Jump to content Jump to content

The Dirt weekly thread

Porkhammer

2000's monte carlo, went for the C4 since I weirdly enough like that bloody car. Felt controlled most of the time, except some downhill sections. Rather surprised that I actually managed to keep somewhat in contact with the top and currently in 9th. Guess I'll land down at about 20th in the end, but very good result for me in Monte. I usually drop about 20-30 seconds on a long stage against the likes of fiston38.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did the Finnish 60's this evening.  

Started without a set up for the Alpine, so knocked one up in 3 shakedowns (should have tested it a bit more thoroughly). 

Hit go on the first stage & ploughed into a tree with a problem with snap oversteer & bad brake bias.  Couldn't change it for the 2nd stage so did the same tree thing but smashed my lights in the process...

Back to service before the third, tweaked the chassis & braking again & found a nice rhythm but was 45-50 secs down by that point.  

Nothing to report for for the rest of the rally apart from plenty of bouncing around.

The guy who is leading after the first 2 stages will destroy my times when he continues 
:)
I did this in the Mini as a warm-up for part three of the monthly. It went surprisingly well. :)
 Just a couple of "moments", but no actual crashing. Currently fastest of the non-Alpines and 9th overall. (That will obviously change during the next six days, but maybe it's good enough for a Top50?)
2000's weekly in Germany, done. Picked the C4 because as bad as it is on gravel, it is the exact opposite on tarmac. Absolutely amazing to drive. Mixed conditions proved no challenge. Rain, damp, dry, night. Nothing could stop it. My only incidents were on SS6 where I braked a little too late in a few spots and overshot slightly. Leading thus far, with 4 hours remaining.
Yeay!
Two really fun weekly events for me this week.
Renault 5 on all gravel mix and the GroupB Lancia S4 in Sweden.
Had a nice feel in the Renault other than stage1 in Greece where the hair pins got a tad messy.
Really good feel in the S4, Loving Sweden lately.
Leading both weeklys so far, will it last?
:)
Group B weekly, Sweden - done. Picked the Quattro. I also chose to do this with manual sequential shifting so that I could use my left foot for pumping the brake over those jumps that causes the Audi to act sketchy.

Only SS4 went well. The rest of the stages were absolutely mistake riddled - I hit no less than six snowbanks on the very final stage - being a full 10 seconds slower than my PB, yet somehow I kept my lead. Oh well. At least I didn't have any spins.

I am currently leading this event with 5 hours to go.

80's weekly, mixed locations - done. Picked the M3, even though I knew I wouldn't stand a chance against the Renault with it on SS2, 3, and 4. The timeloss on these stages were minimal with tiny mistakes and a lucky moment. It was only on SS5 and 6 my real problems started, in Sweden. On Norraskoga I stalled the car in the junction. Had to restart the engine. Still an ok time. On SS6 I again stalled the engine... again in a junction. Hm. Well, again, timeloss was not that bad. Kept my lead.

Leading both weekly events with 2 hours and 20 minutes remaining. Happy with that for sure.
Group A event in Greece - luckily they decided to pick on the stages I struggle with and make it night time aswell. Went ok, sitting in 70th or so into last stage. Had an absolute dream run until one of the last corners where I slid off and got tangled up in rocks and trees. Goodbye to 30 seconds and hello middle of the pack  :'(
Group A weekly, Greece - done. Picked the Integrale. Joona had a very good pace, but I decided to resist the temptation of pushing as hard as he did on the first two stages and risk a silly mistake for a handful of seconds, instead focusing my pushing on the two long ones. It paid off - I think I took a full 4 seconds off him on SS4. By that point I had a 2.9 second lead. I felt confident enough to keep this pace up for the remaining two stages and ended up with a 4.5 second lead, with an hour to go. I'm happy with that for sure - especially considering I did all the stages with a belly ache.

