Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Importance of a Detailed Bug Report

This may have been said, but it is something that I've seen some confusion on, so I thought I'd write a quick blurb as someone who has experience in the software industry, and specifically with helping find errors in the code.

If you find something wrong with the game, the developers want to know about it.  It may have been reported before (always search the bug reporting section for the same bug first, and add to that report) or it may be completely unknown.  Regardless, the more information the Devs have about the bug, the easier it is to find and fix.  Adding to an existing report gives more data that the Devs can use to zero in on the problem.

Imagine there are around 3 million lines of code.  I'm guessing, but based on my bit of checking, this is a rough number for a big AAA game.

"There's a problem with the game."  This means searching through 3 million lines of code, with no way to know what you're really looking for.

"There's a problem with the AI."  This at least puts the bug in a smaller part of that code, say 50,000 lines of code.  (Again, these are numbers designed to illustrate a point, not be 100% accurate.)  But we still have a huge number of variables to work with, and far too many possibilities to try to search through.

"There's a problem with the AI when coming out of the pits."  Ok, we're getting there.  Now we're down to just the code that controls that part of the AI behaviour - say, 5,000 lines of code.  But again, too many unknowns.  Which track, how long was the race, WAS it a race or was it Quali or Practise, etc, etc.

"In a 100% length race at Monaco, dry weather, full quali, no practise, standard start time, AI difficulty 94, playing as Hamilton in a Grand Prix (Monaco the only race).  Lap 28, as I rounded turn 1 an AI (Vettel) coming out of the pits veered directly in front of me, causing a collision.  Video attached. Version 1.2.3. Report code blah-blah-blah."  When you provide this much information, and it's in the correct bug report format, it's much easier for the Devs because it gives them what they need to duplicate the situation.  The key to finding a bug is being able to duplicate it.  If you can't, it's almost impossible to locate and fix.

I hope this helps.

• Agree 3

I agree but sadly if you do you post about same bug .you will get a personal message lol.

I do agree 100% but if codemasters want to go in another direction regardless of bugs then you will be ignored. 

There are some fantastic members on here with loads of online sim Racing experience but unless codemasters change there attitude towards basically customers who only want the best outcome for everyone and after all these customers pay hard cash which supports cod6and pay for the staffs wages.

There not interested in extensive bug reports. 

As Barry said he has a certain direction he wants to go and no matter what people post about the bugs .nothing will change. 

If they don't like something then they close the post .

Its pretty one sided on here and that's why they choose kids with brand new accounts to beta test.  

Why would they want people who disagree with them .

Like I say I agree with you 110% but sadly it won't alter anything in regards on how the f1 games goes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, senna94f1 said:

I agree but sadly if you do you post about same bug .you will get a personal message lol.

I do agree 100% but if codemasters want to go in another direction regardless of bugs then you will be ignored. 

There are some fantastic members on here with loads of online sim Racing experience but unless codemasters change there attitude towards basically customers who only want the best outcome for everyone and after all these customers pay hard cash which supports cod6and pay for the staffs wages.

There not interested in extensive bug reports. 

As Barry said he has a certain direction he wants to go and no matter what people post about the bugs .nothing will change. 

If they don't like something then they close the post .

Its pretty one sided on here and that's why they choose kids with brand new accounts to beta test.  

Why would they want people who disagree with them .

Like I say I agree with you 110% but sadly it won't alter anything in regards on how the f1 games goes.

When did Barry say that, can you link post pls

• Thanks 1

I think it’s a good move that Codemasters keep the report codes in the retail game after its launch and viewable from the pause screen. I’m sure when people post bugs if they also post the code along with a detailed description of the issue it should help the developers with replicating the problem. I don’t remember it being in previous F1 games but definitely was in 2019 after the games release and can imagine will carry forward with future titles.  

