Jump to content Jump to content

Problems with Direct Input Devices

TroyDalton

I realize that Dirt Rally only supports a few brands of wheels, but can you PLEASE provide the rest of us with the ability to adjust the dead zone and saturation of our direct input devices! Yes, it is possible to edit an existing file and jury rig it to work, but it's a real PITA and worst of all, once you edit a file, you can no longer save your career progress. 

I own an ECCI 6000 and it works perfectly fine in all other driving sims and has for nearly a decade. However, Dirt Rally is another story and without proper working controls, it matters very little how many modes, stages, and cars you provide, because without proper working controls, as far as I'm concerned, it's hard broke. 

Yeah I have a similar problem in that my wheel has a huge deadzone then once the wheel hits a certain number of degrees, bam car turns hard. Its like once you leave the deadzone of the steering wheel, the tires turn dramatically.
I waited to see if this might get fixed with the new patch...no.  :(

Honestly, unless you own a particular brand/model of controller, it's virtually impossible to drive. I can't believe in the year 2015 a game developer has such a poor handle on accommodating wheels/pedals. It's appalling really, because Codemasters is literally the only developers who simply doesn't get it. 

In all the years that I have been sim racing, I have NEVER had a single problem connecting any wheels/pedals to any other game and I've played every single one of them. Hell, last night I purchased Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it recognized my ECCI 6000, my TSW Speedshifter, and my DSD button box automatically. It simply just worked and I could configure each device!

Dirt Rally doesn't recognize any of these devices properly nor does it allow you to configure them...seriously...how hard can it be!?!

I think Dirt Rally has a tremendous amount of potential and I'm rooting for Codemasters to knock this one out of the park, but until they get a clue and correct these simple controller issues, they'll never be taken seriously.  :/

Same problem here...
I'm torn between keep driving with these messed up settings or editing the xml files on my own and losing all the future progress.
It's a shame because i can even set up my wheel in warthunder which is a freaking WW2 warplane game...

I've tried everything, different drivers, windows settings nothing happens. (Logitech Formula Vibration feedback wheel)
Another problem is that i can't save the control bindings. I need to set up all buttons at every new start of the game. I mean come on, i only want to save some keys.
I personally don't care about all the fancy new cars/tracks because i can't drive one stage properly.
Please, if you're busy and don't have the free time to fix this, make a tutorial how to set up xml files on our own, allow us to set them up on our own WITH the ability to save our progress and make a "how to save the keybindings in the game files".
It's the same for me using a OSW wheel. I just cannot configure my wheel properly in the game (ffb settings, etc.) since its recognized as a Direct input device. 
I understand that a developer needs a set of tested hardware for support reasons.
But I suggest to add a custom section in the settings where you can configure your unofficial hardware. 
MrTeeny said:
But I suggest to add a custom section in the settings where you can configure your unofficial hardware. 
That's all i wish. Nobody needs some tested presets, the ability to adjust things on your own is by far enough.
I guess modifying the xml files is detected by some anti cheater/copy software which blocks the saving option ingame. Because in the internet there is a tutorial which shows how to set up unsupported wheels. I tried it and it works actually pretty good, except this saving issue.
Exactly, got an Accuforce wheel and this problem is forcing me to give up on this title for now at least. I know it's in early access stage but I fear this feature will never be implemented :neutral: 
The game is really promising and I can't wait to be able to use the game FFB and my H shifter and clutch!
trasholi said:
Exactly, got an Accuforce wheel and this problem is forcing me to give up on this title for now...
I as well and I have no intention of purchasing a compatible wheel, just for Dirt Rally. If codemasters wants to be taken seriously and Dirt Rally is intended to be a serious simulation and not some simcade junk, then they MUST address this issue. There are far too many other amazing PC simulation racing games out there that compete for my attention and they ALL work with my ECCI, TSW Speedshifter, and DSD button box. Why codemasters has chosen this path is beyond comprehension, but if it isn't corrected, then I'm out...and I imagine a significant number of other people will be as well. 
I got an answer from Paul Coleman regarding the video saying:
" Thanks for doing this. We are aware of the issue and we are looking into ways in which we can fix this :) "

