Grid starts a joke!

So, I’m getting fed up with grid starts. Here’s an example of what is hacking me off. Several times, I’ve been lined up on the grid, ahead of my opponent, hit the perfect start, against a car that I find out at the end of the race has less power and less aero than me. By the time I’m halfway down the first straight, my opponent is out of sight around the first corner! He’s got less power, less aero and I got a perfect start! Why am I not ahead by the first corner?

The other thing that’s really grinding my gears are AI cars slowing almost to a stop before a bend. One example. I’m motoring down the long straight at Shanghai, almost half the length of the straight between me and the AI car in front. I hit the braking point just as the braking indicator starts and I’m standing on the brakes. The AI car in front of me has virtually stopped and I rear end it! Then I get a contact penalty!

It seems that grids starts are a total lottery and my win percentage has gone right down. All setups are good and I’m winning most qualifiers.

You need power AND lightweight for strong starts.  I usually make it to the top 3 before the first corner.  Aero is not as important with the new update. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

About grid starts, I have noticed something maybe weird.

If you pay attention to the throttle noise as you release the clutch, if the throttle noise is "grrrrrrrrrr" (I don't know how to write it here), that is, if it's normal, then the grid start is effective and you overtake at least 1 car by the first 50m. However, at times, despite Perfect Start, I have noticed a weird 'silence' of a sound. More like "swooooosh" before the throttle takes effect at least 2 seconds later. Like the anti-stall issue Red Bulls faced last season. This leads to a certain fall in track positions by 1 or even 2.

Is it just me hallucinating? 😛 

Edited by StoicSouthpaw

A new tactic for me at least, from opponents in Grid and Sprints is that if you are close behind them following the same line on a straight, they will suddenly brake. You cop the penalty and it's game over and a loss of safety rating. I'm also terrified of trying to overtake "anybody" at any time. I mean, we're supposed to be racing! So if I get a perfect start and I'm ahead of my opponent by 4 or 5 places, I want to extend my lead, but the AI discourage any attempt to overtake them because they are so erratic. Often the same tactic of braking to a crawl in a corner. So you hold your position watching your opponent picking up places as you tip toe around.

Since the update you should be able to clear the AI cars in grid starts before the first corner in most races. 

AIs have been really good since the latest update. Only problem is when they are perfect in street track qualifyings. Especially Monaco where they don’t ever make mistakes. 

I understand the frustration with the AI cars but it’s kind of the same in real racing; if the driver keeps to his lines and hits the apexes then it’s tough to overtake and you have to be careful about where you make your move for example never at any “s-bends”

I used to agree that AI cars are much better after the update. USED TO. No more. I have been shunted into the wall by AI (mostly either of the two Red Bulls) in STRAIGHTS when I'm on my way to overtake them TIME AND AGAIN. Happened at Monza, Canada, Albert Park and others. They're not just aggressive, they're dirty AF. I can expect opponents to do that, but not the AI Cars in Grid and Sprint races. 

13 hours ago, KMPkemp said:

I understand the frustration with the AI cars but it’s kind of the same in real racing; if the driver keeps to his lines and hits the apexes then it’s tough to overtake and you have to be careful about where you make your move for example never at any “s-bends”

Following AI cars at S-es is the worst. I actually fear them more than the opponent. Just can't follow them like in reality. They'll either slow you down or move dangerously to run you off the track.