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 8:26 PM, pachedupdemon said:

When did Barry say that, can you link post pls

I was sent a private message  by Barry. 🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🤐🤐🤐🤐

I might add that Barry sounds a decent fellow 🍻

Well on some occasions 🤣

I try to help others but I don't live my life to be loved or liked .

I live my life because I am free and truthful and humble..

My opinions are never ever meant to offend or upset anyone. But people take things in there own personal view and upset themselves 🤣🤣🤣

On 5/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, DrDraken said:

This may have been said, but it is something that I've seen some confusion on, so I thought I'd write a quick blurb as someone who has experience in the software industry, and specifically with helping find errors in the code.

If you find something wrong with the game, the developers want to know about it.  It may have been reported before (always search the bug reporting section for the same bug first, and add to that report) or it may be completely unknown.  Regardless, the more information the Devs have about the bug, the easier it is to find and fix.  Adding to an existing report gives more data that the Devs can use to zero in on the problem.

Imagine there are around 3 million lines of code.  I'm guessing, but based on my bit of checking, this is a rough number for a big AAA game.

"There's a problem with the game."  This means searching through 3 million lines of code, with no way to know what you're really looking for.

"There's a problem with the AI."  This at least puts the bug in a smaller part of that code, say 50,000 lines of code.  (Again, these are numbers designed to illustrate a point, not be 100% accurate.)  But we still have a huge number of variables to work with, and far too many possibilities to try to search through.

"There's a problem with the AI when coming out of the pits."  Ok, we're getting there.  Now we're down to just the code that controls that part of the AI behaviour - say, 5,000 lines of code.  But again, too many unknowns.  Which track, how long was the race, WAS it a race or was it Quali or Practise, etc, etc.

"In a 100% length race at Monaco, dry weather, full quali, no practise, standard start time, AI difficulty 94, playing as Hamilton in a Grand Prix (Monaco the only race).  Lap 28, as I rounded turn 1 an AI (Vettel) coming out of the pits veered directly in front of me, causing a collision.  Video attached. Version 1.2.3. Report code blah-blah-blah."  When you provide this much information, and it's in the correct bug report format, it's much easier for the Devs because it gives them what they need to duplicate the situation.  The key to finding a bug is being able to duplicate it.  If you can't, it's almost impossible to locate and fix. 

I hope this helps.

Complete sense here. Thank you @DrDraken.

This importance of correct bug reporting can't be underestimated. It gives us a chance to replicate an issue, which is vital 👍

In terms of some other 'discussion' on here, its not on original topic at all. I actually feel bad for you here @DrDraken, as you've taken time and effort to raise an important issue, in a well thought out and considered manner which we truly appreciate and that can help everyone, as have others who have commented here objectively and engaged in a discussion on how bug reporting can improve . We appreciate you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Barry. 

Before you came along it was a complete nightmare  

And that's not having a dig at any other staff. 

Communication is key.

When people did report bugs there was no response for weeks or months. 

I am all for reporting bugs in the proper way. 

Racing games are probably the hardest games to produce and replicate reported bugs .

The same as just being forthright and honest and knowing why bugs are there because there was a change of direction with updates. 

If I were told .well mark we want to  go in that direction as overall it will improve the  game then I am happy. 

Every software has bugs and glitches and that can be down to net code or down to servers in MULTIPLAYER.  

Pcars2 is notorious once a player leave the lobby while everyone else is still Racing. 

Yet because we understand that. We can work around that bug or on track net code or even servers  

That way the forum dont get plastered with bug reports that are not related or just can't be replicated by the hard working staff of codemasters. 

I do understand completely Barry. 

And since you've been actively involved with forums. It has become a better place and perhaps others including Me have learnt to  understand it better. 

But please dont for bad for Dr Draken . Everyone is allowed an opinion in life wether we agree or not  

Famous phase. 

I am going to  agree to disagree.  And that's nothing to do with your post above. 

All the best. 

Ps would you mind not being sarcastic towards me as its getting more and more. 

Edited by senna94f1