F1 2019 I'm so out of my depth....but persevering

1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

My F1 2019 mojo has returned. My dejection and exasperation has changed to progress is being made.....and the enjoyment factor has returned. I'm managing more consistent laps on Silverstone on Time Trial. I even reckon that I have improved my fastest lap time by a few seconds ( now down to 1'42'......still slow......but an improvement) but it hasn't been saved in game. Technique wise it has suddenly dawned on me to brake earlier and turn steering into corners much earlier! And that over braking, although not good technique, on some really tight corners is probably better in losing less time compared to going  in too fast and spinning off.

I've adjusted the steering, throttle and braking configurations to numbers that will probably make you seasoned drivers despair.....but they seem to be working for me at present. Anyway.....I'm rambling on a bit........but the lowdown is I'm enjoying the game......again.

Yesterday I just switched to Med Traction Control from Full and Manual Gears from Auto because I was struggling a little in year two of a Career with Ferrari and wow what a game changer it was for me. I’m so much faster with manual gears and its really made the game so much more fun. Honestly I feel I have more grip with manual gears and medium TC especially in the rain so go figure. 

4 minutes ago, Bhawk67 said:

Yesterday I just switched to Med Traction Control from Full and Manual Gears from Auto because I was struggling a little in year two of a Career with Ferrari and wow what a game changer it was for me. I’m so much faster with manual gears and its really made the game so much more fun. Honestly I feel I have more grip with manual gears and medium TC especially in the rain so go figure. 

Not gonna lie, my noob self was so frustrated with Monaco's hairpin on season 1 of career that I skipped it altogether. Got a bunch of new parts, took a lifetime of grid penalties and simply simulated the race. Now that I am on manual gears I feel like street circuits may hold a wealth of fun. 

Just overtaking is way more engaging already.

1 minute ago, marioho said:

Not gonna lie, my noob self was so frustrated with Monaco's hairpin on season 1 of career that I skipped it altogether. Got a bunch of new parts, took a lifetime of grid penalties and simply simulated the race. Now that I am on manual gears I feel like street circuits may hold a wealth of fun. 

Just overtaking is way more engaging already.

Yeam I’m really looking forward to some street circuits also and the cornering with manual gears is amazing because it really helps get the rear kicked out and helps with corner entry so much. This was the perfect time to switch to manual gears also because I’d like to go no assists with 2020 if possible. I’m on a controller currently but I’m so hooked on the game/sport now that it wont be long I’m sure before a complete wheel rig gets built. 

1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

My F1 2019 mojo has returned. My dejection and exasperation has changed to progress is being made.....and the enjoyment factor has returned. I'm managing more consistent laps on Silverstone on Time Trial. I even reckon that I have improved my fastest lap time by a few seconds ( now down to 1'42'......still slow......but an improvement) but it hasn't been saved in game. Technique wise it has suddenly dawned on me to brake earlier and turn steering into corners much earlier! And that over braking, although not good technique, on some really tight corners is probably better in losing less time compared to going  in too fast and spinning off.

I've adjusted the steering, throttle and braking configurations to numbers that will probably make you seasoned drivers despair.....but they seem to be working for me at present. Anyway.....I'm rambling on a bit........but the lowdown is I'm enjoying the game......again.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I can relate to your struggles from other racing games. Just keep practicing and you'll get faster. 

You're right to brake and steer earlier. You'll be amazed at how much of an impact a good technique can have on your driving than chucking the car into corners!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bhawk67 said:

Yeam I’m really looking forward to some street circuits also and the cornering with manual gears is amazing because it really helps get the rear kicked out and helps with corner entry so much. This was the perfect time to switch to manual gears also because I’d like to go no assists with 2020 if possible. I’m on a controller currently but I’m so hooked on the game/sport now that it wont be long I’m sure before a complete wheel rig gets built. 

I'm considering buying a wheel too! But unfortunately we are on that overcast period between console generations. I don't want to shell out that kind of money without knowing that the wheel will be compatible with the PS5.

You can get a Thrustmaster T150 for about $150 and it should work on a PS5. I have a Thrustmaster T-GT and I'm not worried about it working on a PS5. I'm also pretty sure PlayStation knows that we all can't go buy new PS5's and new wheels at the same time. I would not be too worried about wheels for a PS4 working on a PS5. The T150 is a pretty cheep option for just getting started and comes with pedals. It makes a big difference when you have paddle shifters.

Just now, Getts0388 said:

You can get a Thrustmaster T150 for about $150 and it should work on a PS5. I have a Thrustmaster T-GT and I'm not worried about it working on a PS5. I'm also pretty sure PlayStation knows that we all can't go buy new PS5's and new wheels at the same time. I would not be too worried about wheels for a PS4 working on a PS5. The T150 is a pretty cheep option for just getting started and comes with pedals. It makes a big difference when you have paddle shifters.

Several of my friends have a T150 and they say it's a very good wheel for the price. The pedals, however, are utter garbage and should be upgraded as soon as possible.

Yes, I have a T3PA-PRO set of pedals and Thrustmaster just released T-LCM which is their new "Load Cell" version. I'm saving my pennies to upgrade to a Fanatec Podium F1 racing wheel and pedals. However the Thrustmaster setup I have now has not let me down and is well worth the investment I have in it. I even have a T150 in the box still as an emergency backup just in case I have issues with T-GT wheel. Therefore I don't have to wait on shipping or a Gamestop or something like that to open. The T150 and the T3PA-PRO pedals is a great starting point.