I think that this issue should be pretty high on the to-do list. Atleast much higher than adding more wheels to current support list because you shouldn't need any special support for specific wheel/controller. At the moment the lack of the custom profile makes a lot of people not to be able to play at all.
Yep I haven't played the game since the first day I downloaded, controller options are a mess. It's very console like in how limiting it is to what controls can be used. I never came across such a weird system on PC before.
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat with an ECCI.  I'd love to spend more time with the game, but my choices are a wheel that has a massive dead zone, or my 360 controller which really doesn't work well for the precise control needed in the game.
My problem with DFGT is that it doesn't save the button assignments - FFB values/rotation levels/ soft lock and all is saved - but for button assignment I have to load the DFGT preset (to re-assign) every time again...there's a trick or simply a bug (to be fixed soon) ?

Honestly, unless you own a particular brand/model of controller, it's virtually impossible to drive. I can't believe in the year 2015 a game developer has such a poor handle on accommodating wheels/pedals. It's appalling really, because Codemasters is literally the only developers who simply doesn't get it. 

In all the years that I have been sim racing, I have NEVER had a single problem connecting any wheels/pedals to any other game and I've played every single one of them. Hell, last night I purchased Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it recognized my ECCI 6000, my TSW Speedshifter, and my DSD button box automatically. It simply just worked and I could configure each device!

Dirt Rally doesn't recognize any of these devices properly nor does it allow you to configure them...seriously...how hard can it be!?!

I think Dirt Rally has a tremendous amount of potential and I'm rooting for Codemasters to knock this one out of the park, but until they get a clue and correct these simple controller issues, they'll never be taken seriously.  :/

Early Access Alpha? I get that it's a problem, but people need to lighten up. I can't get my clutch on my Fanatec elite pedals to register, when it works fine in DiRT 3.
trasholi said:
Exactly, got an Accuforce wheel and this problem is forcing me to give up on this title for now...
I as well and I have no intention of purchasing a compatible wheel, just for Dirt Rally. If codemasters wants to be taken seriously and Dirt Rally is intended to be a serious simulation and not some simcade junk, then they MUST address this issue. There are far too many other amazing PC simulation racing games out there that compete for my attention and they ALL work with my ECCI, TSW Speedshifter, and DSD button box. Why codemasters has chosen this path is beyond comprehension, but if it isn't corrected, then I'm out...and I imagine a significant number of other people will be as well. 
Why would wheel support that doesn't work with your specific wheel cause the game to be simcade junk?
JZStudios said:
trasholi said:
Why would wheel support that doesn't work with your specific wheel cause the game to be simcade junk?

JZStudios said:
trasholi said:
Developers of serious modern driving simulations, like ISI (rFactor), Kunos (Assetti Corsa), and iRacing do not require users to fit into a specific "consol'esc" box. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single serious racing simulation that has ever limited controller support. 

Now, as someone who has driven virtually every major pc offering, beginning with Geoff Crammond's REV's, Dirt Rally appears to have the potential to be the first Codemasters offering to break the so called "simcade" mold and be taken as seriously as the aforementioned simulations.

However, limiting controller support to a handful of manufacturers/models is narrow-minded and it smacks of a console mentality, where everyone is expected to conform to the same specific hardware requirements. 

My wheel isn't unique or specific, it just isn't supported, because Codemasters has hamstrung controller support through a purposeless and seemingly draconian set of requirements, that in my opinion, is reminiscent of a console "simcade" type of mentality. 

The bottom line is, Codemasters developers are apparently more interested in providing support to Xbox controllers, plastic toys, and keyboards. Until there is a more open architecture, that supports ALL controller possibilities, I will continue to have a less than enthusiastic opinion. However, if you think my use of the phrase simcade is inappropriate, then please feel free to substitute it with any number of other derogatory terms/phrases; like sub-standard, second rate, bush league, amateurish,  etc...

Cheers

JZStudios said:

Early Access Alpha? I get that it's a problem, but people need to lighten up. I can't get my clutch on my Fanatec elite pedals to register, when it works fine in DiRT 3.
I don't expect you to empathize with those of us who paid money for an unusable game, but a non working clutch seems like a minor annoyance, when compared with a game that is hard broke for those who do not own one of the few supported controllers. 

