Jump to content Jump to content

The Dirt weekly thread

Porkhammer

Second 2000's weekly done. Steady SS1, pushing a little harder on SS2... had a couple of great stages in Germany. In Finland, however, I slowed right down! Extremely slow times, but I can happily report that I suffered 0 punctures as a result, and grabbed the lead... though I have this strange feeling that someone will take advantage of my slow finnish stages and eat my lead for breakfast.
Going into ruschberg in 2nd weekly, black screen and racenet connection failed... pfffffffffff

edit: deleted the contents of dirt rally folder and redownloaded the game. Looks like it fixed the error now.
Did the group B weekly. Took the Lancia (don't really like the Manta). It's actually really fun to drive when you're not driving on snow :D In Wales the 037 feels like a completely different car compared to the last few group B RWD weeklys that were in Sweden. Did pretty well, so far 18th out of 155

I plan on doing the 60's weekly with the Alpine :)
Am I imagining things or have codies adjusted the 037 with the 1.1 patch? That hypersensitive steering feels much more in line, and I actually had fun driving it instead of it being a full on war to keep it doing what I want :-) So much fun that I scoffed at the results and just drove it like a madman, laughing when I crashed due to my errors instead of the usual "dafuq just happened there" I usually get with the 037.
Dytut said:
Am I imagining things or have codies adjusted the 037 with the 1.1 patch? That hypersensitive steering feels much more in line, and I actually had fun driving it instead of it being a full on war to keep it doing what I want :-) So much fun that I scoffed at the results and just drove it like a madman, laughing when I crashed due to my errors instead of the usual "dafuq just happened there" I usually get with the 037.
Wow, alright, that's how i felt with it too, guess i'm choosing the 037 instead this time :)
Just did the 60s weekly. Took the Alpine (as did almost everyone else :D). It's really fun to drive. Had a few close calls, but those didn't slow me down much aparently, because I was a bit blown away, when I checked the results. I'm currently 21st out of 1770, I didn't think I'd do that good :o I think it's my new favorite car :D 
60's weekly, Greece: Chose the Alpine. Went as quickly as I dared, and was leading briefly - but gheeD overtook me eventually. I wish I dared pushing just a little bit more in these weeklies. Oh well, my hat's off to you, sir.

Group B RWD weekly, Wales: Chose the 037. I cannot push the 037 due to its hypersensitive steering, so I decided for a cruising pace, and only lost 5 seconds per stage - putting me 2nd overall for the time being. I tip my hat to ramPage for his blistering pace through the welsh forests.
Just finished the 60s weekly. The leaderboard is pretty hilarious - nothing but A110s for the first 1/3 at least. Of course I picked the A110 as well as I haven't used it for any events yet. Took it smooth and steady, I found a good rhythm and had a very clean and enjoyable run, aside from a few moments: On stage 5 I clipped that one rock on the downhill section near the end and did a nice flip onto my roof, slowly rolled back onto the road and kept going. On stage 6 I went wide near the end and hit a pole. No headlights is Greece is really scary! Had to drive like a grandma for the last bit.
The forced choice of the Alpine for the 60s daily. It went pleasingly uneventful for the most part. I suck with RWDs and I'm slow as a snail in Greece, so that put me 2min 31s behind gheeD. That was still 1min 20s in front of the first Mini, so yeah, the 60s class is well and truly broken.
I can't help but wonder if the 60's cars would be brought closer together if only the default gearing was sorted on the Mini and the Fulvia.

Seriously, the Alpine is beautiful to drive, but if anything, the regular and normal gearing allows good pulls leaving it in the powerband for each gear.

The Mini and Fulvia both have amazingly bad default gearing, further stunting their performance, i never drove a Cooper, only a slower Mayfair that my sister had, and it didn't have FUBAR gear ratios or trouble pulling, my friends Cooper had it even easier.
I can't help but wonder if the 60's cars would be brought closer together if only the default gearing was sorted on the Mini and the Fulvia.

Seriously, the Alpine is beautiful to drive, but if anything, the regular and normal gearing allows good pulls leaving it in the powerband for each gear.

The Mini and Fulvia both have amazingly bad default gearing, further stunting their performance, i never drove a Cooper, only a slower Mayfair that my sister had, and it didn't have FUBAR gear ratios or trouble pulling, my friends Cooper had it even easier.
My more or less perfected setup for the Mini rewarded me with a 6:24 on Perasma Platani in Greece. The same stage, done in the Alpine, with slightly adjusted gearing and suspension, was 5:52.

