Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Beginner guide

Hi,

Downloaded F1 2019 demo on PS4 and got really hooked (after watching Netflix F1 series) :D

Are there any good beginner guides because there is so many things in this game and I get lost - like car setup, tyre, fuel management, then part upgrades and so on. I'm playing with controller with max assist on and AI is set to 30 (easy), should I try without assists and increase AI, or should I play a little and increase gradually?

I also have a question about general approach, naturally I want to win every race, but I joined Alfa Romeo so in real life it would be unrealistic, so my first race in Australia I've finished in 4th place, does it mean game is to easy and I should increase difficulty?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the n00b questions :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dzebas said:

I also have a question about general approach, naturally I want to win every race, but I joined Alfa Romeo so in real life it would be unrealistic, so my first race in Australia I've finished in 4th place, does it mean game is to easy and I should increase difficulty?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the n00b questions :)

Unfortunately I don't know of any beginner guides, but I'm sure there are some around.

With regards to the difficulty, you should probably turn it up. I started with Alfa Romeo and aimed to occasionally finish in the top 10. I did this 12 times, but I probably had the difficulty too low. Just after the halfway point of the season, my car was 5th in the performance ranking, so that probably played a part in getting decent results. It dropped to 7th by the end of the season as I saved resource points for the regulation change.

Alfa Romeo are ranked 8th at the start of career, so to make it a bit more realistic maybe find a difficulty that allows you to finish above 15th in most races but not regularly in the top 10. That way you should get a good balance between it being fun and challenging. It will feel like an achievement when you do get in the top 10. 

Edited by WestHam66
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Dzebas said:

Hi,

Downloaded F1 2019 demo on PS4 and got really hooked (after watching Netflix F1 series) 😄

Are there any good beginner guides because there is so many things in this game and I get lost - like car setup, tyre, fuel management, then part upgrades and so on. I'm playing with controller with max assist on and AI is set to 30 (easy), should I try without assists and increase AI, or should I play a little and increase gradually?

Hi! There are some in-game tutorials that show you the most important things like DRS, ERS, tyre and fuel management so definitely check those out.

When playing career mode, you will have different practice programs like fuel, tyre and ERS management so by doing those you should learn how to manage them and be faster. I would definitely recommend bumping up the difficulty and turning some assists off once once you feel confident enough.

• Agree 1

I think CM did a good job making this a game which you can play in multiple ways. 

I am a long time fan of the sport so I have been watching and learning for years and I know quite a lot about the intricacies and quirks of F1.

As a newcomer I imagine it'd be pretty easy to be deterred by the apparent technicality of the game.

Therefore my advice to you would be;

-don't get too bogged down in car setup straight away. There are threads in the 'setup' section of the forum which can tell you which setup pre-set is good for each track.

-don't try to ace everything. I used to get very frustrated trying to get purple on all training sessions every weekend. It's not necessary, and if you set the game up so you can do this, you probably have it set too easy. 

-Instead of the above, first concentrate on the driving and especially your controller scheme / set up, Getting this right will radically enhance the experience more than fiddling with the car setup.

-Play the game. Try not to get stuck or hung up on any one challenge. A formula 1 season is a long form competition, you will bomb some challenges and smash others. 

Hello Dzebas. I've also just downloaded the trial/demo for Xbox and went on to purchase the full game. The full game does indeed have tutorials that have explained some of the more technical aspects of F1 to me.......but if you're managing to finish 4th in the Aussie GP on the trial version then I think you're going to do really well in the full game.  Enjoy.

• Agree 1

Thanks everyone, watched all in game tutorials, slowly learning stuff 🙂 Regarding my first race AI was on default level 30, this is why I managed to finish in 4th place with Alpha Romeo. Now increased AI to 45, little more challenging for n00b like me.

• Like 1

Agree. Games in the past came with paper manuals - GP3 around 170 pages, F1 99 20 pages. Codemasters should provide an online pdf manual with an explanation of all the settings. Watching YouTube videos is incredibly time-wasting. Often a 15min video has information that could be on a sheet of paper with a couple of pics and scanned/read in a few seconds. YT is an excellent way to waste hours!! 

• Agree 1

Increased AI to 45, still managed to finish 4th, looks like I need to increase some more as it's not realistic for Alfa team. 

