Jump to content

Codemasters secure WRC licence from 2023

Recommended Posts

wonderful news and only that in 2023 we will have the hybrid and the sound well it will no longer be a problem for them but for us yes.:classic_ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh thank you sweet lord!

I actually tried playing a bit of wrc8 last night and the choppy frame rates made me car sick, had to turn it off after 5 minutes.

 And I don’t even suffer vr sickness playing dirt rally with psvr.

Please make this support psvr on ps5 going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

wonderful news and only that in 2023 we will have the hybrid and the sound well it will no longer be a problem for them but for us yes.:classic_ohmy:

Hybrid cars still have a fully functioning petrol engine. The cars will sound the same as they do now. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What will that mean for the games? Will Codemasters have 3 rally franchises in the future with Dirt, Dirt Rally and WRC? Or will the WRC content be included in the Dirt Rally games from that point on? And what would that again mean in terms of realism of the Dirt Rally games, since WRC would probably not want their games to be full simulation.

The way I see it is that in 2023 we'll get whatever the Dirt Rally team is currently working on, and that will be it for Dirt Rally.

Edited by Cobra
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting to see how Codemasters plan moving forward with this news. I personally think it’s great news but I wonder if they’ll want to do something accessible similar to the F1 games for the WRC series, and also continue the DiRT Rally series at the same time for a more more hardcore sim experience.  
 

I can imagine WRC might have seen how popular the F1 games are and might want a similar kind of game to bring in new fans.  On the other hand with them having the licence it might give them freedom as well with DiRT Rally to use more official cars and locations so everyone wins. Will be interesting to see how they approach things. 
 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

@Rallycameramanbut how will the hybrid have the same sound as now ???

Current plans for 22 is to have the exact same engine as now. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

therefore the cars will have the same sound ???

Yes. Hybrid is only a battery unit. Will provide more power for the cars that’s all. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really all depends how and when the hybrid motor will be engaged in WRC spec cars  during the races.Maybe the electric motors will only be used between special stages and /or for emergency power  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WRC: DiRT?

I think it'll be based on Dirt Rally engine, as it's being used for so much eSports by real life drivers, they're not likely to dumb it down, surely? DiRT 5 onwards would more likely be the fun side of off-road racing.

 

Unless DiRT Rally continues to service WRX only, perhaps?

Edited by VirtuaIceMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dytut said:

Current plans for 22 is to have the exact same engine as now. 

 

28 minutes ago, Rallycameraman said:

Yes. Hybrid is only a battery unit. Will provide more power for the cars that’s all. 

So the cars will just be even more powerful?
Can't really believe that.

I really fear a 2nd mess like 2014 with these horrible V6 Turbo Hybrid engines we still have in F1.
They sound absolutely awful.

Watched an old Formula E race yesterday because I was bored...they sound like my vacuum cleaner (Vacuum cleaner? That sounds strange, but google says it's right 😄 ).

Really dark future for motorsport in my eyes. I know, we have to find a clean way for motorsport, but is there really no other way as electric only in the future?

 

Anyway.

 

My fears for that deal is now, we get an official licensed game like the F1 games. The games are not that bad, but far away from an hardcore sim like DR 2.0. Doesn't matter what the F1-PR-guys say.

And also classic cars. I doubt we get all we have now and on top the licensed cars.
They will most likely cuts from the current roster. I don't wanna give up any of them in favor of these (quite ugly) new hatchbacks.

I personally don't need the WRC license, if that means cuts to the current game. As a bonus sure, but not with a compromise.

Maybe there will be a DiRT Rally 3 before that. Waiting another 3 years would drive me mad.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Octavia WRC

SEAT WRC

Accent WRC 

WRC05 Lancer

and the Group A Lancer EVO VII

Please?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy days!

My PC will probably be minimum spec by then though!

  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KreuZenNL said:

Next : BTCC licence

there is a new TOCA style game being made maybe thats a codies one aswell but waiting to see about the licensing.

WRC stages cant wait. drools thinking of corsica germany ! 😎

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Codies states the DIRT Rally team "is already working on their next project ahead of the WRC agreement in 2023".

That's what I wanted to read.