No amount of setup tweaks can bring the Mini - or the Fulvia - anywhere near the Alpine.
:(  Ugh.

That's pretty bad, and unfortunately, i can't see them performing a balance pass on the class now :(  Despite it clearly needing one.  I am *owning* the elite championship without even thinking about it.  I run the default setup and pull 15 seconds a sector sometimes, just off the line.

I'm curious how much the Alpine tweaks helped that time, but that's still a huge gap.
Alright, new weekly! Barely nudged myself under the 40 minute mark for the 80s weekly, yaaay! BMW had been rusting in the garage for a while, had to take it out and use this weekly to renew setups. Considered the Renault 5, try to get accustomed to it, but gave up after a single practice run. Didn't practice for the BMW at all, even Finland. O_o
70's - upgrade run... Everyone must be in the same boat.  Lost monitor signal on the 2nd stage, jumped on the pause button, got pic back and seen the inevitable...  Had to reset to track - 15 secs.  Surprisingly, clawed it back in ultrafast time!  Fun stages
I've finally gotten rid of my habit to screw up the final stage. Because I replaced it with the habit of screwing up the first stage instead.

70s: Took the MkII. As soon as I entered the forest I bumped off and damaged the car severly. Lost well over a minute. Second stage, did the same thing again - only faster! Must have broken the diff, as the wheels didn't have any power. Retired.

80s: Renault Turbo. Bumped off and got reset. Damaged car. Lost well over a minute in 500th place. Drove my way back up to 30-ish. The headlights on that car were horrible! Effectively cut the field off vision in two. Couldn't see what was coming ahead at all; which is a seerious problem in Finland...
Man, i was really excited to get the Renault 5 Turbo in the update. I drove it all week after the download and love it!
It suits my style great even without any tuning.

To have a next Weekly Event  event be 80's class in 3 of my favourite locations was perfect.. :)

I did the event shortly after it appeared Monday and had a really good run through all 6 stages, yet i'm surprised and pleased to see myself still holding 1st place on what is now Friday. Will i hold on for my first weekly number one?

The other weekly was fun too as it was with another favourite car, the Opel Kadett on nice dirt in Wales.
Holding top 10 there too.
Yeay. 
80's weekly done... first stage went pretty well, but the rest of the stages were a bit sloppy. My cautiously quick approach didn't always pay off; I ended up trying to take some risks, and I paid for each and every one of those moments -  and in Finland I lost massive chunks of time, eventually spinning on SS6. Happy to finish though, I think it's enough for a podium.
70s - Took the Stratos, had a good time and only had 2 incidents: one spin on the second corner of the first stage (of course) and one rollover in the rain that required a reset. Otherwise, I had fun.

80s - Took the Renault. I knew it handled weird from the few stages I had done with it, but I just could not get a handle on it in this event, especially Greece and Wales. This car just makes no sense to me, I can't tell when it's going to rotate, when it will oversteer, when it will understeer - sometimes it corners beautifully, sometimes it feels like a train that's fallen off the rail. It felt much better in Finland with the faster, longer corners, I enjoyed it there but it was still weird. 

Experienced much the same as @BadD0g. I had no less than three resets in SS1 in Greece, each one while understeering off the road in hairpins, sometimes at ridiculously low speed. One more reset in SS2, two more in Wales. Finland was much more enjoyable, as I had only one spin with significant time loss there.

I really like this car, but I have to find a way to master those tight corners.

• Social Media & Community Team
I quite enjoyed this week's event at Germany. I'm about to use the Mitsubishi in Career (Elite) so this was good practice. 

Mostly clean runs too, I think I only lost 10 seconds in total through errors.

Regarding the R4 weekly: Is there a significant performance gap between the Subaru and the Mitsubishi? The leaderboard is dominated by Lancers. (Not to the extent the Alpine rules the 60s class, but still.)
Has it always been like that, and I just haven't noticed? My recollection of previous events is that there has been a decent mix of the two at the top of the rankings?
foppaldo said:
Regarding the R4 weekly: Is there a significant performance gap between the Subaru and the Mitsubishi? The leaderboard is dominated by Lancers. (Not to the extent the Alpine rules the 60s class, but still.)
Has it always been like that, and I just haven't noticed? My recollection of previous events is that there has been a decent mix of the two at the top of the rankings?
Evo 10 is better on Tarmac I believe, but the Subaru is better on gravel.

Archived