Unfortunately price on AU PSN went back to $99 from $17, so have to wait for another discount, don't want to pay this much for an older game when F1 2020 is around the corner.

Bought the game, couldn't resist getting really cheap on PSN ($15 AUD).

Increased difficulty to 50, but seems still too low - second race in Bahrain finished 8th and beat my teammate by 35 seconds. Also I had fastest lap, so kinda unrealistic 🙂

Love the game.

Increased AI to 70, looks like a good place when I learn how to drive properly 🙂

Regarding driving assists, what is the best way to minimise them when learning (apart from disabling them all of course 🙂 )

Currently I have:

Braking Assist: Medium

Traction control: Full

Dynamic Racing Line: Corners Only

Gearbox: Automatic

ERS Mode: Automatic

1 minute ago, Dzebas said:

Increased AI to 70, looks like a good place when I learn how to drive properly 🙂

Regarding driving assists, what is the best way to minimise them when learning (apart from disabling them all of course 🙂 )

Currently I have:

Braking Assist: Medium

Traction control: Full

Gearbox: Automatic

You can leave the ERS on Auto, it won't be relevant in the 2020 edition anyways.

If I were you, I'd set the traction control to medium. Run a few races, get a feel for it, then set the braking assists to Off after that. Then gearbox to Manual with suggested gear.

Posted (edited)

@Dzebas

Try this way. It may help you learn how to use the gears to help the car turn. Don't give up if you are having trouble. You will become faster in time with practice. I hope this helps you.

Braking Assist: Off

Traction control: Med

Antilock Brakes: On

Gearbox: Manual

Edited by Getts0388

Thank you both! Reduced traction to medium, didn't notice too much difference in difficulty. Next thing probably manual gearbox and braking assist, these will be much harder to get use to I guess.

Switched gearbox to manual, no braking assists, traction on medium, can't beat my personal best time with Alfa Romeo in Australia:

Time with assists: 1:26:935

Time minimal assists and manual gearbox: 1:27:340

I guess I just keep practising and time without assists should improve?

That's right, practice and logging dozens of laps around circuits that will make you faster. It's completely normal that you are a bit slower with less assists, you have to learn new driving styles and approach turns in a different way.

Are you glad that you got the full version of the game Dzebas? I am as I'm having a great time playing it. My current assists are,

Braking Assist: Med

Traction control: Med

Antilock Brakes: On

Dynamic Racing Line: Corners Only

Gearbox: Auto

My lap times are on average 10-15 seconds slower than the fast lads and lasses, but are a huge improvement on the timings when I first played the game! 

I'm impressed that you've tried manual gearbox and that your manual lap is less than a second slower than your auto gearbox lap. I tried a few laps with manual gearbox and my lap times were up to 15 seconds slower. I just can't coordinate gearing down/braking/cornering all at the same time......not yet anyway.

Don’t give up when you start turning more assists off. You will get faster with A LOT of practice. As I play on a complete sim chair rig it was easier for me to switch to manual gear box. It is a key thing in getting faster. You can use the downshifts to help turn the car. Practice, practice, practice is key. Speed will come with that. 

PLEASE HELP! Ive had the game for months now from Steam but it opens only for a minute and then closes again.

@Scrogs - yeah really glad, love this game! 🙂

Thanks everyone for your inputs, after another hour of practising I managed to beat my best time without assists (1:25:680), but I can only do 1-2 good laps out of 10, I keep loosing control of my car way more than with assists. Not sure which assist affects this most - traction control or braking assist? Maybe I should slow down a bit, but when i see that ghost car in front of me I've the urge to catch up, which mostly results me meeting the wall. 😁

Scrogs, I didn't find manual gearbox too difficult, maybe just try for couple of hours and you'll get used to it. 

• Agree 1

OK then. I've driven laps of Silverstone for a couple of hours today with some assists turned off/reduced. 

Braking Assist: Off

Traction control: Med

Antilock Brakes: Off

Dynamic Racing Line: Corners Only

Gearbox: Auto

Timings are slower......but driving enjoyment raised immensely. So I spin off the track every other circuit. I'm loving the driving experience. 

Getting slowly use to less assists, but no matter how hard I try can't beat my personal best in Australia with Mercedes - 1:24:478.  I don't know if I need to practice this lap for another x1000 times, but I don't get how a lot of people get into 1:21 on this track?