Apparently F1 is interested in making an alternative game to the official codemasters game. that is just simulation.

• Confused 1

I had a theory about this just a few days ago.  I don’t think Codemasters have the manpower and staff to also develop a hardcore sim edition of the game alongside their main F1 series BUT I could definitely see F1 allowing other studios that focus on sim racing the freedom of having more official F1 cars, whether it be iRacing, Automobilista, rFactor etc.

That said, with Codemasters recent acquisition of Slightly Mad Studios (along with the fact that SMS also bidded for the F1 licence before it was renewed with Codemasters last year), could put them in the unique position of having a development team that already have the game engine and development team available to work on a more hardcore sim-focussed F1 entry.

Worst case scenario as I said a few days ago, I can definitely see Project Cars 3 featuring more official F1 cars instead of their more generic Formula A, B, C cars giving them and fans feedback as to whether a dedicated F1 sim focussed entry is a viable option and possibility. 

I personally think Slightly Mad Studios would jump at the chance to work on such a thing and with how much sim racing has been in the spotlight recently due to the current situation I do feel like Formula 1 themselves wish they had an alternative option available for a more hardcore sim-focussed platform.  I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Formula 1 going down that route as an addition to the current F1 series.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DANDREWTHOMSON said:

Apparently F1 is interested in making an alternative game to the official codemasters game. that is just simulation.

Is there any source for this, e.g. an interview, video etc. that you could provide?

Just now, KingDome24 said:

Is there any source for this, e.g. an interview, video etc. that you could provide?

Don't be silly. This is the Internet. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

I had a theory about this just a few days ago.  I don’t think Codemasters have the manpower and staff to also develop a hardcore sim edition of the game alongside their main F1 series BUT I could definitely see F1 allowing other studios that focus on sim racing the freedom of having more official F1 cars, whether it be iRacing, Automobilista, rFactor etc.

That said, with Codemasters recent acquisition of Slightly Mad Studios (along with the fact that SMS also bidded for the F1 licence before it was renewed with Codemasters last year), could put them in the unique position of having a development team that already have the game engine and development team available to work on a more hardcore sim-focussed F1 entry.

Worst case scenario as I said a few days ago, I can definitely see Project Cars 3 featuring more official F1 cars instead of their more generic Formula A, B, C cars giving them and fans feedback as to whether a dedicated F1 sim focussed entry is a viable option and possibility. 

I personally think Slightly Mad Studios would jump at the chance to work on such a thing and with how much sim racing has been in the spotlight recently due to the current situation I do feel like Formula 1 themselves wish they had an alternative option available for a more hardcore sim-focussed platform.  I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Formula 1 going down that route as an addition to the current F1 series.

If they lacked the manpower before they don't now, the obvious path would be to split E-sports from the main game.

Leclerc, Max and co "killing" F1 2019 might've triggered this.

Also "long term future", give it to me now FIA. 

Edited by LChaves01
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Exodium said:

YES!!! YES!!! YEEEEESSSS!!!! 

PLEASE LET F1 DO THIS!! 

If this will be a real thing then I'll be the first to buy it, and support it in any way possible. It would mean finally a REAL alternative to F1! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Codemasters have the EXCLUSIVE licence until 2025 with an option to extend to 2027. 

With the licence being exclusive unless F1 were to go into a protracted legal case over the contract, don't expect this stand alone 'sim' anytime before 2028.

Hence why the F1 guy in the interview said 'long term development' and everyone seems to be overlooking that part lol 

Source: Official stament over EXCLUSIVE contract http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/10/codemasters-extends-formula-1-partnership/

Edited by TomAAA

40 minutes ago, LChaves01 said:

If they lacked the manpower before they don't now, the obvious path would be to split E-sports from the main game.

Leclerc, Max and co "killing" F1 2019 might've triggered this.

Also "long term future", give it to me now FIA. 

Funny thing, a couple of people on the forums know I've been in contact with F1/FOM/Liberty Media complaining about the state of 2019 "official" licensed game and especially the way CM treats the fanbase (us the community) with several links to forums where CM is beeing the target of that critisism and never took the energy of defending themselves or reacting. The whole conversation was taken seriously by F1 because of the proof i linked with it,

not so long after this, a statement like that is beeing made. Somehow I feel like FOM/LM is doing what CM should have done all that time. LISTEN TO FANS AND/OR THIS COMMUNITY AND RESPONS ACCORDINGLY.

Believe me that a statement like that from FOM is a kick in the nutsack of CM, because remember a statement from mister DOESNTMATHER? Handling that SIMULATION drivers LOVE? 

and now FOM says themselves it's nothing like SIMULATION. But more ARCADE! 

again empty words/lies from CM proven by actions from FOM themselves.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Codemasters have the EXCLUSIVE licence until 2025 with an option if they choose to extend to 2027. 