Dirt Rally 3.0 on next-gen consoles is what I want most of all, more so than a Codies-made WRC10 or whatever.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First of all, I think current F1 cars do sound quite impressive. Just go buy some tickets and listen these cars fly by. That should change your mind. The cars are faster now than they've ever been, and more fuel efficient. V12s and V10s are heavy and they're thirsty making it difficult to set cars up and find a good balance. 

The WRC MGU power is expected to be 100kW and the cars will keep the 380HP ICE. Now, does that mean that whenever it's going to be allowed to be used power output will be around 500HP? :classic_ohmy: 

Edited by richie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

 

So the cars will just be even more powerful?
Can't really believe that.

I really fear a 2nd mess like 2014 with these horrible V6 Turbo Hybrid engines we still have in F1.
They sound absolutely awful.

Watched an old Formula E race yesterday because I was bored...they sound like my vacuum cleaner (Vacuum cleaner? That sounds strange, but google says it's right 😄 ).

Really dark future for motorsport in my eyes. I know, we have to find a clean way for motorsport, but is there really no other way as electric only in the future?

 

Anyway.

 

My fears for that deal is now, we get an official licensed game like the F1 games. The games are not that bad, but far away from an hardcore sim like DR 2.0. Doesn't matter what the F1-PR-guys say.

And also classic cars. I doubt we get all we have now and on top the licensed cars.
They will most likely cuts from the current roster. I don't wanna give up any of them in favor of these (quite ugly) new hatchbacks.

I personally don't need the WRC license, if that means cuts to the current game. As a bonus sure, but not with a compromise.

Maybe there will be a DiRT Rally 3 before that. Waiting another 3 years would drive me mad.

WRC going to hybrid is absolutely nothing like F1. F1 went from NA 17000rpm V8s to Turno Charged 12000rpm V6s. The battery/hybrid unit has F all to do with the sound. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reading this as a confirmation for Dirt Rally 3 being released around 2023, once the agreement is in full effect. That'd give the main crew (programmers, artists, animators etc.) over two years to deliver, which is a pretty nice timeline for a project this size. It's possible they're planning Dirt Rally 3 for 2021, Dirt 6 for 2022 and Dirt Rally 4 for 2023, but that'd be pretty ridiculous.

I would not be happy with another WRC entry, but this time from Codemasters. It's pointless to split these games, when they occupy the same genre. Perhaps the game will be titled "Dirt WRC", "Dirt Rally 3 WRC", or even a whole new franchise.

I'm wondering how it'll influence the development. Obviously the cars are in, but so are the tracks. This does not bode well for the random track generator feature, nor even modding - I'm not betting on WRC allowing much customization in its products.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richie said:

First of all, I think current F1 cars do sound quite impressive. Just go buy some tickets and listen these cars fly by. That should change your mind. The cars are faster now than they've ever been, and more fuel efficient. V12s and V10s are heavy and they're thirsty making it difficult to set cars up and find a good balance. 

There is no way I pay these ticket prices to watch Lewis Hamilton win for the Xed amount of time in an awful sounding car.
You can excuse these sounds like you want, compared to a V10/V8 back in the day they sound awful.
I don't say you can't get excited while on track hearing them, but it's not even close to what it was.

And there is no german GP and soon no german driver in the field. No german team, too (no, I don't accept Mercedes GP as a german team), so no reason to go in a different country watching boring races in awful sounding cars.

And I don't say, I want V10s back. They are outdated now, I know. But there must be a solution for much better sound.
But it looks like it's just a matter of time we get silent electric only power units in the future in F1 and WRC.
Maybe not in the next 3-5 years, but probably in 10.

6 minutes ago, richie said:

The WRC MGU power is expected to be 100kW while maintaining the 380HP ICE. Now, does that mean that whenever it's going to be allowed to be used power output will be 480HP? :classic_ohmy: 

That sounds ridiculous.
The Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 had 480 HP, that would mean we are reaching Group B HP again.
Pretty ridiculous for rally sport.

5 minutes ago, Rallycameraman said:

WRC going to hybrid is absolutely nothing like F1. F1 went from NA 17000rpm V8s to Turno Charged 12000rpm V6s. The battery/hybrid unit has F all to do with the sound. 

Not directly, yes.
But they replaced the V8s for V6 Turbos, BECAUSE they have that Hybrid system as a replacement for some part of the HP output.
And that part gets more and more and ultimately replacing petrol engines in the future completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so this will hopefully be the time we see the SMS "inspired"  tarmac physics i hope .................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×