Jump to content Jump to content

Is DiRT currently supposed to have Surround Sound? I only get Stereo Sound.


Rygar86

Recommended Posts

Does anyone here get 5.1 Sound?

I have Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers and the sound only comes out of the left and right front speakers. Nothing from the Center speaker and nothing from the Rears.

I have a Creative X-Fi sound card (quite an old card) but I can always get 5.1 when playing other games.

In the game audio options there does not seem to be any options to select the output so I am wondering if it is just supposed to detect it and work automatically?

Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be?

I have the following:
i5 2500K (3400Mhz)
AMD Radeon 7850 GPU (2Gb)
16 Gb DDR 3
Windows 7-64bit

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
AFAICT no 5.1 - I have a 5.1 headset.

work automatically?
Sound modes are not chosen based on connected devices or even  windows settings in any game I have seen, so this is not likely. ( I might be wrong)

always get 5.1 when playing
You can upmix a mp3 to 5.1, does not mean its a native surround file or that it sounds good.

this "problem"
Rejoice in the fact that the actual sounds you hear are gorgeous, and greatly drives immersion in this game!
Link to post
Share on other sites
RacerRune said:
AFAICT no 5.1 - I have a 5.1 headset.

work automatically?
Sound modes are not chosen based on connected devices or even  windows settings in any game I have seen, so this is not likely. ( I might be wrong)

always get 5.1 when playing
You can upmix a mp3 to 5.1, does not mean its a native surround file or that it sounds good.

this "problem"
Rejoice in the fact that the actual sounds you hear are gorgeous, and greatly drives immersion in this game!
Okay thanks, so maybe it does not have 5.1 implemented yet.

I was not talking about upmixing or anything like that and I know what the difference is, I meant that I have no trouble getting 5.1 sound to work for me when the game supports it.

I actually do like the sound and think it is very good, I was simply asking if 5.1 is supported yet and assuming the problem was on my end if indeed it already is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoke with Codie's sound guy, 5.1 is there and set up in game, really depends on your speaker position and output.  If I use headphones with virtual sound in Realtek it mixes better and sounds correct.  I'm not sure why my 5.1 speakers have such a weak rear output in game.  
Link to post
Share on other sites
gfRally said:
Spoke with Codie's sound guy, 5.1 is there and set up in game, really depends on your speaker position and output.  If I use headphones with virtual sound in Realtek it mixes better and sounds correct.  I'm not sure why my 5.1 speakers have such a weak rear output in game.  
Okay, this is interesting, if it is supported it seems like it's not properly working then. Because so far that makes 3 of us that are not getting a surround sound output.

I think there are still issues that need to be sorted with the sound because the other day I actually heard the crowd for the very first time! It was a total fluke because I was driving very slowly and very close to them on a stage in Wales and it was so soft you could barley hear it but it was there!

No doubt they are aware of this and intend to fix it? But I don't think the guy you spoke to should be saying it's working and fully supported as yet.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe what was ment it its in the code and works in studio with their setup.  I don't think he was saying it's perfect and not their problem, per say, just its in there.  We just need to report our findings like this, and figure out if it's our setups, that we need to tweak a little or they need to boost output for us that have different setups.  Probably audio is rather tough to work out since we can't just take a screenshot or video, and say here.  I'm sure it will get worked out, I had problems with Assetto Corsa the same way.  
Link to post
Share on other sites
gfRally said:
I believe what was ment it its in the code and works in studio with their setup.  I don't think he was saying it's perfect and not their problem, per say, just its in there.  We just need to report our findings like this, and figure out if it's our setups, that we need to tweak a little or they need to boost output for us that have different setups.  Probably audio is rather tough to work out since we can't just take a screenshot or video, and say here.  I'm sure it will get worked out, I had problems with Assetto Corsa the same way.  
Thanks for clarifying @gfRally :) I should probably try to report this through the bug report system and see what they say. I'm also hoping that it will only be a matter of time before it's sorted.
Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfx said:
DiRT Rally supports whatever configuration your PC audio output is set to.

Go to playback devices > select your output > configure

Check you have 5.1 surround selected.

Thanks for this, but what menus are you referring to above?
Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfx said:
DiRT Rally supports whatever configuration your PC audio output is set to.

Go to playback devices > select your output > configure

Check you have 5.1 surround selected.

Thanks, but what menus are you referring to above?
Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfx said:
DiRT Rally supports whatever configuration your PC audio output is set to.

Go to playback devices > select your output > configure

Check you have 5.1 surround selected.

Thanks for this, but what menus are you referring to above?
Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfx said:
DiRT Rally supports whatever configuration your PC audio output is set to.

Go to playback devices > select your output > configure

Check you have 5.1 surround selected.

Thanks, but what menus are you referring to above?
Link to post
Share on other sites
Rygar86 said:
soundfx said:
DiRT Rally supports whatever configuration your PC audio output is set to.

Go to playback devices > select your output > configure

Check you have 5.1 surround selected.

Thanks, but what menus are you referring to above?
Never mind, I have found it and fixed the problem, cheers!

I had to go into my sound card properties and select the audio output as 5.1 instead of 2.1 as you suggested. This is something that I assumed was already set but I recently re-installed windows and forgot that it had not been changed!

For those who are wondering, her is the exact steps I took:
Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback (Tab) -> Speakers (In List) -> Configure (button) -> Select 5.1

That's it, that's all it took to get it working. The sound now comes out of the centre speaker and I'm assuming the rears as well but I need to turn it up a bit more and get closer to them to confirm this for sure. I will do this and check back.

But it looks like 5.1 is definetly supported :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...