F1 2019 I'm so out of my depth....but persevering

Ok......I've had game for two weeks....and, although I'm enjoying the whole gameplay experience, I'm struggling a bit. All the assists are set to novice/full driving assist and I'm having problems getting around tracks without the car leaving the track let alone getting around in what could be deemed a competitive time. Example......Time Trial on Silverstone. Lap record is 1'30 ish. My best time.......2'16!  Has anyone who uses console controller (specifically XBox One) to drive with got any suggestions on how they use it......in particular the steering aspect? Could my steering, throttle and brake deadzones/linearity/saturation settings need adjusting? 

I don't fully understand them but they must be in the game for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

Ok......I've had game for two weeks....and, although I'm enjoying the whole gameplay experience, I'm struggling a bit. All the assists are set to novice/full driving assist and I'm having problems getting around tracks without the car leaving the track let alone getting around in what could be deemed a competitive time. Example......Time Trial on Silverstone. Lap record is 1'30 ish. My best time.......2'16!  Has anyone who uses console controller (specifically XBox One) to drive with got any suggestions on how they use it......in particular the steering aspect? Could my steering, throttle and brake deadzones/linearity/saturation settings need adjusting? 

I don't fully understand them but they must be in the game for a reason. 

Slow down. Start driving a track as if you are on a regular roadway, then slowly increase your speed each lap. Best way to learn a track.

Then once you feel like you've reached your peak, watch some videos of fast hot laps, watch their lines, watch their speeds into corners and start trying to adjust to make more speed.

• Agree 2

Have a look at track guides. E.g. https://realsport101.com/racing/f1/f1-2019-australian-grand-prix-track-guide/

That will give you braking points which is a start, but be a little conservative. I have a strip under my monitor with each corner and metre braking point.  More difficult is the turn in point to get round a corner cleanly with constant wheel. Ie without undershooting or overshooting the corner and clattering into the barrier - particularly on a street circuit.

And it is amazing how much faster a lap time is at a slightly slower speed!!

Don't think deadzones etc will help. 

Charles Leclerc spent 5/6 hours a day before his first virtual F1 race. 

• Agree 2

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks. I may be back with more gameplay related queries though!

And don't worry about your lap times compared to other players. As long as you can set the AI to match your pace, and have fun racing, that is what matters. You'll get steadily faster sooner than you think.

Edited by Morsify
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks. I may be back with more gameplay related queries though!

I'd recommend having racing line and finding your feet on the track. Try testing at one track for a long time, as the gains you will see will be based on your driving, and will translate track-to-track.

I'd also recommend the base settings on your controllers for now as they are a solid base point. Remember, sometimes to go fast, you feel slow. Things like smoothness and consistency are problems for about 80% of all our drivers (me included!). Just practice, it comes with time. Then consider dropping down braking assist a little.

Try and learn on 1 circuit first. At least then you'll get used to the flow of the circuit, so you can focus on driving. Auto gearbox to begin with too is important, especially at early levels.

• Agree 3

On 6/4/2020 at 10:05 AM, BarryBL said:

I'd recommend having racing line and finding your feet on the track. Try testing at one track for a long time, as the gains you will see will be based on your driving, and will translate track-to-track.

I'd also recommend the base settings on your controllers for now as they are a solid base point. Remember, sometimes to go fast, you feel slow. Things like smoothness and consistency are problems for about 80% of all our drivers (me included!). Just practice, it comes with time. Then consider dropping down braking assist a little.

Try and learn on 1 circuit first. At least then you'll get used to the flow of the circuit, so you can focus on driving. Auto gearbox to begin with too is important, especially at early levels.

My tons of testing at Australia (for many reasons, button layout tests, steering ratio tests, steering rotation tests etc, basically all my rig set up testing) is the reason why its the only track I can consistently run no TCS (usually the only assist I run) and be just as fast or faster than I am with TCS med lol.

When I first got F1 2012 I was where the OP is, zero experience in open wheel and zero experience on most F1 tracks lol. It was rough, I eventually dropped to Marussia so I wouldn't have to worry about kers, and could focus on driving, and lowered the difficulty to where if I ran a good race it was possible to win, and now the only reason I run TCS still is consistency against the AI in the rain, and I alternate games usually lol. 2012-2014-2016-2017-2018-2020 will be the F1 games I'll have owned. I still don't play them as much as other racing games in general, but I've become good enough, I could probably run lower tier leagues if I put my mind to it lol.

Incidentally, I still to this day usually run a season with Sauber because that was the team I wound up having the most fun with in 2012 lol.

Edited by DarkRedslayer
  • Agree 1

What a difference a few hours on the track and heeding the advice of more experienced drivers makes. Without totally understanding car set up, I've managed to adjust steering, throttle and braking deadzones, linearity and saturation to give me a better drive, (could probably get it better once I understand what changes effect what parameters). Driving Silverstone circuit and have got my best  lap time down to 1'49" from 2'16"........I'm enjoying the game immensely.....even when I get caught out on the last bend/curve into the finish line straight and overshoot the green rumble strip and the "this lap and next lap invalidated" message comes up. Might even start my career!

Noob question.......What does the Maximum Wheel Rotation input do? Is it how far the steering wheel travels from full left to full right lock? Is it only for actual steering wheel sim set ups.....or for console thumbstick too?

Edited by Scrogs
Noob question
  • Agree 1

Yup - takes a good many hours.  I've spent the last 2 weeks getting to grips with Baku ahead of tomorrows virtual F1 race.  Another hard street circuit.  And finally getting the hang of it - but with assists.  I am doing a couple of 40 lap sessions each day.  After tomorrow, on to the next race - Montreal and only a week.

