Sign in to follow this  

Wheel x controller

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

I have played F1 games for a long time and I’ve always used the controller. The problem is that each new F1 game released I have noticed it’s getting harder and harder to play with the controller, especially to control the car in turns that demand a fast change of direction.

I’m seriously considering to buy a wheel. So I would like to know if it’s easier to control the car with a wheel than it is with a controller (I have never played with a wheel). Also, is it easier to drive with no assists using a wheel?

Edited by RedRenats

My fingers are dumb for using gamepad, it looks the same as when I am on keyboard. :classic_biggrin: So, in that sense, I find it much easier and more natural when using wheel.

Personally I am using pad too and with exception of ABS I have every other assist off, and don't have any problem controlling car, but using wheel will always be much better when trying to control car. With racing wheel you can be much smoother on turning, accelarating and braking. With that it is of course easier to play with no assist on wheel. My experience I still can't play without ABS on gamepad, but when I tried game at my fiends house who has wheel I was much more confident and after couple of laps I was able to brake better without ABS on wheel than after many hours on pad. On top of that with wheel you can really feel the car much better, which give you better control and it is realistic experience. From first it is not gonna be easy with wheel it is really different compared to gamepad but with more practice you will see big improvements.

• Agree 1

Moved from pad to wheel for the first time last month.

Pad with all assists incl. ABS switched off was a hand cramping nightmare. Cadence braking while retaining sufficient sensitivity on the joystick and grip on the pad itself with the fingers of the left hand was the major challenge of the game for me. Also manual ERS was very difficult apart from on medium or longer straights. 

Steering wheel is not only more intuitive (because it is the way that vehicles are controlled in the real world), it has also alleviated the cramp and fatigue I experienced in my hands meaning that I'm not making an increasing number of mistakes as the session goes on. 

Now the major challenge of the game is training my left foot to cadence brake- a challenge which I would face if I were racing a two-pedal car for real. 

The actual performance advantages are pretty marginal and so far I'm actually slower with the wheel but I would not go back to pad even if I was quicker with it.

Being able to control a racing car with a games console pad is not a skill I particularly aspire towards. Spending more time behind a steering wheel and developing skill using the same mechanisms I encounter in the real world is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RedRenats said:

Hello everyone!

I have played F1 games for a long time and I’ve always used the controller. The problem is that each new F1 game released I have noticed it’s getting harder and harder to play with the controller, especially to control the car in turns that demand a fast change of direction.

I’m seriously considering to buy a wheel. So I would like to know if it’s easier to control the car with a wheel than it is with a controller (I have never played with a wheel). Also, is it easier to drive with no assists using a wheel?

In this particular franchise there isn't much difference, in other more "hardcore" titles the jump can be quite jarring, make or break jarring.

The guy in the video jumps pad to wheel and is a little slower than he was before, in a week, maybe, he'll be slightly faster but not by much.

Personal opinion, independently of how it will affect your competitiveness, go for the wheel (assuming you spend a significant amount of time playing racing games) it's just that much more fun and enjoyable, if my wheel broke down i would wait a new one before purchasing any racing games i just don't care for racing with a pad any more.

Edited by LChaves01
  • Haha 1

I play with a controller, but have only tried a wheel a couple of times. I'm not able to fix down a wheel, so it's not possible to play with one. I'm fine with using a controller though. I find some circuits harder on my hands than others, but I tend to grip the controller to tight anyway, so that obviously doesn't help.

I tried it without traction control and ABS, but I couldn't get the hang of it as the triggers go from 0 to 100 quite quickly. I play with medium traction control but find it a bit too easy. A 'low' setting would be great.

My biggest gripe with using a controller is the Monaco hairpin. I've tried different speeds and lines, but I'm always slow on it. 

I play with a wheel I’ve tried a controller but cant use it I find a wheel better more natural. The only assist I use is traction control as I keep locking the wheels but I believe if you lower the brake pressure this helps with the locking up.

5 hours ago, maxim650 said:

I play with a wheel I’ve tried a controller but cant use it I find a wheel better more natural. The only assist I use is traction control as I keep locking the wheels but I believe if you lower the brake pressure this helps with the locking up.

You mean ABS? That's the system that helps you from locking the tyre under braking. Traction control helps you to gain more control traction wise, so you won't be spinning that often with traction control enabled.

seriously, the controller is usually stronger than the steering wheel on many tracks.
however if you want to spend little I recommend the g29, if instead you have more possibilities the T300

Yes sorry I meant abs .. just traction control jumped in my head ..

It's certainly more natural, to me, using a wheel, but there are many very competitive players that use a pad.  So is the car easier to control, and is it easier to drive without assists while using a wheel?  That's not really possible for us to predict when it comes to you.  It's entirely on the player, and how much time/dedication they want to give the game.  

For me, like I say, it's more of a natural feeling using the wheel.  I was able to sit down with the wheel, and pretty quickly put in some relatively competitive times compared to what I did with the pad.  However, to be fair, I didn't dedicate a lot of time practicing with the pad.  For all I know my lap times could have come down quickly with a pad, and it's possible I could have been even faster with a pad.  But that's not reason enough to invest in a wheel.  I bought my wheel and rig purely from wanting to have fun with the game - I didn't do it to chase lap times.  I don't have a lot of time to grind away chasing every tenth of a second over a lap.  I just want to play, get enjoyment from the experience, and that's what the wheel gave me above all. 

Not that you are, but I see a lot of people ask if using a wheel will make them faster and I don't necessarily think it will.  Will you have a better sense of immersion with a wheel, and will the game be more enjoyable?  I believe so.

• Agree 1