Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

F1 2011 PC periodically freezing during a race

So yeah just like the title says I'm running laps with no issue and then all of the sudden the game will freeze for around 5-10 seconds and come back. This tends to result in difficulty recovering the car after the game comes back. I'm sure there's not a huge amount of interest in this game at this point but I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on? I've got an i72700k with an Nvidia GTX 970 and that should be more than enough horsepower for the game. Color me confused. Poor optimization? Issues with modern hardware?

Posted (edited)

Maybe start by turning off the replay feature, because that creates these huge files on your hdd during gameplay, but it's not really something necessary. Also, if you could quickly switch to the task manager (performance tab) after these freezes, you might see which component spikes, causing the freeze. I've played a race of F1 2011 a few weeks ago before deciding to buy F1 2019 and didn't notice any performance issues.

Edited by EyTschej

16 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

So yeah just like the title says I'm running laps with no issue and then all of the sudden the game will freeze for around 5-10 seconds and come back. This tends to result in difficulty recovering the car after the game comes back. I'm sure there's not a huge amount of interest in this game at this point but I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on? I've got an i72700k with an Nvidia GTX 970 and that should be more than enough horsepower for the game. Color me confused. Poor optimization? Issues with modern hardware?

Nvidia spaghetti probably. Or at least, you answered your own question.

8 hours ago, EyTschej said:

Maybe start by turning off the replay feature, because that creates these huge files on your hdd during gameplay, but it's not really something necessary. Also, if you could quickly switch to the task manager (performance tab) after these freezes, you might see which component spikes, causing the freeze. I've played a race of F1 2011 a few weeks ago before deciding to buy F1 2019 and didn't notice any performance issues.

Isn't the replay system attached to flashbacks? (I kind of need those if it's not the cause of the freezing.) If it's a separate thing that is writing the entire race to HDD then it might make some sense that it could be bottlenecking.

Yes, I believe it is attached to flashbacks in F1 2011. It's just a thought that you might deactivate it and see if you still encounter the same issues or not. Trial and error, y'know? 😉