Who Are The Best Formula 1 Drivers That Never Won A World Championship?

Posted (edited)

We all know the drivers who have won a world championship, but what about the ones who haven’t? For me it has to be Felipe Massa. I shed multiple tears for him in 2008 and my heart broke for him. What driver would you pick and why?

Edited by ObiWanMaHomie

Posted (edited)

DC and Rubinho (in that order)

Both of them had to fulfill the second fiddle part in their teams (Rubinho twice actually), probably in their prime time, just shame they never won a championship.

Edited by ragequit1

Posted (edited)

For me, Massa and Barrichello. And hope that Ricciardo become World Champion one day.

Edited by EduCalza
Spelling, sorry my english

Posted (edited)

Loads of them. Gilles Villeneuve, Didier Peroni, Gerhard Berger, Ronnie Petersen, Jacky Ickx, to name but a few.

(Much as I love DC, he never really struck me as world champion material...)

Edited by scottishwildcat
  • Like 1

Juan Pablo Montoya is an honourable mention for me! 😊

1 hour ago, XanderSJX said:

Stirling Moss.

I was hoping someone would say Stirling as he was streets ahead of the others named. People forget he actually was world champion in 1958 for a very short while as his rival Mike Hawthorn was penalised but Stirling protested against it as he knew it was unjust and got the penalty overturned, giving Mike the championship.... by 1 point iirc

• Agree 1

Michael Schumacher, because he cheated for 7 of them 🙂 never won a thing.

In all honesty, the current pretenders are the best drivers not to win a WDC - Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen. Race winning pedigree but their time is sure to come. More the former than the latter, just in a better position right now. They've both got 'the stuff'.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

I'll go with Montoya among those i've watched, had the talent but perhaps not the politics skill or the patience for F1.

I'd put Barrichello over Massa(and Berger/Alesi) on other potential champs.

I’ll throw in a name that’s worthy and hasn’t been mentioned...

Martin Brundle

Never was in the right car at the right time. Was Schumacher’s teammate at Benetton in 1992 scoring 38 points and 5 podiums to Michael’s 53 points and 8 podiums (I hope I have the numbers right)....solid effort.

Never won a Grand Prix but I’ve felt in the right car, he would have been a worthy champion, let alone race winner.

Nico Hulkenberg. How this lad never had a podium is beyond me. If he’d of been 2 inch shorter he’d of been in a Ferrari with Alonso and contesting for race wins and championships.

in no order:

Ronnie Peterson, Gilles Villeneuve, Francois Cevert, Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Clay Regazzoni.

People saying DC are just being silly, lol no.  

I think we forgot Carlos Reutemann, who could have been the 1st world champion for Williams but missed his shot with a bit of misfortune...

And of course Michele Alboreto, who competed on the same terms with Alain Prost during most of the 1985 season, and who (I think) suffered from a lack of reliability from his Ferrari (I might be wrong on this). Ferrari was never in the run after that (not until 1990) and Alboreto missed his shot...

I respectfully disagree about most drivers quoted here, because most of them actually HAD the chance of driving a winning car (Berger, DC, Barrichello, not-quoted-yet-Fisichella...), or racing for teams that had just won championships (Alesi & Berger again in 1996...), but they didn't manage to take these cars to the title. So on the contrary, the brutal conclusion (the "sports" one) is that they were not good enough 😶 Give the right car to a champion material, and he WILL be champion - guaranteed.

To me, the recent guys who showed the talent to become champion and came reeaaaaally close to it, would rather be drivers like Montoya (2003, would have been champion if Williams-BMW had been more reliable), Massa (2008... Singapour-gate ?), and of course Mark Webber (2010 and the incredible Abu Dhabi 4-contendents-finish) 😉

Posted (edited)

Let's be honest - Barrichello would never have been allowed to win a championship, even if he was faster than Schumacher.

Edited by Indominus2018

Posted (edited)

Sir Stirling Moss is, to me, the best one (people name him the uncrowned champion). Otherwise, if I have to be modern, Felipe Massa.

Edited by Wal

On 7/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, Indominus2018 said:

Let's be honest - Barrichello would never have been allowed to win a championship, even if he was faster than Schumacher.

Respectfully, I think you forget that the Ferrari was not the only championship-winning car that Barrichello had the opportunity to drive - remember, he was Button's teammate during the 2009 winning season of Brawn GP... He came close, but Jenson ended up being champion...