Beware when changing TV size/or non 4K UHD to 4K UHD with less lag

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to share a unimaginable problem I experienced this week. I have the luxury of racing on a 60 inch Sony Bravia. The tv is roughly 4 years old. My parents were in the market for a new one so I decided to buy myself a new one and give them my 60 inch. I bought a 55 inch Sony Bravia 4k UHD 120hz thinking it was going to be an amazingly clear picture for my PS4 Pro.... It turned out it was and I was looking forward to playing F1 2019 on it. After a few minutes I realized that my driving habits were not translating over to this tv. My turns were early and the steering felt completely different. It was as if I just started playing the game for the 1st time. I had spent most of the week preparing for Baku and with the new tv it was if I was a noob. Long story short, after a few hours I got my 60 inch back and am keeping that. I didn't put in all the hours I have in this game to relearn it because my tv size is different. I use the G29 wheel and pedals. So I just want to say beware of buying a new tv because you may have to adjust big time to the new tv. 

Edited by Mike5500
Add to title

Posted (edited)

your turns are early because of the lower input lag your new screen has. It is better to keep your new screen. lower is better but you need to get used to it.   
Gamemode on TV's gives you a lower input lag, when you put it off there is a chance it's more like your old TV.

Edited by RPJ1984
  • Agree 2

like @RPJ1984 said, new tv hase lower imput lag which makes that screen shows image faster than your 60 inch tv e.g on you old tv u turn the wheel to right and car doesn't turn immediately cause of imput lag, same is with distance to a corner,  on old tv u started braking let's say on 150 meter board but that's what u saw and the truth is that you started to braking on 100 meter board, but screen showed like you were braking on 150m, that how imput lag works, it makes you see less and imo you have less control of the car with it, screens with little imput lag are way better and is the way to go, cause your brain will have less confusing signals and imagies  when you will turn your wheel and the wheel or/and car will turn at the same time 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

That's interesting. All I know is I'm keeping the old tv until it poops out. And when it does I will try to have it fixed lol. It's still vibrant and clear picture. Can't go wrong with Sony... knock on wood. If I had started playing on the newer tv then I wouldn't even know about this problem existing. But it's not worth trying to redo every track and figure out what I need to do different and muscle memory etc... I'm pretty good at this game so I don't need to go backwards, thanks for the explanation though, makes sense.

Edited by Mike5500

Posted (edited)

if you that good shouldn't be a problem not ? real F1 drivers adapt every season from their car that changed !

Edited by The Icem@n

Posted (edited)

You are handycapping yourself by using your old TV. You learned yourself how to drive with a lag wich is bad. In real life you dont have a lag. Keep in mind the input lag will get lower with the years. So it will be even harder to switch in 2025 when you buy a new tv again. Why do you think gaming monitors have like 1-5 MS imput lag? Some older TV's have a Input lag of 40 MS New TV's have a lag of around 15 MS in gaming mode.. that is still much higher then a monitor. I bet when you master it you will be even faster then you are now on your old TV. Give it a week or so. 

Besides that, F1 2020 will be diffrent so maby it's smart to start using the new TV with the new game. You need to learn some bits again anyway and thats how it goes in real life (F1) also.  

Edited by RPJ1984

3 hours ago, The Icem@n said:

if you that good shouldn't be a problem not ? real F1 drivers adapt every season from their car that changed !

Yes real F1 drivers do, because it's their job, I'm playing a "video game". 

44 minutes ago, RPJ1984 said:

You are handycapping yourself by using your old TV. You learned yourself how to drive with a lag wich is bad. In real life you dont have a lag. Keep in mind the input lag will get lower with the years. So it will be even harder to switch in 2025 when you buy a new tv again. Why do you think gaming monitors have like 1-5 MS imput lag? Some older TV's have a Input lag of 40 MS New TV's have a lag of around 15 MS in gaming mode.. that is still much higher then a monitor. I bet when you master it you will be even faster then you are now on your old TV. Give it a week or so. 

Besides that, F1 2020 will be diffrent so maby it's smart to start using the new TV with the new game. You need to learn some bits again anyway and thats how it goes in real life (F1) also.  

I think I'm going to switch to the new tv for 2020 yes. That makes the most sense. 

5 minutes ago, The Icem@n said:

so you gonna stuck with 2019 because 2020 will also be different !

