Jump to content Jump to content

Multiple crashes

Lakrits

The game have been solid as a rock up until a few days ago, then it started crashing and have done so multiple times. The only things I know is different from before the crashings started happening is Windows update KB4497165, which is strange since it's an Intel microcode update and I have a Ryzen CPU, and the fact that I've been driving the Ferrari F2004, not done that ever before.

1. Description. Nothing else than that the game locks up and then crashes. Twice there have been crash reports, not sure if the first one got sent or not, I couldn't alt-tab to it, the game screen had taken over somehow and didn't let me. Everything exited when I hit enter though so maybe it got sent.

2. Running the latest 1.22.

3. Time trial, ranked online and the weekly event so far.

4. Not really. Sometimes I can play for an hour, other times it crashes almost instantly. Haven't been able to see anything common.

5. It has happened 5-6 times so far in the last 2-3 days. Never before.

6. No troubleshooting except checking which windows update was installed before this started happening. I don't know what to look for since the game has never crashed before on this computer.

7. Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience 3-in-1 (Old cheap thing)

8. Not captured any video. Haven't really gotten into doing that yet.

Don't know if I dare get into the weekly event again. The last crash happened on my second lap in the first practise session and now that session is lost. If it happens again I will not be able to do all programmes. And at worst, if it happens in quali before I can set a hot lap and I have to redo it I'll be penalised. Might just skip this event because of this.

DxDiag.txt

10 hours ago, Lakrits said:

The game have been solid as a rock up until a few days ago, then it started crashing and have done so multiple times. The only things I know is different from before the crashings started happening is Windows update KB4497165, which is strange since it's an Intel microcode update and I have a Ryzen CPU, and the fact that I've been driving the Ferrari F2004, not done that ever before.

1. Description. Nothing else than that the game locks up and then crashes. Twice there have been crash reports, not sure if the first one got sent or not, I couldn't alt-tab to it, the game screen had taken over somehow and didn't let me. Everything exited when I hit enter though so maybe it got sent.

2. Running the latest 1.22.

3. Time trial, ranked online and the weekly event so far.

4. Not really. Sometimes I can play for an hour, other times it crashes almost instantly. Haven't been able to see anything common.

5. It has happened 5-6 times so far in the last 2-3 days. Never before.

6. No troubleshooting except checking which windows update was installed before this started happening. I don't know what to look for since the game has never crashed before on this computer.

7. Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience 3-in-1 (Old cheap thing)

8. Not captured any video. Haven't really gotten into doing that yet.

Don't know if I dare get into the weekly event again. The last crash happened on my second lap in the first practise session and now that session is lost. If it happens again I will not be able to do all programmes. And at worst, if it happens in quali before I can set a hot lap and I have to redo it I'll be penalised. Might just skip this event because of this.

DxDiag.txt

KB4497165 is unfortunately installing using Microsoft's hopeless WU AI (unless it's a patch push ahead of 20H1 which will probably include this patch level by default). No explanation has been offered by Microsoft, so this is idle speculation.

It was offered to my laptop despite me having had a microcode update from Lenovo 6 months ago (and Microsoft's microcode is still a patch level behind Intel). These are the MDS level microcode fixes.

It will have zero effect on your microcode as Ryzen is not affected by the majority of SPECTRE/MDS flaws but the two files mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll are packaged together.

HWiNFO will show your microcode version. Restart in safe mode, take ownership of and rename the two (or just the AMD one in your case) dlls and restart. Uninstalling the patch will lead to it being installed again.

Once you've renamed those files then HWiNFO will show your UEFI/BIOS level of microcode.

The Windows kernel just uses the most up to date, either from your UEFI/BIOS or the dll.

That's what I said, it shouldn't have any effect since I have a Ryzen. But still, this update is the only thing that's changed on the computer before the crashes started so it's the only thing I can think of since the game never crashed before.

I started HWInfo to check temps and such before a gaming session and all temps were good after the next crash, max temps were well below what the hardware can take so it's not that.

Now that I came to think of it there is one more thing that might be different. I rebooted the computer and only started Steam and played for about an hour with no crash. The last few days I've been playing a Ubisoft game (Anno 2205) that require UPlay so that's been up and running in the background. It wasn't when I played last night without crashes so I need to test more and see if UPlay or perhaps the game leaving something in memory that can be the cause.

Archived