Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dirt weekly thread

OzoreXS said:
yah.... but what about the alt+f4 "thing"???
Well, if they can make it so it doesn't work for dailies, I'm sure they can do it for weeklies as well! :D

Finished the weeklys. In the 70s one took the Fiat, which I had bought yesterday for the owners daily, so it had no upgrades. Got in the top 20%, so I guess it's not that bad for a stock car. 
With the kit cars suffered through and got somewhere near the bottom of top tier. My least favorite class in the game.
OzoreXS said:
yah.... but what about the alt+f4 "thing"???
Well, if they can make it so it doesn't work for dailies, I'm sure they can do it for weeklies as well! :D
Then they would have to make weeklys non restartable, otherwise it would just be an extra annoyance for those, who tend to mess up sometimes. Yes, you could argue that there are no restarts in real life, but this isn't real life, it's still just a game

yes thats the thing alot of people just rinse and repeat then go in well versed.

i just thought by going in only once it would make it more interesting.

dgeesi0 said:
yes thats the thing alot of people just rinse and repeat then go in well versed.

It wouldn't be very interesting if you made a mistake and the game was like "thank you, come back next week"

I do the odd daily/monthly/weekly, but in general i stay away from them due to the being able to cancel in the weekly/monthly events, causing people to just 'hot lap' it until they get a good clean run without any real consequences if they do fail, destroys the thrill imo.

Also the fact that they give you what the daily's are kinda ruins them for me too, people just practice a lot with the given combo of car/track then jump in with their 'eye in'. I would much prefer the daily's to be blind, and the weekly/monthly's to be setup so you are unable to quit/alt f4 or what ever.

Having these two things would likely cause changes in the leader boards, and may actually cause some of the "hotlap till i get a good one" people to not always be on the top of the ladders, resulting in more "realistic" and "accurate" times to be posted, which in my opinion is better for everyone.

I should mention that I don't restart just because my time isn't the quickest in weekly and monthly events... granted, it happens that I crash out, save and exit, and have another go out of pure annoyance - or simply don't have time to finish them all - but generally I really do try to complete as many stages as possible in a single go.

This is pretty apparent in the monthly, which starts off in germany... look at my stage times there. I'm having issues squeezing speed out of the Lancia on tarmac, so I don't think I was in the lead even once. Only when reaching the loose stuff in Wales did I feel comfortable and could push the car to the limit. However, I did save and exit after the welsh stages to take a break before doing the greek ones... because who honestly does 18 stages in one go?

But yeah, I felt I needed to point this out, as some people assume that I can't get decent results without a massive amount of restarts per stage.

I should mention that I don't restart just because my time isn't the quickest in weekly and monthly events... granted, it happens that I crash out, save and exit, and have another go out of pure annoyance - or simply don't have time to finish them all - but generally I really do try to complete as many stages as possible in a single go.

This is pretty apparent in the monthly, which starts off in germany... look at my stage times there. I'm having issues squeezing speed out of the Lancia on tarmac, so I don't think I was in the lead even once. Only when reaching the loose stuff in Wales did I feel comfortable and could push the car to the limit. However, I did save and exit after the welsh stages to take a break before doing the greek ones... because who honestly does 18 stages in one go?

But yeah, I felt I needed to point this out, as some people assume that I can't get decent results without a massive amount of restarts per stage.
I'm not having a dig at you man, or any of the other guys either, i know you guys are fast full stop.

I just wanted to get my point across about how it makes me feel that it is possible at all.

I mean sure, allow quitting in between stages, but i don't think it should be allowed mid stage without a consequence.

No I know Phorkz, worry not - I did say "some people" - not you specifically. ;) I also totally understand what you're saying, but I can't think of a clever response to it.

:(

Phorkz you mirror my own thoughts. i dont mind admitting people are quicker than me and i think it would just make the events more interesting.

thats why i mentioned it.

what you say is also true porkchops. who sits and does 18 tracks in one go not many.

so maybe a little tweak change that meets middle ground.

I have taken the Gr.B weekly to upgrade the Metro 6R4. My driving was clean and "fast"... well as much as the stock MG can go, actually not such fast. Final position: 175 ATM :neutral: 

2010 went a bit better. 15th ATM. Did the entire event in a single run :blush:  (no ALT+F4 ed)
My Car setup still not good enough. My hands/foots neither.

