Sign in to follow this  

Flash backs in 2020

Anyone else feel flashbacks need a bit of a tweak?? Not in terms of how they work just in terms of how we use them.

There should be more options.

Id like for us to be able to keep flashbacks on for Practice and the Race but turn off for qualifying and give more of a sense of jeopardy. I tend to use them a bit to much in qualifying and it annoys me. Too many times I’ve used a flashback to correct a mistake in qualifying. I’d love the ability to turn off in qualifying but keep in practice and race conditions.

Cheers.

51 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

I’m not that good pal 

He iS saying: then just only use them in the race and practice session.

15 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

Can’t can you? It sets it to the weekend?

Idk, but we are saying that you just shouldnt click on "flashback" if you dont want to use it.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:08 AM, peanutt2000 said:

Anyone else feel flashbacks need a bit of a tweak?? Not in terms of how they work just in terms of how we use them.

Id like for us to be able to keep flashbacks on for Practice and the Race but turn off for qualifying and give more of a sense of jeopardy. I tend to use them a bit to much in qualifying and it annoys me. Too many times I’ve used a flashback to correct a mistake in qualifying. I’d love the ability to turn off in qualifying but keep in practice and race conditions.

Cheers.

It really is as simple as not using it. I only use flashbacks if the AI does something stupid, or to practice certain sections of tracks to save time (IE not having to do an entire lap 10 times to get 1 turn figured out). Also the odd usage for when I get distracted by something in the real world, since in an F1 car in real life I wouldn't have to worry about someone calling my phone lol. I never use it in qualifying, if I qualify last because of a mistake, then sucks to be me, I'll probably use 30 flash backs on turn one lmao.

Self control.

• Agree 2

On 5/30/2020 at 1:08 AM, peanutt2000 said:

Cheers.

I don't get it.  There's no need for the system to be changed.  It's there; if you don't want to use it, don't use it.  The system doesn't need to change just because you dont have self control.

All the time I've played with Flashback off, so I give up after so many mistakes and severals team fired and career restarts and.

Now I use and abuse this feature. 

It is difficult to not use the function when you actually only want to use it for emergency situations (like the game doing stupid things or real life issues that cause you to make a mistake). But on the other hand, it is totally up to you if and when you use it.

I've used it more than once during the qualifying and race sessions in the first 2 seasons of my career, but turned it off for the third season. In the first race almost got DNF'ed by a backmarker that pushed me in the wall. Which made me rethink my decision to turn it off. But I'm staying strong.

• Like 1

I'm surprised reading through this.  The option is there to have it on, or off.  Actually, isn't there still an option to have a select number of flashbacks you can use?  I really dont know, I just leave it on because sometimes life happens around here.  Someone walks in front of the TV, the Dog shoves her head under my arms for some attention while taking a corner at +250kph.  I need flashbacks for that.   If I take too much curb and slide into a wall and damage a wing, I either suck it up and drive on, or pit.   If us as players don't have self control, it doesn't mean the game needs changing, it means the player needs to re-evaluate the way they choose to play the game.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

I think the best option whic his whast I dio is give myself a certain numbe rtof flashbacks persession and once you've used them that's it. I tend to give myself a limit of 4 onc eI've used them whatever happens happens. Tha tway it encourages you t ous ethem moer strategically like when you really need to.

Yeah, I think that it is best way to do it. You've got three options: keep yourself under control, turn off flashbacks or just use the flashback whenever you want. There is no good or bad option, it's just personal preference.

However, since I'm not using the flashbacks anymore, I noticed that I've got more focus and actually make less mistakes. It costs me a tenth or two per lap in raw speed, since I'm taking less risk. But in online (where you don't get to use flashbacks) I get better results than ever. So, turning it off worked for me. But I understand people who leave it on for various reasons.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:41 AM, petro1319 said:

I'm surprised reading through this.  The option is there to have it on, or off.  Actually, isn't there still an option to have a select number of flashbacks you can use?  I really dont know, I just leave it on because sometimes life happens around here.  Someone walks in front of the TV, the Dog shoves her head under my arms for some attention while taking a corner at +250kph.  I need flashbacks for that.   If I take too much curb and slide into a wall and damage a wing, I either suck it up and drive on, or pit.   If us as players don't have self control, it doesn't mean the game needs changing, it means the player needs to re-evaluate the way they choose to play the game.

There used to be the option to set how many flashbacks you had available for a session up to a max of 5 and when they were gone, they were gone. I personally really liked it. It's pretty unlikely you'll get 5 AI borks even in a 100% race and it removes the temptation to just use them all the time. 

I don't remember which game it was where it turned into just an on/off option but I really do wish they'd bring back the option of limited flashbacks, it's a good compromise to me.

• Agree 1

It's not worth the time investment to code that into the game. Don't use them if you don't want to use them.

If you have a self control problem, use the game as a way to overcome it. Win, win.

• Agree 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, PipsAhoy said:

There used to be the option to set how many flashbacks you had available for a session up to a max of 5 and when they were gone, they were gone. I personally really liked it. It's pretty unlikely you'll get 5 AI borks even in a 100% race and it removes the temptation to just use them all the time. 

I don't remember which game it was where it turned into just an on/off option but I really do wish they'd bring back the option of limited flashbacks, it's a good compromise to me.

Back when we were limited to just a handful at most, doing 100% races on keyboard was an absolute nightmare on some tracks, and I was incredibly happy to see that go. I wouldn't be opposed to adding in an extra option, but am getting chills at the thought that a useful assist against hardware deficiency could be made effectively useless again thanks to people with no impulse control. There's plenty of opportunity between activating the option and actually resetting time to stop yourself, to say "no, I shouldn't be using a flashback for this" and cancel out of it.