Jump to content Jump to content

The Dirt weekly thread

Porkhammer

Well, I finished the weekly... but the last two stages in Sweden went bad. Very bad. Extremely slow times. I just can't cope with front brake bias in Sweden. Near impossible to drive.

80's weekly no. 2, Monaco -- picked the M3 again. Car setups enabled, which is a good thing. Decent pace throughout the stages, some small mistakes here and there, and way too careful driving on SS6... in the lead for the time being, though I suspect certain individuals won't have any problems taking it.
Group B RWD weekly, Sweden... good pace. I aimed not to push the 037 to the limit, but just focus on clean driving; avoiding snowbanks and whatnot. It wasn't very quick, but I still took the lead from the very beginning. Sadly I spun and stalled the car on the very last stage and lost 10-15 seconds. Won't be winning this weekly now seeing as there are some people who insists on hotlapping coming stages between service areas.

Still, I recorded the event, because why not! Uploading it to Youtube now.
Group B weekly, Germany - done. I recorded this little adventure as well. Picked the 205, tricky to drive no matter how I tweaked my setup; the steering was waaaaay too sensitive. Not as bad as in Finland, but close. Still, I went for it... pushed as hard as I dared. A handful of close moments. Sometimes braking too early, sometimes braking too late - but all in all I'm happy with the driving.
For the German weekly took the Lancia S4 and used manual sequential. At least for rally I think I'm switching to manual for good, the driving feels more engaging although there are moments when too much is happening at once :)
Anyway, the first stage was pretty good, had some little mistakes, but still managed under 6 minutes. Had a f**k-up in the second stage (took out some spectators or went out of bounds, don't remember exactly, but it was something that gives a penalty), the following stages were all good after that one
Did the first F2 weekly, in Finland with the Ibiza. As always when I pick a car I really like, I go in way too hard and quickly screw up. Crashed into some logs and punctured in the second sector of the first (long) stage. Two minutes behind. (In hindsight it would have saved time if I'd repaired the puncture.)

Dedicated the last four stages to experiment with the damper setup. Still went fairly well and lost less than a minute in total over five stages. Currently top 30, but will maybe be inside the top 100 come the weekend.
Weekly, F2 kitcars in Finland ... done and dusted. I picked the Ibiza because there didn't seem to be very many of them on the leaderboard. I was very happy with my SS1 time, so happy that I had trouble keeping focus on SS2, and immediately lost all the time I had gained. I kept going at the same pace though for the remainder of the stages, and on SS6 I pushed as hard as I dared and won the stage by a large margin... my heart is still pounding from that rush. I reckon both gheed and Fisu made mistakes for me to win by that much however.

Very happy with my driving, any mistakes I made were small and the Ibiza performed a lot better than I expected.

F2 weekly no. 2, mixed (Greece, Germany, Sweden) went so-so. Started off very well in Greece, Germany was a bit on the slow side... and I backed off quite a lot in Sweden to bring it home safely without incidents. Happy to report that there's not been a single spin or bump into random objects; only a handful of misshifts.
80's weekly done, I'm quite pleased with the result. Took the Renault 5 Turbo. Its low speed understeer is very annoying, especially in Greece's hairpins, but other than that it's not so bad. Only had one spin-out in Sweden and a little crash in Germany, but nothing serious. It is a strange car to drive, but once you get in the groove, it's pretty enjoyable.
Picked the Renault for the 80's weekly which maybe hindered me a little in Greece with the understeer braking but i had a good feeling in the 2nd run.
Lost 15 sec to the top time on each Germany run as usual. Can't seem to get real quick on tarmac yet.
A couple nice runs in Sweden brought me back up a bit in the leaderboard to end it though.
Fun times. 
 :)
80's weekly, mixed (Greece, Germany, Sweden) - done. Picked the BMW M3. Slow... on every single stage. Sweden was the absolute worst. Going from gravel, tarmac, and snow took a long, long time to adjust to. Extremely unhappy with my driving. Shouldn't have done the weekly before proper sleep.

Should be easy to beat.

2010's weekly, Sweden - done. Picked the Fiesta. Nearly ragequit at the very first stage in the very first corner because the car decided to understeer into the snowbank. A couple of more snowbank cuddles later and I still managed to win the stage, so I continued - albeit a little bit slower. There were some more snowbank boops along the way, but all in all I think this was a nice run through. Leading thus far.
I have now done the 60's weekly in Finland... I picked the Mini. Worst possible choice for Finland, I know - but I cannot drive the Renault anymore. They've done something to it, don't know what... but it's hypersensitive. Feels like it has 20 degrees of rotation; correcting oversteer spins the car around. So yeah, no - Mini it is. I was just driving slowly, even made some mistakes on 3 of the stages because I was just aiming for a top 50... and I'm currently 6th overall?

Ok then. Definitely regret not driving it harder.

