Jump to content Jump to content

Do Girls Play DiRT Rally?

Rygar86

Thanks @Rygar86 :)

I use 270 degrees of rotation and manual H-pattern, and my FFB is on. You can see my wheel settings on these links:

http://i.imgur.com/6CxEMnN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uVtM2yD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ExxUhLE.jpg

You're welcome :smile: 

cheers for these @Porkhammer, I might turn FFB on and try some of your settings.

I have been using 270 degrees too, finding it was best for responsiveness. But yesterday I put it up a little (316 degrees) just to add a little finer control, seems to be okay for now, definitely don't understand how people are running massive degrees between 500 and 900!

Interesting to see you are using the H pattern (are you using clutch too?) seems to me like clutch would make it unnecessarily harder, unless it somehow gives more control? Or do people just do it for the immersion?

I've definitely had the feeling that I need to switch from auto to manual gears in order to get the most out of the car and my driving, but when I do I think I will start with the paddle shifters (also have a G27).

I've also seen others say that manual gears allows for more controlled engine braking.

Half of the AI drivers and half of the engineers are female. 

True Story.
Which is totally stupid, bordering on surreal. How many girls do you see in a rally event, as pilots, or even more rare as engineers?, 1?; 2 maybe?; simply none 99% of the times?

hola said:

True Story.
Which is totally stupid, bordering on surreal. How many girls do you see in a rally event, as pilots, or even more rare as engineers?, 1?; 2 maybe?; simply none 99% of the times?

Maybe they should have just put one in, and had an achievement for finding them?
hola said:

True Story.

Let's keep it civil, please. 
hola said:

True Story.

Umm, I pretty sure he was joking ;)

50% would be unrealistic,  but a few would be good and a female co-driver would also be cool and would not be stretching any boundaries of realism.
hola said:

True Story.

This is my favourite forum post of all time. Thank you sir.
Rygar86 said:

Interesting to see you are using the H pattern (are you using clutch too?) seems to me like clutch would make it unnecessarily harder, unless it somehow gives more control? Or do people just do it for the immersion?

I've definitely had the feeling that I need to switch from auto to manual gears in order to get the most out of the car and my driving, but when I do I think I will start with the paddle shifters (also have a G27).
No, not using clutch - there's something off with it in-game at the moment that I can't specify. Otherwise I'd use it for immersion. You definitely need to switch to manual gears, it's a lot faster and gives a lot more control.
Spokster said:
Cars have mostly been a man thing anyway, especially when it comes to the driving part and when it comes to driving a sim racing game, I think women just prefer different genre games.
Cars are mostly a man thing because men make it that way. Lots of women are interested in cars and racing, and racing games, but the culture surrounding them is at best generally not supportive of, and at worst hostile to, women. Ironically, one of the things that makes motorsports so awesome is that they're an equal playing field for men and women, unlike basically all other sports.

Even if cars were somehow "mostly" a man thing, that still means some women are interested. And especially in the realm of video games, where anything is possible, why not make them feel acknowledged and welcome in this genre too? The more people we could get interested in rallying through Dirt Rally, the better! I want my three-year-old daughter to grow up believing that cars and racing are for everyone. That starts with women like Danica Patrick, Simona de Silvestro, Ramona Karlsson, and Keiko Ihara, and it can also start with a video game recognizing that a girl wants to be able to see herself in it too.
What, no one mentioning Michèle Mouton?
Rally icon and close runner up to the 1982 World Rally Championship driving #ThatCar, going on to set a new Pikes Peak record in 1985 despite monumental, overt sexism from her competitors such as Ari "Never can nor will I lose to a woman" Vatanen and Walter "This is not because I doubt her capabilities as a driver, but because she is a woman." Röhrl?

Who responded to her critics after winning Pikes Peak 85 with "If you have the balls you can try to race me back down as well."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V-u1tw8UxQ
BrySkye said:
What, no one mentioning Michèle Mouton?
Well for my post I was just thinking of drivers my daughter might be able to see on TV over the next few years. But she can also enjoy Mouton criticizing the things that come out of Bernie Ecclestone's mouth, since he's obviously not going anywhere soon!
No, not using clutch - there's something off with it in-game at the moment that I can't specify. Otherwise I'd use it for immersion. You definitely need to switch to manual gears, it's a lot faster and gives a lot more control.
I see, did not know it was dodgy I guess it is on the list of control updates they are working on. I see, more for emersion than control.

Thanks @Porkhammer, I will definitely switch to manual soon and hopefully I can handle it. I expect I might be a bit slower at first but hopefully faster in the long run.

Would you say that engine braking is a feature of your driving style?
I think I agree with everything you said @dwkGravey, especially the part about the only level playing field for men and women. Ive always thought this and often wondered why we dont see more women competeing with men. 

But I thought it was cool when not long ago i saw a woman who was racing nascar and winning. Michelle Mouton was awesome and Its a shame that no other women have competed in the WRC.
It would be cool to see a women in F1 one day too.

