Sign in to follow this  

WTF is wrong with Dirt Rally Sierra Cosworths 2nd gear???

This cant be how the Sierra Cosworth is  in real life surely.  If it is then god knows how it ever became a rally car champion.  Heres the scenario you floor it in 1st gear to the red line, change to 2nd and the revs drop to 2,000 odd and stay there (so basically you are just rolling along) and then a second or so later the revs start climbing.  Eh?!  So, when I had this issue I thought I had changed to 2nd too soon and the revs weren't high enough, so I put it back into 1st red-lined the hell out of  it for a second or so which seemed like ages, changed to 2nd again and the revs were somewhere around the middle of the range, marginally better at around 4000 revs.   Revving the hell out of 1st doesnt always work though and then rev is second still drop so low that the car has no powere.  I have noticed this multiple times with this car.  It doesn't do it every time but it does it A LOT.  I have been going up hill at time, when you would expect this to be more of an issue, and 2nd was fine with a normal amount of revs..and that was uphill.  WTF is going on.?!  It cant be purposefully made like this surely.  I really want to like this car but how it is at the moment, its a piece is sh**.

Just me?

^ turbo lag theory,though often suggested doesnt hold true......................if i  watch some rally vids onboard and can tell tnoticable swinging of the needle on the boost /vacuum gauge ???????????????? the rally videos ,alt least to me suggest a lot more power thats manageble on the turbo cosworths 

If you have advanced tuning unlocked, you can adjust the individual gears. Making first taller and second shorter might help.

Not really sure as I have never driven the cozzie.

Im thinking that its more a bug and less a turbo lag issue.  If it was turbo lag it would be evident in more than just second gear and it would also happen all the time, not most of the time.  The drop in revs and the car just rolling along in the bottom of 2nd gear is ridiculous.  You cant race like that!  I think the dev's should take a look as I dont believe that this is how it should be.

Changing advanced tuning is all well and good, if it works, but you should be able to jump into the car on a custom event and not have to experience this awful 2nd gear, which is massively frustrating, screws up your times and driving, and basically means you never pick that car again, which is a shame as the rest of it I like, better than the other cars in its class.

K4mOnThen said:
Im thinking that its more a bug and less a turbo lag issue.  If it was turbo lag it would be evident in more than just second gear and it would also happen all the time, not most of the time.  The drop in revs and the car just rolling along in the bottom of 2nd gear is ridiculous.  You cant race like that!  I think the dev's should take a look as I dont believe that this is how it should be.

Changing advanced tuning is all well and good, if it works, but you should be able to jump into the car on a custom event and not have to experience this awful 2nd gear, which is massively frustrating, screws up your times and driving, and basically means you never pick that car again, which is a shame as the rest of it I like, better than the other cars in its class.
I never had a problem with its gears, granted I use a manual transmission, but rather the terrible understeer that is so unlike Sierra's that it's sickening. The E30 is the only other car in the class, and is a lot better - both sound and handling-wise. :)

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. Hope this helps a little.

I finished setting up the Cosworth last night, and it's not really that the car is broken. It just needs to be setup better for automatic trannies. For those of you running automatic or semiauto, you have to wait until the ground is level or downhill to reach enough speed for second gear.  On default, they are spaced too far apart.
This is my initial setup, which has been working fine (I might tweak it differently for hillclimbs in Greece).

1st Gear: 1
2nd Gear: 2.3 (I bumped this much closer to 1st gear, then tweaked the next gears along a curve)
3rd Gear: 4
4th Gear: 6.5
5th Gear: 9.3
Final Gear Reduction: 5.7 (Set this lower if you still have problems, especially on hillclimb type stages).

If you ever get stuck again running the daily with the car, you will need to shift with a controller button or paddleshifter.

Hope this helps!

