Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

USA - Circuit Of The Americas

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who ranks USA as their least favorite track? I'm forcing myself to do the Weekly Event. Definitely not looking forward to most likely getting track warnings and or a time penalty. It has no flow to It. Not to mention it's extra slick with the Classic cars. Anybody else in the same boat? Almost forgot to mention that second last turn, you know.... the blind one 😒

Edited by Mike5500
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I wasn’t a fan until this lockdown started. I started a championship season Carlos Sainz. I was doing full practice full qualifying and 100% race so when I got to the US race I was getting into a good rhythm after first practice. I qualified 5th and finished 6th. The first corner is a real nightmare figuring out where to break but after that I really liked it. After figuring out where to break for first corner I was 1/2 tenths fastest then anybody through first sector.

7 hours ago, Mike5500 said:

It has no flow to It.

Exactly! That "snake" section after the first two easy turns (I don't think that turn 1 is difficult at all) always kills me and the rest of the course is also not much fun to race. I wouldn't say USA is my least favourite track though, since I have several tracks that I don't seem to understand. The only thing I can say is that I've improved on most tracks after I went there in my (currently first) career. Only have had this game since early April, should mention that. So maybe, I'll also get better in the US once I get there in my career. I'm currently in Spa and while I always had serious trouble in the first uphill section in multiplayer races, I now seem to understand this uphill section considerably better after P1 and P2.

If only it had some gravel traps and grass it could be one of the best tracks in my opinion, but with the huge amount of run-off it removes all the feeling of risk/reward or driving on the edge. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

One of the reasons that most don't appreciate this circuit, (and I notice also the same reaction in Forza Motorsport multiplayer lobbies where once the circuit is featured, most drop off) is that it's of a technical nature, as are most of the American racing circuits. The word technical really means "problem-solving" where you have a set of tools at your disposal that can be applied to solve a particular problem.  Circuit of the Americas is a very technical F1 circuit because it is American. (If you play Forza Motorsport and race the likes of VIR, Laguna Sega, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock and Sonoma Raceway, you get the gist of what I'm saying). It is fast flowing, as in the first corner that directs you up-hill with an amazing blind left-hander into the start of the S's. And this first corner is just the the beginning of this awesome Tilke creation.  What drivers need to appreciate this masterpiece of a circuit, is to reach deep down into their toolkit and devise way to problem solve this master race track.  Only when you do that can you come to appreciate this very amazing circuit they say incorporates a piece of each of the major F1 circuits.  Technical circuits require technical skills to overcome it, so solve it drivers! COTA rules! 

Edited by FOneFanatic
  • Like 2

For me, it is in top tracks in current F1 calendar. First corner is not that hard to do, but it is hell to master it. Uphill right turn at the end of S1 is slow, but nice to when you manage to take it with high speed. Then my by far the worst turn for me (Seb's spin, 2nd turn after long straight), that and next left turn you need to be careful as you can lose and gain a lot of time. After that the best part taken from Istanbul track and added that blind left turn which is great joy when you nail it.

@EyTschej I think it was same for me, until first career race in Austin I wasn't a fan. But after whole P/Q/R weekend and when I understood what track asks from me I changed opinion completely. Hope you get the same 👍

Posted (edited)

It's one of my fastest, although I don't enjoy it as much as some tracks and it's by no means the worst. I don't particularly like the section between the long straight and the three turn right hander of turns 16 17 and 18. Turns 13 and 14 could be got rid of so we'd be left with a slightly longer straight into a wider right hander then into the three turn right hander.

Edited by WestHam66

3 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

One of the reasons that most don't appreciate this circuit, (and I notice also the same reaction in Forza Motorsport multiplayer lobbies where once the circuit is featured, most drop off) is that it's of a technical nature, as are most of the American racing circuits. The word technical really means "problem-solving" where you have a set of tools at your disposal that can be applied to solve a particular problem.  Circuit of the Americas is a very technical F1 circuit because it is American. (If you play Forza Motorsport and race the likes of VIR, Laguna Sega, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock and Sonoma Raceway, you get the gist of what I'm saying). It is fast flowing, as in the first corner that directs you up-hill with an amazing blind left-hander into the start of the S's. And this first corner is just the the beginning of this awesome Tilke creation.  What drivers need to appreciate this masterpiece of a circuit, is to reach deep down into their toolkit and devise way to problem solve this master race track.  Only when you do that can you come to appreciate this very amazing circuit they say incorporates a piece of each of the major F1 circuits.  Technical circuits require technical skills to overcome it, so solve it drivers! COTA rules! 

Spot on man! It's not just about acceleration and braking and turning its about BALANCE. Nailing the weight transfer so 2 corners ahead you can put the power on instead of being way out of position.

• Agree 2

Disagree, actually find this one of the best tracks! Actually find S3 the most difficult to get right.

19 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

Yep. Don't like watching it, don't like driving it.

You mean you didn't enjoy watching Kimi's race there in 2018? 😢😉

To me if I've nailed down a good tune for it, especially the switchback parts I love it. If the tune ain't right or my tires are worn it annoys me considerably. It's like I either have a good time or a bad time there, usually during the same race. Doesnt help that it's so long so when things are bad it takes a while to qualify.

