Jump to content Jump to content

Do Girls Play DiRT Rally?

Rygar86

I have only noticed so far that it's guys that are playing and talking on the forums (unless I've missed someone) and I was wondering how many girls/women like and play this game? Would be nice to know if  there are some out there...

Yeah, this is why I'd like to see female options for driver/co-driver implemented in the game, to make it more welcoming to a wider audience who might be put off by what looks like a guys-only domain.

I remember on an old episode of the podcast Three Moves Ahead, big F1 fan Jenn Cutter was very critical of Codemasters and the removal of options for female drivers in F1 2011, like names and pronouns (IIRC), when that had all been in F1 2010. I'd love to Dirt Rally be a lot more progressive than that in 2015.

As for posting on the forums, that's a larger problem with video game culture in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if any women wouldn't be comfortable posting here. I posted a poll for female drivers/co-drivers, and got comments about how they should be sexy or make "saucy comments to put you off" (your own teammate? :s ); there's another poll with the negative option of "Handbrakes are for girls." I'd also love the Dirt Rally community to be more welcoming than that.

enamel said:
I have noticed there are not many women playing driving sims. In our group there have been two that have driven with us in the 5 years I have been there.
Wow, only 2 in 5 years, that is pretty dismal. I would have thought a bit more than that.
Half of the AI drivers and half of the engineers are female. 

True Story.
I'd like to believe that. It would be great if that was more obvious in-game.
If i recall correctly there was a guy who went digging in the dirt rally files and found the beginnings of a female driver and codriver model. 
Yup, @SamRWD found a number of female and non-white driver and co-drivers faces in the characters/textures folder. Here's hoping...
dwkGravey said:
Yeah, this is why I'd like to see female options for driver/co-driver implemented in the game, to make it more welcoming to a wider audience who might be put off by what looks like a guys-only domain.
I think a female co-driver option and a few female driver names would be good to see in Dirt Rally because some do exist in the rally world, even if it's not many.

dwkGravey said:
I remember on an old episode of the podcast Three Moves Ahead, big F1 fan Jenn Cutter was very critical of Codemasters and the removal of options for female drivers in F1 2011, like names and pronouns (IIRC), when that had all been in F1 2010. I'd love to Dirt Rally be a lot more progressive than that in 2015.
I think maybe some girls would find it more appealing to play if this were the case with more driving games, but it's probably only a minor factor for most. But I agree it would be better.
dwkGravey said:

As for posting on the forums, that's a larger problem with video game culture in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if any women wouldn't be comfortable posting here. I posted a poll for female drivers/co-drivers, and got comments about how they should be sexy or make "saucy comments to put you off" (your own teammate? :s ); there's another poll with the negative option of "Handbrakes are for girls." I'd also love the Dirt Rally community to be more welcoming than that.

Yeah I know what you mean, immature comments like this can be a bit off putting for females and also for males. But on the whole I don't think that these forums (and many others) are all that uninviting for females, most people are cool and many are genuinely helpful. I have noticed some proper dicks lurking around the Steam forums but that is not a gender thing, they are hostile to everyone. I just try to ignore their posts completely and it actually works.
RookieOne said:
it's also a general problem of taste.

Not many women like to play driving games, the genre just don't appeal to them...
I think this is true unfortunately but I would have thought that more would be around even if most don't see the appeal. They don't know what they are missing!
Rygar86 said:
enamel said:
I have noticed there are not many women playing driving sims. In our group there have been two that have driven with us in the 5 years I have been there.
Wow, only 2 in 5 years, that is pretty dismal. I would have thought a bit more than that.
To be fair, our group is not huge (but not small either) and focused on endurance racing, so somewhat niche. But I have not seen many in the greater community either.
Rygar86 said:
I have noticed some proper dicks lurking around the Steam forums but that is not a gender thing, they are hostile to everyone. I just try to ignore their posts completely and it actually works.
Yeah, I registered here and on Reddit to follow and comment on Dirt Rally, and these two places haven't been too bad. The Steam forums, though... *runs away screaming*
dwkGravey said:
Rygar86 said:
I have noticed some proper dicks lurking around the Steam forums but that is not a gender thing, they are hostile to everyone. I just try to ignore their posts completely and it actually works.
Yeah, I registered here and on Reddit to follow and comment on Dirt Rally, and these two places haven't been too bad. The Steam forums, though... *runs away screaming*
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! Have to say though most on there are human beings, it's just that a few prolific posters have very severe "hero complexes" and it kind of spoils it sometimes when the Gladiatorial battle of egos hijacks some threads. But as I said if you stear clear and just communicate with the humans, it's still okay.

I should register over on Reddit too. Forgot about that, good to check them all out from time to time.
dwkGravey said:
Rygar86 said:
The Steam forums have always been a hive of scum and villainy, I avoid them like Ebola.

I am thankful for these forums, the discussions is downright civil, even when people disagree. Unless you accuse @Porkhammer of cheating, then its on! LMAO
These are definitely not the forums they're looking for. ;)
Hi @Porkhammer I was watching one of your youtube videos today, I think it was Sweetlamb, very nice driving.
I was wondering what wheel rotation degrees you use and also if you are driving with manual gears? Oh and are you using FFB or leaving it off?

I leave it off and am waiting for the reported update to arrive.

Archived