Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

In your opinion, what is the worst problem in the F1 game series?

When you think of the F1 game series, what is the first problem that comes to your mind? If you could fix a single problem in the game, what would it be?

For me, the problem that bothers me most about the F1 series is that multiplayer players don't accept being overtakes. It doesn't matter if I play in Ranked or Unranked, the players' behavior is the same: they don't like to be overtaken. Some throw the car over mine, and I miss the race. This is quite frustrating. And honestly, I don't know how to fix this, because it depends on the players' behavior and mentality, not the system.

This is why I don’t race against humans. It will never change, a large slice of the player population will always act like this. In single player the ai is already superior to race against than many human players In multiplayer and the ai will keep improving, unfortunately a sizeable portion of the player base never will. We will still be talking about bad behaviour by others in 10 years time. 

• Agree 4

I think it was Black Sabbath who said, and I quote, "The Human race will never learn" from song "Back to Eden". Another reason maybe to have a ghosted multiplayer session! 

• Agree 1

damage physics or physics in general.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Nick.Rufino said:

When you think of the F1 game series, what is the first problem that comes to your mind? If you could fix a single problem in the game, what would it be?

For me, the problem that bothers me most about the F1 series is that multiplayer players don't accept being overtakes. It doesn't matter if I play in Ranked or Unranked, the players' behavior is the same: they don't like to be overtaken. Some throw the car over mine, and I miss the race. This is quite frustrating. And honestly, I don't know how to fix this, because it depends on the players' behavior and mentality, not the system.

Race in a league. It's so much cleaner. Yes there's still bad apples but stewarding helps a lot.

Updated kerbs (especially Spa) including the white ones on the side and sausage kerbs. Either that or manual boxing and better boxing animations.

• Haha 1

Lack of grip. Too slippery. Not realistic for real F1 cars. F1 2019 is my first F1 experience and after using the Lotus 125 stage 1 in Assetto Corsa on the Nordschleife, I can say the grip in Assetto corsa is how it should be. Handling is on point and you don't get that drifting sensation in corners. It's a friggin F1 car lol, we can see the tires. They don't act like that in real life. They grip.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Wet-dry and AI Pit strategy. Yeah that’s two but linked some what. The drying time is too quick and you cannot make a strategy when it rains. It’s very rigid when you pit for wets and back to drys. You cannot  make a gamble for a couple of laps and gain a lot of time. 

Edited by tarrantino
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, tarrantino said:

Wet-dry and AI Pit strategy. Yeah that’s two but linked some what. The drying time is too quick and you cannot make a strategy when it rains. It’s very rigid when you put for wets and back to drys. You cannot make a gamble for a couple of laps and gain a lot of time. 

Agreed, it isn't realistic at all but i wouldn't say it's the worst thing about the game. I think the worst thing is that there's a lot of bugs in multiplayer, especially with the safety car. 

Wet start of the race (1-3 laps), every1 starting at dry tyres, for few laps you strugle to move, while AI drives like there is no water on track at all.
How long it takes for controller to make an appropriate turn at monaco harpin, example 2018 Leclerc hot lap turn in at 29mph(46km/h) at controller it would send you in to the wall if you move analog to the left as fast as posible, sorry but in my mind an f1 car at less than 50km/h shouldn't have a problem with turning. 
And for some reason in 2019 no matter how much of throttle you add mid corner it will undertstear, cause it's natural that you want to straighten the corrner while increasing speed, (that's what the game does for you, even if you try to compensate and move the analog further).

2 hours ago, Mike5500 said:

Lack of grip. Too slippery. Not realistic for real F1 cars. F1 2019 is my first F1 experience and after using the Lotus 125 stage 1 in Assetto Corsa on the Nordschleife, I can say the grip in Assetto corsa is how it should be. Handling is on point and you don't get that drifting sensation in corners. It's a friggin F1 car lol, we can see the tires. They don't act like that in real life. They grip.

Just asking, how can you say that? The reason I almost never argue about physics is that I have nothing to base it on. Just saying "look at onboards" for example just doesn't really help as the people driving are pros that have thousands of hours of experience in such machines and such.

The amount of stability that the F1 games' cars have is absolutely unbelievable. Spinning is almost impossible if someone doesn't take you out... in which case you can still probably avoid the wall no problem.

Like in the last Codemasters Forum Championship race. I went straight through Ascari on the grass and survived just fine. In basically any other game I'd probably be in the wall 😁 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, diegogelo said:

Agreed, it isn't realistic at all but i wouldn't say it's the worst thing about the game. I think the worst thing is that there's a lot of bugs in multiplayer, especially with the safety car. 