I'm not sure why you sound so bitter but yes I am that good where I could adapt but it will take time and right now it makes zero sense to re-learn all the tracks on 2019 so that's why if you read on you will see I plan on using a newer tv for 2020. So no I will not "stuck" with 2019. Exclamation point 

1 hour ago, RPJ1984 said:

Why do you think gaming monitors have like 1-5 MS imput lag

Thats pixel response time you are talking about, usually timed using a grey to grey pixel response (because its faster), which does help with input lag, but not the only reason for it. Pixel response time helps more with ghosting than anything, as its the speed at which the pixels themselves can change. The main reason why TV's run slower than gaming monitors, is because TV's run with a lot of post processing to improve the image displayed. This is why most TV's now come with a "game mode" that you can turn on while gaming, as this removes most (and sometimes all - tv set dependant) of the post processing a TV will do. If you tested the gaming monitors with a 1ms pixel response time, you would still find they have a good few MS of input lag on top of that (17ms in fact for a 60hz refresh rate on a gaming montior with a 1ms pixel response time). You have to keep in mind you have a button press going from whatever controller interface you have, been processed by the computer, passed to the GPU and then pushed to the display.

It is possible to get a TV now, and since about 2017 in fact, that will go as low as 9ms, but they are hard to find. There are very few places that test what TV's are best for gaming, and the ones that are tested are few and far between. If you do some digging, you can find a TV that is perfect for gaming. I have a 43inch LG UK6300 4k tv that has an 11ms response time that I use for my Xbox one, which works very well for me.

I wouldnt expect an honest answer in an electronics shop if you ask the question of "which TV is best for gaming", as more often than not, they do not have that information. So they will usually just be a sales person and direct you to a higher priced TV and tell you that one, because commission after all. This usually ends up with a gamer getting a TV set that is just not fit for the purpose of gaming (unless they really have some amazing luck), and then usually leads to complaints of input lag within video games, when its actually the TV that is the issue.

For this reason, if its for serious gaming. I always recommend getting a gaming monitor over a TV (1080p for base xbox one/PS4 - or a 4k gaming monitor for PS4 Pro and Xbox one X). Consoles will happly run on them, you just need another way for audio, as monitors tend to have rubbish speakers, or even none at all. Not an issue if you always wear a headset while gaming, or use the consoles optical out into a sound system.

What helps more than pixel response time, is refresh rate. The Hz that the screen can run at, so long as you can push that amount of frames. As input lag will lower with a higher refresh rate. As mentioned above, you get 17ms input lag on a 60hz display. On a 144hz, you get around 7ms input lag. Though dont take my word for it, plenty of tech channels have covered this topic, and some have even tested it themselves using high speed camera's.

If you want a gaming experience with as little input lag as possible, you need a good computer that can push a high framerate well above that of 60fps. Coupled with a screen that can keep up with a high refresh rate, and a pixel response time that decreases ghosting.

Anyway, the TL:DR, is that I agree with the concensus that the op is handicapping themselves using on older tv for gaming on, if the new one was infact displaying things faster. Which it appears it was from the discription in the original post.

P.S current iteration of Sony TV's are considured some of the worst TV's for gaming since about 2018, with much higher levels of input lag and high pixel response times over their main competators. Even budget brands such as TCL. So make sure if you buy a TV for gaming, you have a good look around first and find a TV that has been tested for the purpose of gaming. Its the only way you will find a TV that is suitable for that purpose, and wont haveto rely on the luck of the draw.

This Cnet website has a few TV's that was tested, you can see how badly the sony tv's they tested are compared to the competition. It also shows the difference between game mode been on and off - https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tvs-for-gaming-in-2020-low-input-lag-high-picture-quality/

I'm probably going to experience this very issue when I switch from my laptop and TV to a gaming PC - AMD R73800/2080Ti and Samsung 49" gaming monitor.  Glad I'm now forewarned!! 

52 minutes ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

I'm probably going to experience this very issue when I switch from my laptop and TV to a gaming PC - AMD R73800/2080Ti and Samsung 49" gaming monitor.  Glad I'm now forewarned!! 

Glad I helped someone, that was the intended reason of this post. It definitely took a left turn lol

Thanks for the warning. Just an update.  Fast screen brilliant, but the increased frame rate from 30 to 100+ at 5120 x 1440 has made a huge difference to accuracy. And a huge difference to the DD1 quality.

• Agree 1