In your opinion, what is the worst problem in the F1 game series?

The biggest thing I would change is the fact that wet lines are non-existent in Codemasters F1.

For me, having to experiment with lines in the wet is a fun challenge and it should be a performance differentiator. 

I was sorely disappointed first time I drove in the wet in the game as I quickly realised that the quickest line was exactly as per the dry line and the AI drives exactly as it does in the dry only at a lower speed.

See Max Verstappen in Brazil a couple of years ago for an example of how extremely different wet lines are from dry and how effective these extreme lines can be.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, UP100 said:

Just asking, how can you say that? The reason I almost never argue about physics is that I have nothing to base it on. Just saying "look at onboards" for example just doesn't really help as the people driving are pros that have thousands of hours of experience in such machines and such.

The amount of stability that the F1 games' cars have is absolutely unbelievable. Spinning is almost impossible if someone doesn't take you out... in which case you can still probably avoid the wall no problem.

Like in the last Codemasters Forum Championship race. I went straight through Ascari on the grass and survived just fine. In basically any other game I'd probably be in the wall 😁 

I'm saying it from experiencing it in this game. If I watch a real F1 car take turn 1 at Silverstone flat out in 8th I notice it doesn't drift. If you take it flat out in this game it drifts or feels slippery. Even on lap 2 with softs. I don't expect it to mimic real cars exactly but F1 cars aren't known for their drifting. They're known for their insane grip in turns at high speeds. Hence the giant wide grippy tires.

It's funny too after watching TRL Limitless's stream earlier today from Monaco in the Not GP Race, he actually mentions the lack of grip a few times and actually says the car feels like it's drifting around a certain 2 corners. You can watch it and hear it for yourself if you'd like. 44:30 of his video he mentions "it's like I'm drifting". I use him as an example because he is up there with the best of em that play the game. I think if I was wrong, you wouldn't hear those words out of his mouth. 

• Agree 1

Another bad thing about this game is being given a time penalty for cutting through a chicane... When someone rear ends you and pushes you through it. You literally had no where to go except forward because of the hit and you get penalized. Can't forget about that. Turn 1 at Monza. You slow down to take the turn and people behind plow into you because they don't know brakes exist. You then get hurdled into the chicane and a nice time penalty awaits you. Penalized for others pathetic driving.

6 hours ago, Mike5500 said:

It's funny too after watching TRL Limitless's stream earlier today from Monaco in the Not GP Race, he actually mentions the lack of grip a few times and actually says the car feels like it's drifting around a certain 2 corners. You can watch it and hear it for yourself if you'd like. 44:30 of his video he mentions "it's like I'm drifting". I use him as an example because he is up there with the best of em that play the game. I think if I was wrong, you wouldn't hear those words out of his mouth. 

Yeah but hear me out with this. Would they have more grip, if they wouldn't go 1.5 seconds quicker than in real life? Same for us. Maybe you feel you have more grip in AC as you're driving slower, while I feel I have less grip in rF2 because I'm driving "quicker"/trying to push causing me to slide. Sliding happens because of one pushing the car. I don't think I felt Silverstone T1 being that bad... although I absolutely never race in the UK except for the Codies Forum Championship race.

FFB has probably an effect as well... as that's the only thing we feel. Everything else has to be seen from the monitor. Try to remove the Understeer Enchance setting and see if you feel different.

I believe the last F1 game to punish you for losing control was F1 2011 in the rain or something. In which case you couldn't recover 😁 I think that's one of the reasons why some people complained about the F1 2012's handling as being more arcadish. In that game just pressing brake would get you the grip back no problem!

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Yeah but hear me out with this. Would they have more grip, if they wouldn't go 1.5 seconds quicker than in real life? Same for us. Maybe you feel you have more grip in AC as you're driving slower, while I feel I have less grip in rF2 because I'm driving "quicker"/trying to push causing me to slide. Sliding happens because of one pushing the car. I don't think I felt Silverstone T1 being that bad... although I absolutely never race in the UK except for the Codies Forum Championship race.

FFB has probably an effect as well... as that's the only thing we feel. Everything else has to be seen from the monitor. Try to remove the Understeer Enchance setting and see if you feel different.

I believe the last F1 game to punish you for losing control was F1 2011 in the rain or something. In which case you couldn't recover 😁 I think that's one of the reasons why some people complained about the F1 2012's handling as being more arcadish. In that game just pressing brake would get you the grip back no problem!

The lap I did in AC according to RSR live timing would have put me in 4th place overall. That's a global leaderboard, so I don't think I felt I had more grip because I was driving slower. I was pushing it to the limit and on fast turns it gripped with no drifting sensation. It was a sub 5 minute nordschleife tourist lap. AC is a sim though whereas F1 2019 is labelled a game. It's as close to how the cars react in real life, obviously not identical but close. F1 2019/20 should be more SIM like than game oriented IMO. Also I've tried understeer enhance off/on. Makes no difference. I find the MP cars to be especially slippery feeling. It's just my opinion. I know others agree with me and others don't. I still really enjoy the game but sometimes it's just aggravating because of how the grip vanishes even with fresh tires. Some tracks like Spa feel like driving on ice (exaggeration) and others like Austria feel more grippy. Agree to disagree ✌

Posted (edited)

Sim community defamation?