Something that helped me when using controller was I reconfigured controls and had the R3 stick to control throttle/brake rather than default L2/R2. I felt I could control the amount of throttle/braking I was applying more.sensitively. I use PS4 so not sure if something similar is possible on Xbox? I use a wheel now so would be pretty useless with a controller! 😂 I think I used L2 for look back and R2 for DRS?! Got rid of the look around function as I never found it useful. 

Ok......the initial 'noob with good intentions to learn the game and enjoy it too' period has turned into a 'not improving and getting exasperated and dejected' period. I'm finding  myself faffing about with different cars, set ups and pad callibration more than actually driving. And, rather embarrassingly, I find myself trying different callibrations for steering' throttle and braking (steering in particular) from 0 to 100......and can't see much difference when driving. Are the differences from 0 to fully deployed very subtle? Is my game working properly? Or am I the most inept driver? I just want to get round a circuit for a couple of laps without spinning off ( all noob assists are ON btw). 

I've even considered buying some of those thumbstick extender thingies in the hope of improving/smoothing out my steering. 

Desperation is creeping in!!

@Scrogs

its been years since I have played F1 with my ps4 controller as I switched to a complete sim rig in 2017. However when i was using a PS4 controller I never messed with any of the calibrations for steering, throttle or brakes. If I was u I would put them all back default. Try the assist settings below. Then practice and don’t stop. It will hours of practice but u will start getting faster & faster until u top out & find your limits per your driving style. Then start completely turn off the assist one at a time.

brake assist: off

TC: medium

anti-lock brakes: on

gearbox: automatic

driving line: full or corners only

if u have the brake & TC on full power they are overriding your inputs & driving for you. Once you master the settings above, turn gearbox to manual. Using a manual gearbox helps you slow the car down faster & help you get the car turned into corners & you can short shift to keep rear wheel from spinning. Let us know if you need more help & most of us on here are willing to give you advice. Practice is the most important thing. Good luck & don’t give up, you can do it!!!

• Thanks 1

Yeah I have never changed my settings on a controller. Should all be default. As @BarryBL stated, use the racing line. Have it 2D if you find it annoying to learn the tracks. I turn it on for France as I don’t know it even now! 

• Thanks 1

I've changed the callibration settings so many times that I've forgotten what they were to start with. Are they all at zero......or at 50?

Just now, Scrogs said:

I've changed the callibration settings so many times that I've forgotten what they were to start with. Are they all at zero......or at 50?

Think you can either hit reset or chose select default on the controls again

40 minutes ago, tarrantino said:

Think you can either hit reset or chose select default on the controls again

39 minutes ago, Getts0388 said:

There should be a “reset to default” option 

Yes there is a reset option......and I've found it.   Thanks for your help.

• Agree 1

No problem. Just make sure u have the “brake assist” off. It’s only messing u up by braking for u. Remember, slow in, fast out. You will get faster as u practice. U can also up the down force with the wings & slowly turn them down as u learn any given track. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

As a rule of thumb too you want to breaking at 100m that’ll be the latest. Gives you a guide where you need to break. Break earlier to begin with to get an idea. 

• Thanks 1

>if u have the brake & TC on full power they are overriding your inputs & driving for you.  

So, does this mean one can get to the stage when one is trying to drive faster than the assists will allow?? 

5 minutes ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

>if u have the brake & TC on full power they are overriding your inputs & driving for you.  

So, does this mean one can get to the stage when one is trying to drive faster than the assists will allow?? 

Yes indeed. That is what driving aids do in real life too - they prevent the driver from driving "too fast" by pre-defined parameters. There's a gap in performance between those parameters and the real peak performance. Filling that gap without going too much over the limit is what makes the fastest drivers. In road cars the gap is wider than in race cars.

2 hours ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

Well spotted. I've gone into the callibration settings and reset them to default levels. I've checked the assist settings and, where I was under the impression that I had all assists set to max/noob, I had in fact had them set to :-

brake assist: off

TC: medium

anti-lock brakes: on

I apologise for any misunderstanding that I will have undoubtedly have caused by giving erroneous information. All my posts are in good faith. I'm finding the game more difficult as I explore and play it more. Maybe it's all a bit too much for a bloke in his sixties!

Agree, don't have any odd settings and start removing assists.  No, you'll do well and have the 4th fastest overall time shortly😃😃

• Thanks 1

You should probably benefit from taking a few pointers on braking, steering, and throttling. Maybe look for someone doing a lap on a circuit you're familiar with and pay close attention to their dashboard. When they brake, when they steer into the corner, when they throttle. And how much pressure they apply on each button too.

Your maneuverability is severely hindered if you try to steer with the brakes full on or if you apply the throttle too early.

When you get those fundamentals down the world will open wide for you. Trail braking, short shifting, car setups... And control calibrations, too. You should be able to at least do a full lap without going over the track limits if you pace yourself. Understeering and oversteering are  handling first, setup second kind of problem.

Edited by marioho
  • Thanks 1

My F1 2019 mojo has returned. My dejection and exasperation has changed to progress is being made.....and the enjoyment factor has returned. I'm managing more consistent laps on Silverstone on Time Trial. I even reckon that I have improved my fastest lap time by a few seconds ( now down to 1'42'......still slow......but an improvement) but it hasn't been saved in game. Technique wise it has suddenly dawned on me to brake earlier and turn steering into corners much earlier! And that over braking, although not good technique, on some really tight corners is probably better in losing less time compared to going  in too fast and spinning off.

I've adjusted the steering, throttle and braking configurations to numbers that will probably make you seasoned drivers despair.....but they seem to be working for me at present. Anyway.....I'm rambling on a bit........but the lowdown is I'm enjoying the game......again.