Jump to content Jump to content

The Dirt weekly thread

Porkhammer

foppaldo said:
Regarding the R4 weekly: Is there a significant performance gap between the Subaru and the Mitsubishi? The leaderboard is dominated by Lancers. (Not to the extent the Alpine rules the 60s class, but still.)
Has it always been like that, and I just haven't noticed? My recollection of previous events is that there has been a decent mix of the two at the top of the rankings?
The Evo has a bit bit better power to weight ratio and the Subaru's default setup used to bottom out on jums, so it was more unstable on landings (I'm not sure if they've changed anything or not), but that's probably why more people pick the Evo. Also, there are 4 Subarus in the game but only one Mitsubishi
I'm really enjoying these weekly/daily events, treating them as a comparison between myself and the community to see how I'm progressing. Getting more and more comfortable now as I'm top of the R4 weekly on xbox by 24 secs, just from mistakes I could have shaved off 25-30 seconds, after that I'd be scrapping for a few tenths here and there but I'd need to find another 20+ seconds to be as quick as the top PC players, you PC guys are properly quick.

About the Subaru/Evo comparison, I do think the Subaru is a little easier to drive, a little more forgiving. Evo feels like it might just edge it on speed but doesn't feel as chuckable.
The Subaru feels a bit nimbler than the Evo as well, maybe I'm just imagining things?
I prefer it over the fat Evo                                                                          

APR193 said:
I'm really enjoying these weekly/daily events, treating them as a comparison between myself and the community to see how I'm progressing. Getting more and more comfortable now as I'm top of the R4 weekly on xbox by 24 secs, just from mistakes I could have shaved off 25-30 seconds, after that I'd be scrapping for a few tenths here and there but I'd need to find another 20+ seconds to be as quick as the top PC players, you PC guys are properly quick.

About the Subaru/Evo comparison, I do think the Subaru is a little easier to drive, a little more forgiving. Evo feels like it might just edge it on speed but doesn't feel as chuckable.
Challenge accepted...  :)
KevM said:

APR193 said:

Challenge accepted...  :)
Haha I wasn't expecting to stay top judging by how much time I could have found just from not making the mistakes I did, when I looked at PC times I definitely knew there was more time in it than I could find even without mistakes. Nice to be top even if it doesn't last though, I could barely get around a corner without crashing when I first got the game.
F2 weekly done. Went a lot better than expected. Had a good pace throughout and mistakes were kept to a minimum. I strongly recommend people learn trailbraking if they haven't already; it's invaluable in these cars.

Leading it at this moment.
Tried the R4 weekly in Germany. Gave up after SS2. I have no idea how to go fast in these cars; doesn't matter whether I drive clean, or push like a mad man. No difference in speed whatsoever, which is pretty stupid. Hatred for R4 cars has increased to 120%.

:D

(1216 hours played and these cars make me feel like a complete noob, it's funny! :D Maybe I'm missing something obvious?)
Started the finland one and got my fiesta.
First stage, flew over a crest like a plane taking off and got a rear puncture. Only managed 1:50 behind top with 3 wheels, not bad but wasnt happy.
Second stage, same thing happened and then again. Two flats. I then proceeded to rage quit.

Haven't tried the other one yet!!
Finland: Driving with my headphones on I had gotten into a surprisingly good flow on the final night stage. Then out of nowhere I get a tap on the shoulder; "Daddy, are you driving in the forest?". I jumped out of my bloody skin!
Oldest kid was suddenly standing behind me, a lot more awake than he should have been.

Needless to say, the car went off-road. Hard.

("Thankfully" I had already managed to both roll (SS3) and puncture (SS5) it, so no top placing lost on the leaderboard.)

foppaldo said:
Finland: Driving with my headphones on I had gotten into a surprisingly good flow on the final night stage. Then out of nowhere I get a tap on the shoulder; "Daddy, are you driving in the forest?". I jumped out of my bloody skin!

Sounds familiar to me. Kids can be scary...
Took the Hyundai for the Finland Weekly. Felt like I was driving in slow motion at first, then I remembered I only had one upgrade.  :/
That, coupled with a puncture 3/4 of the way into  the first stage and various small mistakes throughout meant I am right at the top... of the bottom tier. Oh well. The Hyundai is fun, I think it's my favorite of the 2010s. Even more fun with the proper Paddon livery.  ;)
I've now completed my 2010's weekly. I went with the Polo since I don't use it very often. Made a setup that felt nice (hard antirollbars is a thing in Finland) and off I went. SS1 was a bit meh, 3 extremely close calls and about 2 seconds lost - but other than that I had a nice battle with Fisu all throughout; trading tenths here and there... until I clipped a bush on SS5 and went off the road. I didn't lose as much time as expected, but timeloss is timeloss... and I lost the lead. One stage to go... in the darkness, which is basically my nemesis, hiss. Drove as hard as I dared, and somehow won the stage by 12 seconds and grabbed the lead once more. Whether it will last or not I do not know, but I'm happy with my efforts in this weekly, despite the mistakes.
A lot of people really struggle in the dark, even i tend to make time up when it gets to a night stage.
I normally never make up any time in the darkness; I just can't see properly. My track knowledge doesn't help one bit. Screw night stages! :D

Anyway, with 6 hours left of the weekly events, I decided to tackle the Group B one - with my cautiously quick approach. Staying clear of risks, cuts and whatnot; keeping good lines while going as quickly as I can. It went pretty well in Wales, but Finland didn't like this approach one bit. Not only was it very slow, but it damaged the car lots and lots despite my heavy braking for the jumps. My radiator almost died. Still, by the time I reached Sweden, with some prioritized repairs - I could repair it fully. Focused on a clean SS5, and after finishing that my lead was so comfortable that I could just cruise through the final stage. I may also have been cruising out of fear of triggering anticheat and be quarantined on the very last stage, but yeah!
Finished the Group B weekly with just 2 and a half minutes left :D Had a few accidents in Wales, surprisingly clean runs in Finland, a pretty bad first run in Sweden (5 spins and one time got stuck on the snow banks, so had to reset the car), and a very clean second run. Was driving the Delta S4
Group A Wales weekly done. Was keeping a good stay-out-of-trouble pace while going quickly, until SS5 where I started relaxing and had a spin. Thought it costed me my lead, but I still had 3 secs to spare, and managed to keep it until finish.

Let's see if it will last.
Finished the 70s weekly. Mostly nice, clean runs. I usually do pretty well in Germany with 70s cars. Took the Kadett for this one, I think it's the fastest of the 70s cars and it also sounds kinda awesome. Had a little crash in the final stage, just as you enter the last forrest part, there's a left 5, followed by right 3, where he says break on gate, after that right 3 it goes into the forest. Was driving a bit too fast there and smashed into the stones on the outside of the corner. Luckily no punctures or smashed headlights, just had to back up a bit and continue. All in all that was a good weekly

Archived