The only thing I dont like is when the women themselves or the media is playing up the "girl power" angle. Just let the performance speak for itself. Happens with a lot of stuff these days (not just sport) and its so anoying!
I've been around, playing online since Grid 1 launched (plus for 10-15 years before that in SP against the PC/consoles of the time).

In those years online, I've been lucky to meet some incredibly talented female players, including SnowWhite (Who sadly I haven't seen about for a while) and -Ultra-Barbie who were both great assists on drifters. I met both while I was on a mission to get more people into drifting.

A small group of us had many, MANY Grid 1 tandem drifting sessions (Myself, Zappac, Avail and others), We figured the more people got really good at drifting, the more fun we'd have, so we would join a drift session with moderate-good drifters in it, we would scream around the tracks, getting ludicrous scores, pulling 360's mid combo, shadowing people in formation.

Many times we were accused of cheating to which the reply would be "Sit out a round and spectate on one of us, See, what we do and how we do it, once you see WHAT'S possible we can help you learn to do the same, you only need to ask for help :)"

Then off we would go showing them what WAS possible, then invite them to training sessions where we would try and assist people to find ways to improve their drifting skills, things like:
How to increase scores by maintaining the combo for the whole race,
Gudance on the differences when moving from "Assist on" to full bore Assists off drifting,
Sliding between lamposts and fences because there was a narrow gap that you MIGHT just get through sideways in a cloud of tyresmoke..

Ahhh those were Halcyon days....... 5-6 cars on track within feet of each other sliding in formation,,,, Not seen the like of it since.... Sadly. 

Might have to fire that old horse up again for a giggle as, nothing since has put such a smile on my face as tandem drifting with some other lunatics did.... 

Barbie now has over 1700 hours in Grid 1 and STILL going scares the bejesus outta me on occaision :dizzy: 
See for yourselves..... This is a vid made by Barbie recently

https://youtu.be/eipd72jWrOs

Here's a couple of her Steam Grid 1 screenshots
1st one she's discussing teaching the other players :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/559844831519975805/BCC29258F914C4F82E4C60C7F92F4999FAEE780B/

ED7E8957C60C8AEF79A7827849AB2E257BCB1979 1366768

Better yet unlike, myself and most of us other armchair racers she went on to take her skills to the track for real in her drift car....

https://youtu.be/hajG31VC8g0

Been on at her about Dirt Rally and she tells me it's on her "to buy list" so watch this space.........

As for the issue on women in gaming??? it should not even an "ISSUE!" IMHO. Time to end all this "Gender", "Race", "Creed", "Belief" related inequality and divisiveness rubbish. We're all Human ain't we?

We SHOULD have these (and more) options, if it's possible to add such features, it should be done....
Rygar86 said:

I don't know, haha... I just brake until I get the speed I want through the corners. :)
I see, you just use the brake pedal, I thought that you maybe gear down to help slow the car down, have heard others saying they do this, thanks for letting me know.

I would love to see one of your stages from the chase view one day, I know it's a pain with the current Replay limitations and you would have to record Live, but I would love to see it :)
Rygar86 said:
Rygar86 said:

I don't know, haha... I just brake until I get the speed I want through the corners. :)
I see, you just use the brake pedal, I thought that you maybe gear down to help slow the car down, have heard others saying they do this, thanks for letting me know.

I would love to see one of your stages from the chase view one day, I know it's a pain with the current Replay limitations and you would have to record Live, but I would love to see it :)
?
You'd only have to record that live, as in during gameplay, if you wanted to hear the pace notes and see aspects of the HUD.
Otherwise, you can select any of the in-game view options during a replay, including the two chase views.
Rygar86 said:
It's impossible to drive from the chase cam view when using steering wheel... :0 I can't feel where the car is or what it is about to do. So, sorry - that one I can't do!

EDIT: Oh, you want me to record a replay from chase cam? Now THAT I can do! ;) (Paddles switches camera views during replay on the G27 - very handy)
BrySkye said:
Rygar86 said:
Rygar86 said:

?
You'd only have to record that live, as in during gameplay, if you wanted to hear the pace notes and see aspects of the HUD.
Otherwise, you can select any of the in-game view options during a replay, including the two chase views.
Thanks @BrySkye for this, heard people saying the views are not selectable for some reason?

I have not been able to use replays myself because I had to disable them because they kept freezing the game every few seconds!

Very glad to hear this, thanks :)
Yeah, replay mode has all the normal in-game views plus two additional ones: A central cockpit camera between the two drivers and the 'cinematic' mode which uses pre-determined angles at specific parts of the track.
I recorded this one in the replay mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hKi1oWhaw
engine breaking in this game can work i use it sometimes over normal breaking depends on situation in gear. also if you decent it dont really matter if you use manual or auto. i have proved this already.

many people look down on auto gearing but look at a rally car now days it is basically a auto anyway.

Archived