People choosing the Mini/Fulvia: Don't skip past the results after every stage assuming the worst... you might be surprised.
Not super familiar with the Alpine yet really, but i do know that i'm quicker in Rwd than Fwd so i went for it. Took a few shakedowns to try and control the front end bouncys a bit with some tuning and got a pretty good feel. Stayed close to the top time on the first 3 stages, losing about one or two seconds per stage to Rhexcon. He's usually really quick in Finland so i felt i must be at a good pace. For unknown reasons though i lost over 20 seconds from him in stage 4. I  may have been a little cautious but man he must have been flying to get his time on that stage. I won the last 2 stages by a half second each but still finished 30 behind him. Still 2nd in the ranks so far.

I chose the Manta which i'm very familiar with for the other Finland weekly and had a great feeling ride.
A couple close calls but nothing bad.
Fun times.
:)
2nd last stage on kakaristo junction was cutting the line pretty deep in a ditch, bad luck and the front just launched into air, causing me go straight into spectators. lost 20-25 seconds on that stage, but otherwise pretty ok weekly. Love love love the 037 in Finland.
Group B RWD weekly, Finland - done. I did a testrun prior with the 037, and as always its steering was way too sensitive. Couldn't keep any good lines with it, so I opted for the Manta. That mean no chance of winning, but was hoping for a podium. Went well until the very last stage where I had a high speed spin, very happy to recover from that, and it meant that 2nd place after gheed was mine... unless there's some late charges from other people, of course.
Group B RWD - took the Manta because the 037 drives like a boat. Manta at least goes straight when you need it to. Went well, no major mistakes

1960s - started the weekly a few minutes too late. Took the Mini, default setup, kept the poor thing pinned to the redline in top gear. There's something strangely relaxing about hearing that tortured engine :D Anyway, would've been a pretty decent result, if I had finished the last race like 3 minutes earlier.

2010s Germany - took the Fiesta. That car is horrible in rain. You don't have confidence that it won't stall under braking. Stalled it like 3 or 4 times and a few more times almost stalled it. It was a bit better when it was dry, but still not fun.As a result, you drive drive slower and brake less as you could
  • 2 weeks later...
Group A - Took the Impreza, had a few mistakes, a couple of resets, an average weekly all in all
R4 - Took the Evo. First two stages went well. Had a crash at the end of the third one (flew off track into trees, couldn't get out and punctured a tire in the process), had to reset. At least that happened near the finish, so the punctured tire didn't really change anything. And the tire blew off the rim just as I was crossing the finish line :D Also wen't wide in one place on the next stage, slid off track but was able to get back, basically a little stop-go monent. The last two stages went ok. In the end did a lot better than in the Group A weekly :D
Guess I'll continue my monologue...

1970s weekly done. Didn't do very well, but it was Sweden, so I wasn't expecting anything good. Took the Stratos. I still don't get what people find so hard about driving it? It's one of my favorite cars in the game and it made Sweden somewhat enjoyable (slow, but fun)
70's weekly, Sweden, done. Lovely choice of venue, and class... but my driving was god awful. SS1 and SS2 went swimmingly, but on SS3 I went off the road and had to climb back up... lost a good 15 seconds there. After that, my driving went worse and worse. Utterly disappointed. Chances of me winning this one when everyone's gone through are slim.

F*ck.
I tried my hands on the 2010 mixed (Monaco, Wales, Finland) weekly. First stage was ok, some annoying mistakes here and there. Second stage was awful. I lost a good 8 seconds I think, but still managed to win it for some reason. Then I arrived in Wales... had to adjust to a completely different surface. Something I just can't do in a single stage in a 2010 vehicle, lost 14 seconds and decided to retire. I just can't adjust to all that grip.

F*ck 2010's tbh.
Snowing weather in monte is horrible, I had no consistency and its even more slidey than normal monte. Many mistakes, but i was only 15 sec behind the lead after the tarmac stages were done. Wales and Finland much more fun, and no major mistakes. Lets see how my result will hold up...
  • 2 weeks later...
Group A weekly, Monaco - done. Picked the Integrale. Pretty good driving with the odd mistake here and there; the biggest one being an engine stall at SS4 (takes about 9 years to restart the engine - Dirt Rally logic), so definitely lost time there. Leading though, so I guess I should be happy about that.
Hadn't done a Weekly in a while. Started with the Sweden weekly, took the Mini (don't know why), so far I've done two stages and I'm not sure if I'll do the rest. Then went on to do the Greece weekly with the 037. That one went surprisingly well. Smooth runs, with just a few spins, and no crashes. Ended up 31st out of 548, after the poor dailies I had, I'm pleased with this.
2010's weekly, Sweden - done. Picked the Polo this time around. The setup I have for it in Sweden is amazing. Every single stage just clicked. I was driving at 90%, which is basically fast, but not world-record fast - and still managed a handful of new PB's. Leading at the moment.
Group B RWD weekly, Greece - done. Picked the 037. I know there was no chance for me to win as I do not dare taking too big risks with the 037, but I thought I could make it on the podium if I just kept the car on the road - and I did.

Yay.

Archived