Didzis said:
dgeesi0 said:

It wouldn't be very interesting if you made a mistake and the game was like "thank you, come back next week"
I think it would be much more interesting. One shot, one kill. : }

I agree with 'Kill the restarts'.

Rallying is about that fine line between pace and finishing.  Look at the current WRC, Thierry Neuville and Kris Meeke both complain of having to drive at 110% all of the time to try to even match the VW's.  They, inevitably, go off in style, because the pace is so OTT.  They don't get to Alt+F4 or they'd be right up there....  Mads Osberg maybe drives at 95-98% but is now beating them both in the Drivers Championship with a more steady calculated pace.

Some people, I included, are racing leagues where the racing time is delimited to a single run at a fixed schedule.

100 minutes for 12 stages to be specific.

No saving possibility, and just a few (or none) service area. 

It still brings you the posibility to alt+F4 it, but the time is running against you as the event is closed at certain time. I wish it could be like in daily stages: you alt+F4, youre out and cannot rejoin.

Pros: approach to the reality
Cons: many people cant match the scheduled times.

We did the same each evening too, limited time to complete.  It was enjoyable but under-subscribed due, as you say, to the schedule timing.  We relaxed & widened the availability to complete & the interest seemed to fizzle out and no one participated

F2 weekly: First four stages wasn't bad, but the last two ones I had some pretty bad mistakes in the darkness which seem to have costed me the overall lead. Oh well. Kudos to ROFLwolf for being able to see in the dark.

Group B weekly: Since my stage times in the 205 were mediocre at best, I decided to reset the event and re-do it with the MG Metro 6R4 - because it's fun and I have a perfect tarmac setup for it. I ran it all in one go and had heaps of fun doing so. Currently 35th overall - but hey! I'm the fastest Metro... ;) And it did manage a 5:49 on Frauenberg, and 5:44 on Oberstein... top tier was easily secured. I'm so proud of this little car.

F2 weekly: Looking at a top 100. For an all Greece event I'm delighted with that. As an added bonus I've gotten a basic feel for what gear I'm supposed to be in for half the stages; pacenotes be damned.

Group B weekly: Reset this event once. I was so tired the first time that I launched the pug into the woods. Twice. Within the space of half a minute. Drove extremely safely on the second attempt, as I didn't have time for another reset. Currently 17th, so that's not too shabby. Safe is (quite) fast, mmmkay?

Group B weekly - I like Germany stages, but not a fan of rain. Drove with the pug and the slippery tarmac caused some lock ups while braking. Had a few spins too. Overall I'm happy with my 109th place :d
F2 weekly - did that just now, also used a pug :D relatively clean, (just one stage restart, usually I mess something up an restart multiple times), I'm not very fast with the kit cars, but middle of top tier is ok :D That's usually my goal - to get in the top tier

F2 weekly: First four stages wasn't bad, but the last two ones I had some pretty bad mistakes in the darkness which seem to have costed me the overall lead. Oh well. Kudos to ROFLwolf for being able to see in the dark.

Group B weekly: Since my stage times in the 205 were mediocre at best, I decided to reset the event and re-do it with the MG Metro 6R4 - because it's fun and I have a perfect tarmac setup for it. I ran it all in one go and had heaps of fun doing so. Currently 35th overall - but hey! I'm the fastest Metro... ;) And it did manage a 5:49 on Frauenberg, and 5:44 on Oberstein... top tier was easily secured. I'm so proud of this little car.
Metro is a lovely handly car but it lacks power! If it has 50/80 bhp more It would be a much more ineresting car.

Weekly Ford RS 2001 (stock) + Germany = boring!
I can do it faster running xD

...just did it to improve a bit the car.

Yeah, that was a surprise, wasn't it. Anyway, it gave me an excuse to get the Lancia Integrale. What a lovely little car! Felt at home right away and had tons of fun on the two Welsh stages.

My Group A weekly went very, very well. Initially I was going to use the Subaru, but I find it rather useless compared to the Integrale handling-wise (I guess it's a matter of taste), and no amount of tweaks to the setup could make me match my Integrale's times - so the next choice was obvious. Every single stage went excellent, all of them done with default setup. Long live the Integrale!