I don’t play multiplayer. I don’t have the ability to lock in specific time or day to play. So my perspective is offline

14 hours ago, Nick.Rufino said:

The unbalanced AI and simulated times

AI doesn't make mistakes, no crash, nothing. You don't get any mechanical failures, while AI does. Too much Rain in career mode. About the multiplayer players, I found recently group of guys from my country and it's perfect. We got full grid, nice and clean racing as it should be.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, MrCosta96 said:

Race in a league. It's so much cleaner. Yes there's still bad apples but stewarding helps a lot.

Great, except there are no leagues that run at the times I am free to play, and even if there were, I don't particularly want to make that sort of commitment for what's just supposed to be a bit of casual fun.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scottishwildcat said:

Great, except there are no leagues that run at the times I am free to play, and even if there were, I don't particularly want to make that sort of commitment for what's just supposed to be a bit of casual fun.

Well unfortunately that is your problem, not really the game's fault. I always try to play with league racers as much as possible because the racing is way cleaner and waaaaaay more enjoyable.
In ranked and unranked lobbies it's impossible to race, people brake way too soon, brake for corners that don't need to do it (130R for example), divebomb every corner and give you no space.

If you just want a bit of "fun", the random lobbies should be ok. But if you actually want clean racing, it's not possible.

Edited by MrCosta96

AI and penalty system certainly have room for improvement.

For ranked games, Codemasters should provide dedicated servers. What are those "online services", that the game is permanently connecting to, anyway?!?!?! As far as I'm concerned, this game only has a lack of online services. Ranked games could also use a server browser so you can see which games are available before trying to reconnect to the ranked mode several times to find a game that doesn't let you wait for the race for 10 minutes or so. Players want to play, not wait. 😉

Multiplayer in general: Text-chat, possibility to vote-kick players that don't connect to a game or auto-kick them after a reasonable amount of time (20 seconds?) (because the game then only makes all the other players, who have already connected, wait forever/until ALT+F4)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Nick.Rufino said:

I would invite you to heave a look at our league races sometimes. (a lot of which can be found here https://www.youtube.com/user/1aml337/videos

if you play against people you know it's a ton of fun. way better than the bot train. 

Just don't play against randoms.. I don't think the problem is worse in this game than any other but seeing as it's so easy for someone to spoil your fun.. driving against people you respect (and in the knowledge that when they **** up there are stewards who will penalize them accordingly) is the only way to play this game 'actually' ai is good for practice and testing purposes...

It's a bit of a problem though with codemasters catering so much to the casuals... most people who would take online racing seriously go play acc or iracing, so you're left with a relatively bigger share of crashlords online

Edited by Bicarda

The rear wing LEDs not working correctly on F1 cars. Never fixed in 2019 and doesn't look like it has been in 2020 either from early videos I have seen. Only a minor issue but it bugs me so much as it doesn't match real life. 

Ai behaviour, the aformentioned “bot train”.  The ai should use different strategies, make mistakes, crash, etc. Instead of that one mandatory dnf every single race. Mix it up a little, 

@Nick.RufinoI would also recommend racing in a league. I’m in a league with some people I know offline. You’ll enjoy the game much more without the aggravation.  I gave up on playing with randoms a long time ago. 

I tried to play in a league once. After waiting a few hours to start the first race, the other players did not enter the lobby to play.

I played a league race alone. Just me and the bots. It was frustrating.

Posted (edited)

Just a thought: random players think they are playing Mario Kart. lol

Edited by Nick.Rufino

10 hours ago, Mike5500 said:

The cars "slip" all over the place IRL, the drivers and commentator s constantly refer to this. Tbh Martin Brindle must have it in his contract to say about cars slipping across the surface, weight of fuel and different types of tyre because he comments on all 3 every race.

For me personally it's AI/AI strategy, it's always getting better but as I play solo 95% of the time it's probably the most important part. After that contact/damage physics, especially AI on AI.

No varied strategies by the AI, it's almost always the same. Start on soft, then end on medium-hard.

Also the AI getting in your way when you're on a flying lap in qualy. I can't remember how many times they've ruined my lap because they just don't move from the racing line when they're supposed to. I'm behind them really close on a straight and they are on a warm-up or cooldown lap. Instead of slowing down on the straight and letting me go, nope. They try to move away in the middle of the corner and they ruin my lap because I had to avoid them.

• Agree 2