Ok boys and girl, one thing : that is not turbo lag, and that is not a bug

That's called Turbo Threshold, basically at 2000 RPM the engine is way too slow for the turbo to be effective. You want to keep it high ? keep the RPM High

RookieOne said:

That's called Turbo Threshold, basically at 2000 RPM the engine is way too slow for the turbo to be effective. You want to keep it high ? keep the RPM High
I do keep the revs high in 1st gear.  I having to red-lining it for 2 or 3 secs (which is ridiculous but thats the only was you can get it to work SOMETIMES) and then changing...2nd gear still drops to virtually no revs and stay like that for another second or so.    If it was 'as designed' then surely it wouldn't be so hit and miss and it would just be sh** all the time, rather than just most of the time.  Im using paddle shift too.

I've been using the Sierra Cosworth for the last couple of weeks. I use semi-automatic transmission, so last week what would happen at the start of a stage is: handbrake on, revs at ~6000, go, handbrake off, car takes off and at the redline automatically changes to 2nd, and then I probably crash into a tree or something.

This week has gone like this: handbrake on, revs at ~6000, go, handbrake off, car takes off and at the redline stays in 1st, toodling along at 46 km/h indefinitely. I have to change to 2nd myself, then the revs drop way way down, then quickly go back up and it's back to normal—until it ever drops down into 1st again, in which case I have to manually change to 2nd again.

i always drive semi auto so i shift but without clutch........................what really helped last night is setting a tall 1st gear then the car seem to pickup speed as you keep upshifting at redline ,and i was able to build speed to 130-140 kph in Wales 

dwkGravey said:
I've been using the Sierra Cosworth for the last couple of weeks. I use semi-automatic transmission, so last week what would happen at the start of a stage is: handbrake on, revs at ~6000, go, handbrake off, car takes off and at the redline automatically changes to 2nd, and then I probably crash into a tree or something.

This week has gone like this: handbrake on, revs at ~6000, go, handbrake off, car takes off and at the redline stays in 1st, toodling along at 46 km/h indefinitely. I have to change to 2nd myself, then the revs drop way way down, then quickly go back up and it's back to normal—until it ever drops down into 1st again, in which case I have to manually change to 2nd again.
The bit I have highlighted in bold is exactly what happens to me using paddleshifters on wheel

K4mOnThen said:
RookieOne said:

I do keep the revs high in 1st gear.  I having to red-lining it for 2 or 3 secs (which is ridiculous but thats the only was you can get it to work SOMETIMES) and then changing...2nd gear still drops to virtually no revs and stay like that for another second or so.    If it was 'as designed' then surely it wouldn't be so hit and miss and it would just be sh** all the time, rather than just most of the time.  Im using paddle shift too.
Me too . . . there is bugger all right about this.
You'd have to be an idiot to think this is normal . . . decades in gaming and some want me to believe there is nothing wrong with the Cosworth, I'll leave it there otherwise I'll be heading for the ban waggon . . .

It's bad gearing, not a bug. I changed the setup as soon as I had advanced tuning available and it works fine now.

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. Hope this helps a little.

I finished setting up the Cosworth last night, and it's not really that the car is broken. It just needs to be setup better for automatic trannies. For those of you running automatic or semiauto, you have to wait until the ground is level or downhill to reach enough speed for second gear.  On default, they are spaced too far apart.
This is my initial setup, which has been working fine (I might tweak it differently for hillclimbs in Greece).

1st Gear: 1
2nd Gear: 2.3 (I bumped this much closer to 1st gear, then tweaked the next gears along a curve)
3rd Gear: 4
4th Gear: 6.5
5th Gear: 9.3
Final Gear Reduction: 5.7 (Set this lower if you still have problems, especially on hillclimb type stages).

If you ever get stuck again running the daily with the car, you will need to shift with a controller button or paddleshifter.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, that worked perfectly!

It's bad gearing, not a bug. I changed the setup as soon as I had advanced tuning available and it works fine now.
if every other car doesn't do it it must be a bug.why does a cosworth do it ? every cossie i been in dont do it :p