Jump to content
Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Low GPU usage on track

Recommended Posts

Hello guys.

I have encountered a major problem. When I am in the pause menu or main menu, my GPU usage of my GTX 1070 is at normal 100 percent. But when I try to start racing in any mode, I only have around 30 percent usage as soon as a hit the track or when I am at the garage. When I hit pause, the usage goes down again to like 20 to 30 percent. I already reinstalled various nvidia drivers and even the game itself but nothing seems to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarnexDE said:

my GTX 1070 is at normal 100 percent

That's not normal. That's just wrong...

Unless your GPU is too weak for this game, you shouldn't get anywhere near 100%. I've only had a look at my GPU's usage data when I first played this game and made sure that I don't have any unnecessary graphic options activated that would cause unnecessary GPU usage. Most of games seems to run with about 20-30% GPU usage (RX 5700 XT), cooler and energy usage at sensible levels. Game runs smoothly, except for some random micro-stuttering, for example when I get to the finish line at time trial and mark a new PB. But that's not GPU-related.

Basically, if you have no performance issues and your GPU operates at about 30%, you're perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. It is normal for a GPU to be at high performance levels when playing a game and it is definitly not normal that the system just uses 30 percent of the GPUs power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MarnexDE said:

Hello guys.

I have encountered a major problem. When I am in the pause menu or main menu, my GPU usage of my GTX 1070 is at normal 100 percent. But when I try to start racing in any mode, I only have around 30 percent usage as soon as a hit the track or when I am at the garage. When I hit pause, the usage goes down again to like 20 to 30 percent. I already reinstalled various nvidia drivers and even the game itself but nothing seems to help.

Turn the game fidelity settings up. Run [ULTRA HIGH].

But it does beg the question, what CPU is it paired with? Which begat the request for a dxdiag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarnexDE said:

Paired with an i7 7700k

Then you should have no issues running the game in Ultra High preset. Use the recommended Nvidia releases at the top of the forum.

Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml before launching the game.

Use DDU if a simple reinstall or upgrade does not have the desired effect.

Post a dxdiag ONLY IF those steps do NOT work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2020 at 2:03 AM, MarnexDE said:

Hello guys.

I have encountered a major problem. When I am in the pause menu or main menu, my GPU usage of my GTX 1070 is at normal 100 percent. But when I try to start racing in any mode, I only have around 30 percent usage as soon as a hit the track or when I am at the garage. When I hit pause, the usage goes down again to like 20 to 30 percent. I already reinstalled various nvidia drivers and even the game itself but nothing seems to help.

I have exactly the same problem !! In benchmark mode I have 150FPS at 90% GPU load when all is good. When something fails suddenly I've 70FPS at 30% GPU load and then also 3sec. freezes in game when im on track (in specmode its always OK). Using an ASUS GTX1080Ti ROG Strix. I spend several days for a solution....nothing helps till now.  CPU = i8700K

Edited by ThaZ900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ThaZ900 said:

I have exactly the same problem !! In benchmark mode I have 150FPS at 90% GPU load when all is good. When something fails suddenly I've 70FPS at 30% GPU load and then also 3sec. freezes in game when im on track (in specmode its always OK). Using an ASUS GTX1080Ti ROG Strix. I spend several days for a solution....nothing helps till now.  CPU = i8700K

Can you also take the above steps and post a dxdiag please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

hardware_settings_config.xml

Where is this file located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also going to recommend what I am calling the "RDR2 fix" in that capping framerates or using V-SYNC is helpful, but these must be matched against your monitor's capability and the in-game preset you use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarnexDE said:

Where is this file located?

The location is mentioned in the pinned troubleshooting tips thread, but

C:\Users\<Your username>\Documents\My Games\F1 2019\hardware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml before launching the game.

Use DDU if a simple reinstall or upgrade does not have the desired effect.

 

I did this, and after windows rebooted the Nivia V432.00 installs itselves. And now the weird thing....no more issues. OK it was 1 race online but it seems good till now !!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ThaZ900 said:

I did this, and after windows rebooted the Nivia V432.00 installs itselves. And now the weird thing....no more issues. OK it was 1 race online but it seems good till now !!

You should use a more up to date driver actually. The Windows inbox drivers may be overwritten unexpectedly. And the DDU process explicitly asks you to disconnect from the internet! There is a checkbox in the settings to prompt you for Safe Mode as well.

445.98 is the latest hotfix (based on the 445.87 GRD) but it does fix F1 2019.

I am glad you got sorted but please follow my recommendation.

Edited by steviejay69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

You should use a more up to date driver actually. The Windows inbox drivers may be overwritten unexpectedly. And the DDU process explicitly asks you to disconnect from the internet! There is a checkbox in the settings to prompt you for Safe Mode as well.

445.98 is the latest hotfix (based on the 445.87 GRD) but it does fix F1 2019.

I am glad you got sorted but please follow my recommendation.

Yes i understand, but if the V432.00 version keeps working well (must check it in other games) then i stay with this one....i hope you understand 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThaZ900 said:

Yes i understand, but if the V432.00 version keeps working well (must check it in other games) then i stay with this one....i hope you understand 😉

 

It's up to you, but I can assure you the 445.98 driver is working well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

It's up to you, but I can assure you the 445.98 driver is working well.

I tried these, not working for me, i must admit i didnt the DDU uninstall in SAFE mode, but i never do use DDU after an Nvidia driver update.

I'm scared to change from V432.00 to another...still working good here ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThaZ900 said:

I tried these, not working for me, i must admit i didnt the DDU uninstall in SAFE mode, but i never do use DDU after an Nvidia driver update.

I'm scared to change from V432.00 to another...still working good here ! 

old drivers do also work for me but this only lasts circa 3 days and then it changes randomly back to the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, ThaZ900 said:

I tried these, not working for me, i must admit i didnt the DDU uninstall in SAFE mode, but i never do use DDU after an Nvidia driver update.

I'm scared to change from V432.00 to another...still working good here ! 

 

On 5/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, MarnexDE said:

The Version 445.98 is not working for me. 

Even the Nvidia release notes say the F1 2019 CTD is fixed on 445.98. Other users have reported success here.

It must be something to do with the computer setup or the in-game settings.

Old drivers will be overwritten, that's why staying ahead of WU/Inbox is better - plus they aren't always full drivers, just basic 'do no harm' display drivers, not always fully D3D capable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 6:42 PM, MarnexDE said:

old drivers do also work for me but this only lasts circa 3 days and then it changes randomly back to the problem

After 1 day i did install Version 445.98 back and its still OK !

Did you use DDU insafe mode ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, EyTschej said:

That's not normal. That's just wrong...

Unless your GPU is too weak for this game, you shouldn't get anywhere near 100%. I've only had a look at my GPU's usage data when I first played this game and made sure that I don't have any unnecessary graphic options activated that would cause unnecessary GPU usage. Most of games seems to run with about 20-30% GPU usage (RX 5700 XT), cooler and energy usage at sensible levels. Game runs smoothly, except for some random micro-stuttering, for example when I get to the finish line at time trial and mark a new PB. But that's not GPU-related.

Basically, if you have no performance issues and your GPU operates at about 30%, you're perfectly fine.

Hmm if you have vsync disabled then having 98% GPU usage is normal. If you get anything less you either have an fps cap (such as vsync) or your CPU is limiting your performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It fixed it for me paired with a RAm upgrade to 16 gigabytes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×