Even though it is an Early Access Alpha, it never occurred to me that a modern pc game would limit controller support to just a unique few...lesson learned. Will they correct it...who knows...it's not something I really worry about. It's just a game and I have other outlets for my entertainment, I just wish I'd paid closer attention, before wasting my money.
Developers of serious modern driving simulations, like ISI (rFactor), Kunos (Assetti Corsa), and iRacing do not require users to fit into a specific "consol'esc" box. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single serious racing simulation that has ever limited controller support. 

Now, as someone who has driven virtually every major pc offering, beginning with Geoff Crammond's REV's, Dirt Rally appears to have the potential to be the first Codemasters offering to break the so called "simcade" mold and be taken as seriously as the aforementioned simulations.

However, limiting controller support to a handful of manufacturers/models is narrow-minded and it smacks of a console mentality, where everyone is expected to conform to the same specific hardware requirements. 

My wheel isn't unique or specific, it just isn't supported, because Codemasters has hamstrung controller support through a purposeless and seemingly draconian set of requirements, that in my opinion, is reminiscent of a console "simcade" type of mentality. 

The bottom line is, Codemasters developers are apparently more interested in providing support to Xbox controllers, plastic toys, and keyboards. Until there is a more open architecture, that supports ALL controller possibilities, I will continue to have a less than enthusiastic opinion. However, if you think my use of the phrase simcade is inappropriate, then please feel free to substitute it with any number of other derogatory terms/phrases; like sub-standard, second rate, bush league, amateurish,  etc...

Cheers
1, It would be 'consolesque', it's a French suffix.

2, , There is a thread in Technical Assistance, asking what wheels people use so Codemasters can add them to the support list.

"What we plan on doing is working our way down the list as we continue through early access so that in theory we'll have pretty much everything covered by the end. There might be the odd occasion where we end up adding something further down the list if it turns out to be not much work after adding another wheel. It's possible some of the harder to get hold of wheels such as the Accuforce might take a little longer as we'll need to talk to the manufacturer. I also can't promise we'll tick every single one of these off the list but I can promise we'll do our best to.

Don't feel disheartened if your wheel happens to be in the bottom section either, you guys who have posted in this thread make up a small section of our player base, when we scale that up to how many players we do have it's still worth us looking at so please don't think we'll just brush those off. We want as many people to be able to enjoy DiRT as possible"

3, You can't miss it, it's a sticky.

4, Only 1 person has listed the ECCI 6000.

5, It wasn't you.

So why wasn't coming over here to complain about the lack of wheel support just as redundant as adding your voice to the other dude who is using your wheels request for support?
For several reasons. Steam's forum's are horrible and it's virtually impossible to sift through the mishmash of posts, much less carry on a reasonable discussion of game related issues. Since this is the Codemasters technical assist forum, this seemed like the logical place to lodge a complaint in hopes of getting the ear of the developers. It is important that developers understand that there are customers who have deal breaking issues, meaning, the game is unplayable in it's current state. I also think it is important to add your complaint to others, because that is the only way developers will ever know if there is a widespread issue.  

Mostly, I posted here because I'm a paying customer who purchased a product that doesn't work. I wasn't real happy about that and I was hoping to get the problem resolved sooner than later. As the saying goes, "Squeaky wheel gets the oil."

So, I posted a complaint...which I now regret, because I'm having to defend it to an angry moderator who has apparently decided to make me his/her pet project. Anyway, I'm sure you would like nothing better than for me to go away and I am happy to oblige. It simply makes more sense to just drop the issue and seek a refund through Steam. 

Cheers

lol I'm not the one throwing his toys out the pram. I'm the one who responded to one of your posts in the same tone as you responded to someone else.

The questions are serious questions, I asked them to see if you could explain the logic behind complaining about the lack of support for your wheel, yet not posting your wheel in the Wheel Support thread to increase the chances of getting the support you want.

You obviously know that you're in the right place you want to be to get what you want, you just chose to go about it the wrong way. Make as many posts as you want complaining about the lack of support for your wheel and insulting Codies while doing it. But it won't get your wheel support any faster. It might even have the opposite effect, would you want to spend time fixing something for someone who spends all their time insulting you? Especially when it's so low on the list of wheels people actually use? Ever heard of the saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"?

Archived