Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dirt weekly thread

First time doing a weekly event and it went better than expected. I found a tarmac setup for the 01 Subaru that really fits me well, it's a bit loose but not too loose. Anyway, it wasn't perfect but i'm happy sitting at 19th with 24:53:223.

Under-steered like a bastard. Hadn't driven the '95 Subie in a while, so my setup was all wrong, and I couldn't get a good rhythm going. 

Now read what I just put all over again, but in a grumpy Jari Matti Latvala voice. 

Um, just wanted to say, what the ever living F$%K happened tonight to the weekly?!

I had already done the first 3 stages, Lancia, no problem.
Tonight i log on, try the Daily in the Mini and Greece, too slippery for me, still haven't practiced with V2 yet.  So i try to do at least one more on the Weeekly, find things awfully slippery on the second Greece stage, odd as i've raced there many times with the Delta.

Crash hard, go to reset (i normally don't unless i really bin it) and that's gone!!! yay, so people can't essentially cheat their way to better weekly times :)  Anyway, driving the rest of the stage, i'm sliding really far sideways, at low speeds, can't stop it, fall off the track a LOT, brakes on going backwards, doesn't stop me sliding off, it's really feeling weird and an awful lot like the slipperiness of the Mini in the Daily....  My back end is just going straight on at normal corners and smacking the rock faces....

I was over 5 minutes down at the end, so many 15 second resets and a smashed up car.

Next, rain in Finland, haven't played much of this, in fact, not much DR since the update, but, Delta, i'm quite good in that, end up blind-sided by a rock and puncture, so i figure it's near the start, i eat the 1:30 penalty.  Four sectors later and i get two rear punctures.

Retired, you cannot drive with two rear punctures....  A very depressing Weekly, but only for the last 2 (can't race the third) stages and only tonight.

Don't know what car to buy for the 2000's weekly. :neutral:
Conclusion so far is that I like neither the Focus nor the Impreza for Germany. Will try a couple of stages in other countries and see if one of them give me a more positive vibe then.

I went for the subie, it's a delightful machine. I've been running a few customs with it to get it fully upgraded, and once I got it maxed I went on to the weekly. Did the first four stages last night with default setup and it's very controllable but still fun to drive. Not entirely comfortable with it yet but hey, currently at around 60th place after 4 stages (no resets) :-)

Just done my 2000's weekly. It was the single most uncomfortable thing I've ever done in this game. And to think there are people that goes like "yes this is realistic, please keep this" .. they're insane. :(

On the plus side I'm second overall, even though I made some mistakes here and there... so perhaps I'm not the only one not adjusting to this sea cruise so brilliantly.

Just done my 2000's weekly. It was the single most uncomfortable thing I've ever done in this game. And to think there are people that goes like "yes this is realistic, please keep this" .. they're insane. :(

On the plus side I'm second overall, even though I made some mistakes here and there... so perhaps I'm not the only one not adjusting to this sea cruise so brilliantly.
Guess I'm insane then, or I'm missing something. I've never driven a rally car, but I'm prone to... ahem... inspired driving with my regular 200bhp 4WD car. And for me, v2 physics gives me a much more real feel to driving than v1. The cars simply respond more in a manner that I would expect them to. 
But I'm no expert on these matters, and I might be wrong here. Just saying that my subjective feeling is that v2 handles much more like a real car would than v1. That being said, I do think that v2 can be tweaked to be even better.

The Fulvia was always horrific to drive @Porkhammer , even in V1 guise.  I remember feeling the same about it the first time I had it in Greece

Completely!! :)

Oh...  Germany in a 2001 - I now understand your pain, its your very own pet-hate combo!  lol

Well, let's just say that those WRC cars had more grip than this. ;)
Yup, that's one of the things I think might be a bit off in v2. Might be that grip overall was lessened to make v1 cars even able to lose grip, but weren't tweaked to a good setting in v2. Aerodynamics in v2 at high speeds also seem a bit weird. An educated guess is that downforce at speed is too low or that the wing effect is exaggerated.

Did two stages in the Focus at the start of the week. Drove fine but looking at the results it was clear that I had no chance even getting in the top tier with no upgrades. So did some custom championships and gonna have a go again :D

Retries are off on both weeklies? Does this mean alt-F4 exploit to restart stages is fixed aswell?

So far so good for the Weekly 2. 7th overall, but I'm aware that by the end of the week I will slip to something between 30th~50th.

The Stratos was just terrifying to drive in Finland with rain. Did spin a couple of times, but I'm happy that I did everything in one go, without restarting... :blush: 

Got beat by another Brazilian (Maurilio_BR), but had an awesome challenge with @Lapaljak , staying in front by only .135 second after long 43 minutes (awesome awesome awesome!!). Pretty happy to beat @Evilsmurf also... :blush: 

Decided to do the weeklys nice and early this week :D Bought a Kadett and went for it. Was a bit surprised that a 70s car with no upgrades can reach over 190 km/h but I'm not complaining :D Naturally, did have some mistakes here and there but overall it was ok. I'm currently 9th, just above @Evilsmurf . 
The 60s weekly was actually fun to drive with the Mini. I guess that's thanks to the v2 handling. Before that I really didn't like the 60s cars, now they feel a lot better :) So far I am 14th

Currently 3rd in the 60s weekly! Woop! :smiley:

Even though a lot of the very good drivers haven't completed it yet, it's still going to be by far my best overall result for a long time. The Wales-Mini combo is <3

Holy crap, @Porkhammer ! What are you feeding your Mini!?

Would you mind doing a recording of a run through one of the stages?
I thought Simmoniti's time would prove a challenge, but you've demolished it.

foppaldo said:
Holy crap, @Porkhammer ! What are you feeding your Mini!?

Would you mind doing a recording of a run through one of the stages?
I thought Simmoniti's time would prove a challenge, but you've demolished it.
Sure thing, any stage in particular you have in mind?

Anyone of them is good, but River Severn or Bronfelen for the whole experience? Whichever direction you prefer.