthly was very tough. Choosing the S4, I lost time in Monaco and Germany to the very quick folks that were using the 205, was happy with only being 20 seconds off the lead after Germany though... zeXav is just nuts on tarmac.

I managed to claw it back in Greece and turn my 20 second disadvantage into a 26 second lead, but that's when gheeD really was on fire, and took a big chunk of time from me as well - but I still had an advantage over both him and zeXav.

My main focus in Wales was to drive as fast as I dared while making sure to keep the car on the road. I reckoned I could hold onto my lead like that. gheeD dropped a massive chunk of time on SS22 Pant Mawr though... giving me a lead of almost a minute. After that I reckoned I could just cruise through the final two stages. I still had a spin on SS24 Geufron Forest though, but a quick recovery kept the timeloss to a minimum.

If gheeD hadn't had his mishaps in Monaco and Wales, he would've had me easily with his sheer speed and confidence behind the wheel of the 205. I got lucky... but I'd like to think my "cautiously quick" approach and consistency helped as well.

Yeah, Monte was going pretty fine for me (actually started liking it driving it so much last few days :p ) until i clipped a wall and got puncture and lost some 34s on a stage. Afterwards rest of monte and also germany were just horrible because I just didnt have any feeling for the tarmac. I just trusted I'd make the time back in Greece and Wales, which I did (not enough though... :P ) except for a spin somewhere in wales too.

It was quite fun to do the whole monthly in one sitting :D

Welp, pressed retire when i thought monthly still had restarts enabled. gg

gheeD said:
Welp, pressed retire when i thought monthly still had restarts enabled. gg
Did that on the first stage last month, won't do that again :D 

The Seat has to be one of the most sturdy cars in the game. I planted it into trees in Finland, hit all kinds of obstacles, rolled a few times, stuffed it into numerous snowbanks in Sweden, spun a few times and rolled again... Not a single puncture and it is still running.

The little yellow fellow (oh, that's a nice one) deserves better than my crappy driving. I'm going to treat it better in Germany and Monte Carlo, I promise.

I was just going to hit up the 306 as usual, but i'm wondering if i shouldn't just abuse the Ibiza instead :D

YoMrWhite said:

The Seat has to be one of the most sturdy cars in the game. I planted it into trees in Finland, hit all kinds of obstacles, rolled a few times, stuffed it into numerous snowbanks in Sweden, spun a few times and rolled again... Not a single puncture and it is still running.

The little yellow fellow (oh, that's a nice one) deserves better than my crappy driving. I'm going to treat it better in Germany and Monte Carlo, I promise.

Thanks! This has made my decision for the kit car-monthly.

The 306 is faster, but a few test runs through Finland confirm that it can puncture at any moment. The monthly is all about consistency and avoiding damage, and the "little yellow fellow" is a lot more forgiving.

foppaldo said:
YoMrWhite said:

Thanks! This has made my decision for the kit car-monthly.

The 306 is faster, but a few test runs through Finland confirm that it can puncture at any moment. The monthly is all about consistency and avoiding damage, and the "little yellow fellow" is a lot more forgiving.

Indeed. It's a shame I couldn't keep my concentration up. Shouldn't have done Finland and Sweden in one go, I guess.

I hadn't sunk my teeth into the kit cars in v2 so getting behind the wheel on the ibiza was pure joy :-) There are hardly any big moments in it, every tricky situation can be solved.

Just done all 18 stages available so far. Had a terrible time in Finland, 3 punctures on 3 stages in a row lost me a lot of time as well as a few offs as I just couldn't get a good setup for the car.

Sweden was better but not much, had a few spins and an off in to some spectators, jumped up 7 places on the last stage thanks to a very fast run (6th in the world) which put me in 38th Position overall.

I knew I just had to survive the first 12 to move up the leaderboard on the tarmac, so rpaired my car to fully 100% everything before the Monte stages and went for it.

Had a good run on all stages, just 1 small spin, but managed to climb 18 places to 20th overall, and took just over a minute overall out of the leaders. Still over 2 minutes behind them, but I think I can just get into the Top 10 if I push hard in Germany.

I knew I just had to survive the first 12 to move up the leaderboard on the tarmac, so rpaired my car to fully 100% everything before the Monte stages and went for it.
That was exactly my strategy. Sort of... In my case it's being more than 6 minutes behind after 12 stages, but only losing roughly 1 more minute in Monte Carlo.

Was going to do the monthly in one sitting - with a careful approach all the way through to avoid accidents and hopefully grab the victory with consistency.

Puncture on SS4, Kontinjärvi... roll on SS6. Was second overall after Finland I think. Once I reached Sweden I caught up easily and was in the lead by SS9. Then, of course... SS10, Ransbysäter. Anticheat triggered, tossed me down to 1111th place. Well... save and exit in service area there, and standing by until Hatward can reinstate my time.

Fucking shit.

Another month with the kit cars! Surprising, but personally very pleased as it gives me another shot after messing up last month badly, and I feel it's a class I have a decent pace in.

Still, I'm going to hold off until the "anti-puncture" release is out.

foppaldo said:
Another month with the kit cars! Surprising, but personally very pleased as it gives me another shot after messing up last month badly, and I feel it's a class I have a decent pace in.

Still, I'm going to hold off until the "anti-puncture" release is out.
You and me both, i messed up so badly that i couldn't stop the auto retire part way through the stage from engine failure, even if i had it on 90% repaired before i started :( (yes i was exiting out and trying again to make a repair work)

Yeah, so that was disappointing.

First stage. The game doesn't register that I cross the finish line. (I've experienced that on River Severn Valley previously as well. There's a glitch there somewhere. Screenshot in bug thread.)

No way to progress. Forced to retire. Can we have kit cars in May as well, please? :(

foppaldo said:
Yeah, so that was disappointing.

First stage. The game doesn't register that I cross the finish line. (I've experienced that on River Severn Valley previously as well. There's a glitch there somewhere. Screenshot in bug thread.)

No way to progress. Forced to retire. Can we have kit cars in May as well, please? :(
You could've Alt+F4'd. I think that under these circumstances that would've been acceptable. 
Also, please no more Kit Cars, this is the second month in a row with them :D 

Finished the monthly today. Had done Wales and Monte earlier, without any major problems. Today drove Finland and Greece in one sitting. Hit the ditch and rolled on the roof in one of the Finland stages, +15 sec, then in the next stage got a bit wrong trajectory on one of the crests and took out some spectators, that's another +15 seconds. In Finland also damaged the radiator and had the engine light come on. After fixing it managed to damage the radiator again, and a bit later the engine light was back on. Reading what happened to @tbtstt I eased off a bit and got to the end of Finland. Greece was a lot less punishing and in the service area after the first two Greece stages my 306 was back to 100%. No real drama after that, just a cruise to the finish line :) But please, no more kit cars :D