I’m more in the persuasion of love watching races there but don’t like driving. 

COTA doesn't feel "original" to me. What I mean is that certain parts of the track are carbon copies of parts or turns of other tracks on the calendar. But I guess that's Mr Tilke's key ingredient when he sits down to design a track.

Posted (edited)

The infinite run off areas make this a characterless track, looking on the map S1 is suppoused to be awesome like Suzuka but when you drive it there are no references, no speed sensation so it falls short, way short.

But there are worst tracks...

Edited by LChaves01
  • Agree 1

Monaco, Hungary, Singapore are 3 that come straight to mind both in RL and game. Add Barca and Baku on the game (I just suck at those two unfortunately)

Not a huge fan as well, seems like they copied and pasted parts of Silverstone, Turkey and Bahrain and called it a day.

Anyone managed to actually play the race? It's been all NM14 for me so far. Why can't they make it so that there is a 5-minute-period for the matchmaking process? I don't want to wait another 59 minutes, the day has more to offer than the NM14 lottery...

On 5/26/2020 at 9:12 AM, FOneFanatic said:

Indeed.  It's not my favourite track, but it's starting to grow on me.  There are parts of the track that I used to really not like - the blind corners haunted me while the S's laughed at me.  And it didn't feel like there was much flow to it, despite having all the key components of a great race track.

But I was driving it all wrong.  I was trying to drive it like the tracks it resembles.  And because of that, MY flow was off, and my speed suffered and my enjoyment decreased because it was more frustration than anything else.

So I applied the various bits of race craft that I know to it.  The S's are like Suzuka - hit 'em right and you fly through, miss and you lose a lot of time.  The key was first to stop thinking of it like Suzuka, and to find the exact turning point and speed to start the first S in order to carry that speed through to the end.  I used to be down in 4th by the long right-hander that ends the S's.  By the time I got it right, I was in low 6th, dropping to 5th for the added turning.  You really can fly through there.

The same with the double-right-handers and hairpins to long straights.  There are keys to getting through these as fast as possible.

It's a technical track, to be sure.  But because it's so open, it doesn't appear that way at first.  It's a bit of a paradox in that respect.  When you attack the course with that in mind, you start to see how each part of the track links with the next.  And once you do, the track's flow starts to really emerge.

And when all the bits fit together, it stops being a copy/paste of other tracks and becomes a great race track in its own right.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, DrDraken said:

Indeed.  It's not my favourite track, but it's starting to grow on me.  There are parts of the track that I used to really not like - the blind corners haunted me while the S's laughed at me.  And it didn't feel like there was much flow to it, despite having all the key components of a great race track.

But I was driving it all wrong.  I was trying to drive it like the tracks it resembles.  And because of that, MY flow was off, and my speed suffered and my enjoyment decreased because it was more frustration than anything else.

So I applied the various bits of race craft that I know to it.  The S's are like Suzuka - hit 'em right and you fly through, miss and you lose a lot of time.  The key was first to stop thinking of it like Suzuka, and to find the exact turning point and speed to start the first S in order to carry that speed through to the end.  I used to be down in 4th by the long right-hander that ends the S's.  By the time I got it right, I was in low 6th, dropping to 5th for the added turning.  You really can fly through there.

The same with the double-right-handers and hairpins to long straights.  There are keys to getting through these as fast as possible.

It's a technical track, to be sure.  But because it's so open, it doesn't appear that way at first.  It's a bit of a paradox in that respect.  When you attack the course with that in mind, you start to see how each part of the track links with the next.  And once you do, the track's flow starts to really emerge.

And when all the bits fit together, it stops being a copy/paste of other tracks and becomes a great race track in its own right.

Absolutely! Every F1 track is unique in it's own right and each requires a different approach.  Adjust your approach and viola, you're seeing the track in a whole new light.  One way to learn a track is via time trials - an amazing learning tool in the game. 

I used to hate it, but its starting to grow on me. It's pretty fun with a fairly loose setup.

• Agree 1

It’s definitely a track that grew on me with time too. With a bad setup it can be frustrating but if you find the sweet spot and get the car to behave the way you want it will help to be more consistent and can be quite satisfying when it all comes together. Abu Dhabi has never been a very strong track for me but am currently fiddling around and trying to get a lot of practice time in and hoping it goes the same way as USA for me. 

5 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

It’s definitely a track that grew on me with time too. With a bad setup it can be frustrating but if you find the sweet spot and get the car to behave the way you want it will help to be more consistent and can be quite satisfying when it all comes together. Abu Dhabi has never been a very strong track for me but am currently fiddling around and trying to get a lot of practice time in and hoping it goes the same way as USA for me. 

Once you get the S's, and flick through them in 7th and 6th, you'll forever love COTA.  😛

• Agree 1

I played it quite a bit throughout the week and I don't hate it as much now but I'm glad the Weekly Event is over. I ended up 27th overall and I was expecting to do way worse. So easy to get warnings and time penalties there. I ended up with only one warning in the 14 lap race. It's a challenge to be fast and clean at COTA I learned. But I like a good challenge. Again though, happy it's over lol