2000's weekly, Greece ... could be better. At least there weren't any crashes. Most people took a good chunk of time from me on SS6.
  • 2 weeks later...
1960s weekly, Sweden (my first weekly after a 2 month pause), picked the Alpine. Was going pretty well, stages 1-3 didn't make much mistakes, was just being cautios. In stage 4 lost a bit of attention and had a few spins and rolls, was a little over a minute behind on that stage. The fact that the ground, sky and everything in front was the sam color didn't help much. Stage 5 brought the much needed contrast with it's clear skies so now I could better see where I was going :) The time was also better with just 14 seconds behind (although it was a short stage). Stage 6 also went well. It's kinda funny, how in Sweden you can actually see better at night :D 
Weekly 1: R4's - Sweden: nope.
Weekly 2: 60's - Sweden: Picked the Alpine. Lost 10 seconds on SS6 due to 2 spins, but other than that a pretty nice run through. Leading with 2 hours to go. Not a bad performance on an empty belly. I should eat breakfast.
  • 2 weeks later...
R4 in Monte-Carlo: Happy overall, especially with the second half of the stages. Big mistakes were made on SS2 & SS3, even spinning on SS2. The rest went without huge errors, so I'm quite pleased to be through this slippery weeky.

Kit in Germany: retired on SS3 after crashing into spectators. Had a nice event until there though.
Weekly 1: R4 - skipping these abominations - as always.

Weekly 2: F2 kitcars, Germany - Knowing that I'd stand zero chance against monsieur Backalley, I aimed to grab the second place from the hacker Niskymen (also known as Ezequiel Morel (ARG)) - not that it took much. I didn't even have to take any risks. I focused on good lines, though was caught offguard at times with some understeer moments. Still, no risky cuts, even slowing down for some corners that I know I can take flatout. Second overall, only 7 seconds off the crazy frenchman.

I'll take that.
Weekly 1, Group A, Germany - done. Picked the Integrale. Pushing very hard in some corners, as I knew I had a good chance of beating Backalley. Some minor mishaps came with these risks, but all of them paid off. Currently leading by six full seconds, with 2 hours and 16 minutes remaining.

I also recorded this little adventure.
Tried my hands on the 80's weekly in Germany, picking the M3. SS1 went alright, just some minor mistakes. SS2, however had more mistakes - due to the sun shining on my monitor. Rather than getting up to pull the blinds and lose my perfect sitting position, I tried to keep going. I almost couldn't see anything. SS3 was horrendously slow as a result, and I just alt-f4'd it after that.

Stupid sun. go home
Was feeling a bit down after a failed daily so decided to the 70's weekly to cheer me up.
Took the Kadett to change things up a bit, because lately I've been only using the Stratos. First thing I noticed is that the rev limiter is at the same rpm where the redline starts, so that took a bit of getting used to, had quite a few late shifts in the first stage because of that. And maybe because of that, the car just felt slow. Apart from a few small mistakes, mostly braking a bit too late, it was a pretty clean run. I guess 47th out of over 1000 is not that slow either, but in terms of cheering me up this didn't really help... oh well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
70's weekly, Germany - done. Picked the Stratos.

Well, seeing as I keep failing at daily events, I thought that perhaps I could do something decent in one of the weeklies. Nope. Gotta fail there too. Mistakes on five out of the six stages.

Hmm not going to bother with the second weekly. Enough rubbish for one week, eh? ;)
  • 1 month later...
Decided to resurrect this thread simply because i just had possibly my best weekly run ever on the awd group b Greece event. My run on Tsiristra Théa was an absolute flyer despite a barrel roll where I got extremely lucky to land on the wheels quickly going the right direction. I'll probably be knocked out of the top 10 by the end of the week but I was pretty happy with it anyway.
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread hasn't been touched in a while again.

So I did the 2000s weekly, took the C4. Sometimes I struggle with the hairpins in Greece, but this time I got most of them right. Pretty much no accidents apart from one little tap on a tree when the rear stepped out a bit too much in stage 3 or 4. Currently 72nd out of 1155

Also started the B RWD weekly, took the 037, 2 stages in, so far so good. Someone had a mighty fast first stage - 2 minutes :D (@Hatward you might wanna check that out)

Archived