Sign in to follow this  

Games for language learning - Research

Hi all,

I am currently undertaking an MSc in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) at the University of Edinburgh, and as part of that I am undertaking some research into online multiplayer games and English language learning. The main focus of my research is on the perceptions (thoughts) of the gamers themselves and how they feel playing online multiplayer games may have impacted their English language skills. 

I am hoping that a few of you will be willing to help me out by completing a short online survey on the subject. The survey itself shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and I am looking for participants who are not native English speakers but regularly play online within a mostly/partially English speaking environment. 

If this sounds like a piece of research you would be interested in taking part in, then please follow the link to complete the survey.

If you have any questions feel free to post here or message me.

Much appreciated. 

Stozy

ps, mods I hope this is not an issue, and is posted in the correct place!

So if we speak English natively we aren't allowed to fill it in? :p 

My best friend goes to Edinburgh Uni too (International Business) and had to do a survey as well, so good on you for posting it up on gaming forums to try and get it filled in. He ended up just sending the link to me and telling me to get everybody I know to fill it in lol.

Haha, not officially no. Would probably find some of the later questions tricky to answer coming from a native speaking position :smile: 

Yeah...it's survey spam time of year, the number I have had on facebook/email is a bit crazy ...but I feel like I should help others if I want people to help me. Just hoping gamers will want to help a fellow gamer doing some game-related research ! ... 

Thanks for your interest :) 

Stozy said:
Haha, not officially no. Would probably find some of the later questions tricky to answer coming from a native speaking position :smile: 

Yeah...it's survey spam time of year, the number I have had on facebook/email is a bit crazy ...but I feel like I should help others if I want people to help me. Just hoping gamers will want to help a fellow gamer doing some game-related research ! ... 

Thanks for your interest :) 
Ahh, ok, I won't fill it in then :p There's definitely a bunch of guys here who could though. Especially @onetwothree, the noises that come out of Australian's mouths are clearly not English ;)

You gotta do it though dude! How many do you have to hit for yours? My friend had to get 100 and even getting that many people to do it was a close call to the deadline.

Oh, harsh haha !

I have set the maximum responses to 150, after which is cuts off. Hoping to get 50 or so.... in some ways the more the better up to 150, but at the same time I need to analyse what i get...so not so good  :tongue: 

It's closed, so I guess you got your 150 recipients already? I would have wanted to answer some surveys *insert pouty face here* naww just kidding! I briefly studied game design and development in uni and managed to create a flash game for school assessment. I don't know how you were able to connect game design and TESOL, but sounds like an exciting theses.