With the licence being exclusive unless F1 were to go into a protracted legal case over the contract, don't expect this stand alone 'sim' anytime before 2028. Hence why the F1 guy in the interview said 'long term development' and everyone seems to be overlooking that part lol 

Source: Official stament over EXCLUSIVE contract http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/10/codemasters-extends-formula-1-partnership/

Nobody knows the legal agreements to the letter. 

and i think if people like Norris, Verstappen and co OPENLY on internet ON VIDEO destroy the game in all it's aspects like that, FOM has an clause in that agreement to take away the exclusive part of that agreement. 

it could be something like QUALITY not beeing up to standards. Eepecially when the real F1 drivers bash it so openly it's not good commercial value for F1 nor CM.

and since the damage has already been done, i an not surprised a statement like this is coming out after such a debacle. 

drivers also have performance clause's in their contracts, so why wouldn't there be something like this in an exclusvity contract. Especially after what happened.

Edited by AlexTT

30 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

it could be something like QUALITY not beeing up to standards. Eepecially when the real F1 drivers bash it so openly it's not good commercial value for F1 nor CM.

...Did you read the news?

“We talk about accessibility and for us, I think the first and foremost priority is how we can use esports to break down borders and increase accessibility. And I think that the Codemasters game actually does a terrific job of doing that because it still provides an authentic experience without being overly [demanding], I would say, from a difficulty perspective. It provides accessibility, which I think is a good thing.

But when you think about other strategic objectives that esports within motorsports could potentially fill whether that is the blurring of lines between the virtual and the real, I think that our Codemasters game does a great job but if you wanted to have that more porous movement between both realities, I think that having a sort of a simulation-focussed game does help those objectives"

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, UP100 said:

...Did you read the news?

“We talk about accessibility and for us, I think the first and foremost priority is how we can use esports to break down borders and increase accessibility. And I think that the Codemasters game actually does a terrific job of doing that because it still provides an authentic experience without being overly [demanding], I would say, from a difficulty perspective. It provides accessibility, which I think is a good thing.

But when you think about other strategic objectives that esports within motorsports could potentially fill whether that is the blurring of lines between the virtual and the real, I think that our Codemasters game does a great job but if you wanted to have that more porous movement between both realities, I think that having a sort of a simulation-focussed game does help those objectives"

Press talk. FOM will never openly critizize CM like the drivers do. 

read the last line. BUT IF YOU WANTED TO HAVE THAT MORE POROUS MOVEMENT BETWEEN BOTH REALITIES, I THINK THAT HAVING A SORT OF A SIMULATION FOCUSSED GAME DOES HELP THOSE OBJECTIVES.

you have to read between the lines.

I too like the sound of this, and I'm prepared to wait. Long term, as computing power increases and development time is spent, a more simulation based approach to physics, car setup and handling would be most welcome. The "dumbed down" version we have from codemasters is insulting to the pinnacle of motorsport!

10 hours ago, Exodium said:

Also from this article:

Tan [F1's head of esports and digital business] said the emergence of “hardcore simulation” titles is “an incredibly important narrative” within esports.

“I do think that simulation will become increasingly important. When we think about the longer-term strategic objectives of Formula 1 esports and how we operate within this space, I think that there are many, many levers."

Back in the day EA, understanding that the PC crowd is a little different from the console players, commissioned ISI (of Rfactor fame) to create a sim tiltle for PC.

It was still published and marketed as EA F1 20xx, but it was a wholly different game to what EA sold on consoles. 

Perhaps a similar arrangement needs to happen here.

It’s going to be very interesting to see if and how this is going to happen.

If it’s going to happen, I would like to see SMS develop it, since they’re already part of CM now. Perhaps start with F1 cars and tracks (or perhaps a full F1 season expansion pack) in PCars 3. I’d go for that. 

10 hours ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

If it’s going to happen, I would like to see SMS develop it.... 

The mere thought of this happening made me throw up a lil in my mouth 🤢

10 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

The mere thought of this happening made me throw up a lil in my mouth 🤢

😄 Not me, mate.. I love me some Project Cars!

19 minutes ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

😄 Not me, mate.. I love me some Project Cars!

Have you tried AC, Rfactor, Automobilista... anything else? 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, AlexTT said:

and i think if people like Norris, Verstappen and co OPENLY on internet ON VIDEO destroy the game in all it's aspects like that, FOM has an clause in that agreement to take away the exclusive part of that agreement. 

I very much doubt that. The target market for the game is not professional F1 drivers, and it sells bucketloads every year regardless of what they think about it.

Just watched the virtual Formula e race today. JEV commented that rfactor2 Formula E wasn't that realistic and he didn't spend much time on it as it would detract from driving a real FE sim or FE car.

So, I think the chance of getting "full simulation" at an affordable price is slim to nil.  If one had £20k+, not a problem.  But for less than £100, forget it. 

And it seems that drivers, possibly also complaining about the lack of realism, cheat by using TV pod view instead of cockpit view to get faster times!!!