41 minutes ago, Getts0388 said:

I tending more towards Logitech G29. It is more readily available on my market And though I firmly on Sony being amicable enough with their player base this time around, I am not so sure about Logitech.

15 minutes ago, marioho said:

I tending more towards Logitech G29. It is more readily available on my market And though I firmly on Sony being amicable enough with their player base this time around, I am not so sure about Logitech.

As an owner of G29 I'd suggest trying it out first, if at all possible. In general I feel like it's a good wheel that drives well, especially in rallying, but at least for me it doesn't feel good in the Codemasters F1 games. With gentle inputs  the wheel feels completely weightless but then it jerks and shakes around very violently for reasons I often fail to see, like on the exits of hairpins (not touching the kerbs). I haven't driven the game with other wheels so I don't know if that's only with the G29 or all wheels.

G27 was not compatible with the current generation and I kind of doubt the G29 will be compatible with the new generation either. It's a big cash grab for all parties involved. Personally I'm inclining on updating my pc and being done with the console shenanigans.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marioho said:

I'm considering buying a wheel too! But unfortunately we are on that overcast period between console generations. I don't want to shell out that kind of money without knowing that the wheel will be compatible with the PS5.

I always thought that I would be a pad/ controller player. To my dying day. But the more I see content regarding wheels the more I think I would like to try one. However, at my age, I don't know how long I'll be around to be playing next gen consoles. 

1 minute ago, Scrogs said:

I always thought that I would be a pad/ controller player. To my dying day. But the more I see content regarding wheels the more I think I would like to try one. However, at my age, I don't know how long I'll be around to be playing next gen consoles. 

You old? C'mon! We are all spring chickens this day and age! Plus, I'd bet your heirs would dig to inherit an almost-new wheel. I know I would.

In all seriousness though, arguably the majority of F1 gamers play on a pad. And they are pretty good at that. Playing with a wheel probably comes with advantages but I'm not interested in one just to better my driving. I want one because I think it could be fun.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, marioho said:

You old? C'mon! We are all spring chickens this day and age! Plus, I'd bet your heirs would dig to inherit an almost-new wheel. I know I would.

In all seriousness though, arguably the majority of F1 gamers play on a pad. And they are pretty good at that. Playing with a wheel probably comes with advantages but I'm not interested in one just to better my driving. I want one because I think it could be fun.

Your post induced a wry smile from me marioho. And that you are a pad player gives me hope and reinforcement that I can enjoy the game no matter what. I can't wait for my son and his bairns to be able to visit me (post lockdown/social distancing) and see that dad/granddad is bombing around Silverstone in a F1 car.......hahahahahaha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

Your post induced a wry smile from me marioho. And that you are a pad player gives me hope and reinforcement that I can enjoy the game no matter what. I can't wait for my son and his bairns to be able to visit me (post lockdown/social distancing) and see that dad/granddad is bombing around Silverstone in a F1 car.......hahahahahaha.

And F1 2020 will feature splitscreen multiplayer! Just imagine wiping your son arse in front of your grandchildren!

Please do make sure to give a controller with casual mode and all assists on to your grandkids and a pad with no assists to your son so that the little rascals can give their dad a whipping too. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, marioho said:

And F1 2020 will feature splitscreen multiplayer! Just imagine wiping your son arse in front of your grandchildren!

Please do make sure to give a controller with casual mode and all assists on to your grandkids and a pad with no assists to your son so that the little rascals can give their dad a whipping too. 

Naughty.......but nice. It's tough for a feller of my age. Like....do I leave my 1964 edition of Subbuteo football to my son.....or grandbairns? Maybe getting a bit off topic now though...so let's keep it F1 related.

5 hours ago, Bhawk67 said:

I will go figure.......whatever that means. 

53 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

I will go figure.......whatever that means. 

I was just saying that it was surprising (go figure) that I have more grip and better performance in the rain with med TC and manual gears as opposed to auto gears. Go figure is just a saying that’s all.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/go-figure

Edited by Bhawk67

I've been using Iko Rein's excellent Telemetry 9.3 app from Race Department mods on a second monitor.  www.racedepartment.com/downloads/telemetry-application.27456/

The time diff line by "Blue faster/Red faster" shows where I'm losing time against a previous faster lap time or someone else's lap.

image.png.9e1ea9ba9cfc08d764db4ff580f256eb.png

Mainly on corner entry. So probably too fast and/or too late turn in.

It would be great for the fast video drivers on YouTube to upload their fast lap csv, then us mere mortals can see what is happening.

I've also asked Iko if he could put the turn apex along the horizontal axis.

Edited by Pin6all_Wizard
  • Thanks 1

Could a mod change the heading of this thread to something like "Some improvement being made and still persevering". I've spent the last week or so driving  and trying out different set ups and steering/throttle and braking callibrations. Thought I'd try another solo F1 Championship race. I still came last in the race (19th as opposed to 20th......Leclerc DNF). HOWEVER :-

* My best lap was 'only' 3 seconds slower than the fastest lap.

* I drove more consistently........had some bad corners but managed to stay on the track.

* I wasn't lapped......Finishing 1'19" behind the winner.....and was 'only' 16 seconds behind the 18th placed car.

* I even managed to change my fuel mix to rich when prompted by ?Jeff around 3 laps from the end.

Getting better........and really enjoying playing the game into the bargain too.

• Like 1