Not only they're misleading new comer to racing games, Codemaster F1 series is no different to actual reputable simracing game. People act like you can't drift or go sideway with a F1 car, because you can't in those reputable simulators.
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/5/QUALIFYING__Bottas_slides_his_way_around_the_hairpin.html

Someone need to step up & make an arcade tactical & technique guide for virtual racing. It would be 100% esport ready & compatible for arcade/simulators racing games. Arcade or sim being a different entity is a fallacy.

Those hardware scam vendors need to stop living under a rock. Instead of selling fake dream, just share that it only provide superior immersion rather than realism.

Edited by MrDeap

I should also add how random and stupid the lap invalidation in time trials is at Britain Short in turn number 5. Fix that. If you go wider it will allow it but if you take a tighter turn it invalidates it. Even if you don't cut the corner. Both lines are legal and proper yet the tighter line gets invalidated. It makes no sense. I urge you reading this to go try it and you'll see how stupid and frustrating it is.

• Agree 1

For me there is not one problem that I could point out that would make the game significantly better. It is more a combination of little things that bugs me and ruins the experience (sometimes). I like the F1 games and at the moment I am racing almost every day. I play career mode, but that is getting kind of boring as me and my teammate are way faster than the rest of the grid. I race online with 2 close friends, which juices up the races from time to time. Yesterday I tried a ranked session for the first time in months. Qualified 3rd on Spa, had a decent start. Got punted in the back while braking for T1, got pushed off track and received a 2 second time penalty for exceeding track limits. At that point, I realised why I do not race online with strangers.

These are the things that annoy me most:

• Online penalty system (see case mentioned above for an example)
  • Lapped cars that are not allowed to overtake and unlap themselves under SC conditions. How and why is this still a thing?
  • Host migration failing in a league on PS4. Happens all the time when I am racing with 2 of my friends and someone leaves the session.
  • Why is there always so much secrecy around tires? Why is the tyre allocation hidden in a menu, why can't I see how many laps a certain tyre can last during a race. When I have an accident in lap 4, I want to know if I can finish the race on hards. Jeff certainly is not going to tell me. Why can't I see what the status of my tyres is when setting up a strategy. It just doesn't make sense to me why we are left in the dark so much when it comes to tyres.
  • The unbelievable amount of grip the AI has when it starts to rain hard very fast. The other day I was racing in Canada on 50%. It went from dry to absolutely undrivable in one lap. I was on fresh softs while the AI was on old hards. They drove like nothing happened. Their times went down, but the sense of control they had didn't go. Meanwhile I'm sliding around the place like I'm on ice. Went from 1st to 6th because in the last lap.
  • Coming back to this point: there should be more going on in a race between the AI. The well known bot train is a big issue when driving 50% and even 100% races. Why don't they crash in turn one every now and then? In real life, a lot of races are boring but not all of them. Crashes happen, big ones. Little touches that causes cars to lose time so they change their front wing. In my career, this rarely happens. It happens to me, but not to the AI at least.
  • The strange things that happen to the AI lap times when a session is fast forwarded.
  • The fact that I always end up in the back when simulating a race even though I have the fastest car of the grid.
  • Wrong curbs and track elements on some tracks. I know it can't all be fixed in one year. At least Codemasters have shown they're willing to invest time in this. I just hope they proceed doing this so we will get better representations of real life tracks in the future.
  • Getting disqualified for driving the wrong direction when I have spun 180 degrees and have to turn around in the grass or gravel. 
  • The whole career part of career mode. The story of Devon Butler and Lukas Weber isn't interesting or immersive. I just became world champion and all you do is ask me about my rivalry with Butler who is 8 places down on the standings. I am world Champion and still I just get half a bar from teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari (who had the worst car on the grid by the time I won the championship). I do want it to be more challenging to get from the bottom to the top. But come on, a world champion should be wanted. I hope My Team mode changes this for the better.
  • Why isn't the speed trap shown in the data, only in the TV feed where you can see the speed trap of those who are out on track on the moment. I want to be able to see my own speed and compare this with other drivers.
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 7

Posted (edited)

No telemetry - that is 95% of F1.

Edited by dwin20
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Trying to look at the Weekly Event Leaderboard without it disappearing. Once you get to 100, it says downloading content. Then all the names and times disappear. You have to scroll down until the names magically appear, by then you're 30 or 40 names past where you left off, you then have to scroll back up to where you left off only to start scrolling down through the names to have them all disappear again. This is probably the dumbest problem a game can have. This happens on PS4. Not sure about other platforms.

Inconsistent grip. F1 2019 career mode - the game has a habit of turning off grip entirely once the tires are at 20%.

Inconsistent and unrealistic lock-ups. Certain corners cause the car to lock-up no matter what. Lock-ups sometimes happen when you release the brake - rather than applying it. 

The AI wet tire pit strats are a joke. 

The AI are underpowered at Austria and Russia.

AI acting stupid when the blue flag is shown. Look at how this Ferrari almost ended my 100%/no flashback race on lap 47 of 58. You just never know what the AI is going to do when you approach them.

• Agree 1

For me is the blue flag, I (with Williams) always lapped in almost all races. So, the blue flag is shown too early when the fast car are about 2 or more seconds behind me and I'm in the battle for 17th position need to lift and never more catch car ahead.

Inconsistent FFB with my T300 RS since 2018 game, the wheel works perfectly with all other games

FFB and track design being distinctly inferior to other games that i play, it's tough to come from those games and get enthralled with F1 20xx