Sign in to follow this  

Patch V 04.5 - The one with the Force Feedback

So you may have noticed a small patch for DiRT Rally release today and we are pleased to say that yes... this is the FFB update (otherwise known as v0.4.5).

This latest update has been built off the back of your feedback since launch; it will change how the game communicates to you through your wheel or pad and make everything feel much more intuitive. 

Alongside that we’ve also added a whole suite of advanced wheel options to help you fine tune your set up. You can read more info about what we’ve done here
We’re also pleased to say we’ve included a new batch of supported wheels. If your wheel isn’t on the list don’t worry, we are continuing to work our way down the list and we’ll be adding more as DiRT Rally’s Early Access continues.
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech Formula Force EX
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS F1 Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS
  • Thrustmaster TX 458
  • Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB
  • Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
  • Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
As ever thank you again for your support, we really hope you enjoy this latest update. Be sure to follow us on TwitterFacebook and Reddit for all the latest DiRTy Gossip.

Suddenly I got myself a strange cough. Think I need to go home sick. :)

okay i need a little help setting mg dfgt to similar as before pre patch.

i use 200 degrees normally. you could feel the bite of the wheel easily.

dgeesi0 said:

I would recommend you give it a go with a higher rotation ange - at least 540 degreees.

In the Logitech Profiler define the range to be 540 and all cars will work with range. If you go for 720degrees, then only the WRC cars will stick with 540 degrees.

It now makes much more sense to make use of the high rotation ranges as the wheel counter-steer is so sweet to feel out. It is much, much more authentic and engaging.

You could also stick with 200degrees in the Logitech Profiler, but you wouldn't get a chance to control the older cars in an authentic way.

Then again it comes down to preference and the will to put the effort in - I'm using 720 degrees as 900 is too much to handle for my wheel stand and my G27 is pretty worn out... ;]

Woohoo! Go Codemasters! My wheel added too! YAY! Let's give it a go shall we! :smiley: 

why was it not released last night? now I have full day of suffering and waiting... 

dgeesi0 said:

I would recommend you give it a go with a higher rotation ange - at least 540 degreees.

In the Logitech Profiler define the range to be 540 and all cars will work with range. If you go for 720degrees, then only the WRC cars will stick with 540 degrees.

It now makes much more sense to make use of the high rotation ranges as the wheel counter-steer is so sweet to feel out. It is much, much more authentic and engaging.

You could also stick with 200degrees in the Logitech Profiler, but you wouldn't get a chance to control the older cars in an authentic way.

Then again it comes down to preference and the will to put the effort in - I'm using 720 degrees as 900 is too much to handle for my wheel stand and my G27 is pretty worn out... ;]
why do i want to use a different degree ? i dont like vague light adjustments.i tried 540 its too vague and the car on counter is flicking back too much. its like im playing project cars. which isnt a good thing.

there must be a way to mirror old settings.the car is more twitchier than before. the times will be slower not faster.

dgeesi0 said:

why do i want to use a different degree ? i dont like vague light adjustments.i tried 540 its too vague and the car on counter is flicking back too much. its like im playing project cars. which isnt a good thing.

there must be a way to mirror old settings.the car is more twitchier than before. the times will be slower not faster.
If all you care about is stage times then by all means stick with very low wheel rotation range.
If you wanted to have a very realistic experience where you had to cross your arms or shuffle the wheel, while looking for the handbrake then it is my personal view that you won't get it unless you for 540 deg minimum.

The good thing about the way Codies have set it up is that you can really customise to your preferences.
You could go to Logitech Profiler, limit the wheel to something as low as 200deg, go back to the game and re-calibrate the wheel.
When you turn the wheel to full lock defined by Logitech Profiler and go against a hard stop, then the game will treat that as your max wheel lock.

In my view 540 is not too vague - it is just right and mimics real life steering systems.

Your now feeling the cars inertia through the wheel. Have a play with the Tyre Slip scale, this appears to be the Z axis like Zfx in Pcars... feedback does feel a lot like Pcars, which is no bad thing IMO... with a few settings tweaks, I hope to get it feeling more like Assetto Corsa :smile:  

Good work everyone involved, I'm loving the new FFB and already setting quicker times because of it :smiley:

dgeesi0 said:

If all you care about is stage times then by all means stick with very low wheel rotation range.
If you wanted to have a very realistic experience where you had to cross your arms or shuffle the wheel, while looking for the handbrake then it is my personal view that you won't get it unless you for 540 deg minimum.

The good thing about the way Codies have set it up is that you can really customise to your preferences.
You could go to Logitech Profiler, limit the wheel to something as low as 200deg, go back to the game and re-calibrate the wheel.
When you turn the wheel to full lock defined by Logitech Profiler and go against a hard stop, then the game will treat that as your max wheel lock.

In my view 540 is not too vague - it is just right and mimics real life steering systems.
I know what you mean, I've been playing with 200 degrees aswell, but the reason I did that is because I don't have a physical handbrake to the right of me (I'm using the Logitech Driving Force GT), so the only option is to link handbrake to one of the buttons on the steering wheel, which makes the use of it impossible if you engage the 540 degrees steering, I do agree that it feels way better to drive with 540 degrees, and I just tried it, it feels much more like a car (FFB is amazing btw) but I can't use the handbrake anymore, and it's crucial in rally to use it, so for the time being until I have a more permanent solution, I'll use 200 degrees steering, I'll practice with 540 degrees in custom rallies.

dgeesi0 said:
dgeesi0 said:

I'd suggest turning it up, try what @Rallycameraman suggested at 540 and do a few stages. If you're not happy try turning it down from there (400, 350, 270) and you'll find something you like.

no its just not that lee. the cars are twitching side to side on straights.you had this a little sometimes on monaco before patch now its zig zag in small movements. makes driving on straights a nightmare.

for me personally its ruined my game.i dont get why people cant use what they want. why cant people use the system that was before the patch ?

surely that makes common sense.

dgeesi0 said:
no its just not that lee. the cars are twitching side to side on straights.you had this a little sometimes on monaco before patch now its zig zag in small movements. makes driving on straights a nightmare.

for me personally its ruined my game.i dont get why people cant use what they want. why cant people use the system that was before the patch ?

Try switching soft lock off and set the self aligning torque to zero.

Spokster said:
dgeesi0 said:

I know what you mean, I've been playing with 200 degrees aswell, but the reason I did that is because I don't have a physical handbrake to the right of me (I'm using the Logitech Driving Force GT), so the only option is to link handbrake to one of the buttons on the steering wheel, which makes the use of it impossible if you engage the 540 degrees steering, I do agree that it feels way better to drive with 540 degrees, and I just tried it, it feels much more like a car (FFB is amazing btw) but I can't use the handbrake anymore, and it's crucial in rally to use it, so for the time being until I have a more permanent solution, I'll use 200 degrees steering, I'll practice with 540 degrees in custom rallies.
Unless  you have a spare flight stick knocking  about. I mapped my handbrake to my cheap flight sim stick and I works  a treat. So much better than a button + it's anolog. 

dgeesi0 said:

Sounds similar to a problem I had. Make sure the soft lock option is turned off as @Evilsmurf said. 

dgeesi0 said:

Play with the settings a bit more, before declaring the update a nightmare. This update brings a huge improvement in my view, and I suspect in the view of many others.

It is unfortunate that it's not plug'n'play for you, but there's a lot of customisation built into it so you should be able to achieve what you like.

You can use what you want and the game gives you tools to do so.
I'm sure as days go by players will be posting their settings so just hang tight :)

When testing over the weekend I've found that I'd like to have different settings for gravel and different for tarmac. I wonder if anyone else will be keen for FFB settings for each car. With so many variables it's difficult to achieve a perfect sweet spot, but the baseline settings are a huge improvement.

dgeesi0 said:

It was wrong before, this is how it should be.

Sounds like you've not got something set up correctly. Just try setting your rotation to 540 in windows then boot the game up and run the re-calibration. 

Then follow the on screen instructions.

1 – Turn the steering wheel to full lock in either direction, hold it there and press any button.

2 – Hold the steering wheel at 90 degrees in either direction, hold it there and press any button.

3 – Depress all your pedals as far as possible, then press any button.

Then run a few stages and come back and tell us if it is any better

okay with the adjustments that Evilsmurf suggested and a couple of other tweaks i got it nicely working.sorry if i was sounding like a dick its just i love the game so much and i love playing it. :p

i am using 200 degrees it feels so much better than 540.

good job cm, cant wait to try this soon.

Im not sure how you can rally drive with only 200deg lock?  Rallying lock its alwasy traditionally more than a racing track car isn't it? Especially in the older cars. I see theres 540 for the modern machines.

Is soft lock working for people?

works for me just done a 2nd in world time after few runs with the pug.i just like really quick movements . its not for all but it works for me.

dgeesi0 said:
okay with the adjustments that Evilsmurf suggested and a couple of other tweaks i got it nicely working.sorry if i was sounding like a dick its just i love the game so much and i love playing it. :p

i am using 200 degrees it feels so much better than 540.

It's your game to play how you like. Glad you got a setting you like, CM have built in a huge variety of options to try please all :) 

Oh my DG... didn't realise you were using 200 deg.. Not gonna lie, I am a little disappoint. Bit easier to set fast times when you can go from lock to lock in the blink of an eye. =\

As for the FFB..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s

Oh my DG... didn't realise you were using 200 deg.. Not gonna lie, I am a little disappoint. Bit easier to set fast times when you can go from lock to lock in the blink of an eye. =\

As for the FFB..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s

I guess it comes down to priorities - I treat the fight with classic cars in Greece as an evening work out :P But I do agree, that with 200deg range, going full luck is not much more that 90deg one way...

With the Youtube clip you posted - it made me chuckle so bad... Just Google 'Scottish Alladin' and you'll know why...

I mean yea, he just wants the fastest times, fair enough. But now I gotta set my wheel to 200 when I wanna kick his ass lol. Having a 900 degree wheel set to 200 is like buying a steinway grand piano and using it as a dinner table.

Actually I guess it's more like only playing twinkle twinkle little star on it.. im tired, analogies are hard.