Sign in to follow this  

Team Orders in F1 games. (realsport101)

I was reading an article on realsport101 about the Renault career mode and I came across their idea of implementing team orders.

"The best way to bring in a viable team orders system would be to add it to the long list of things you can radio into Jeff during a race. The main one will be requesting the #2 driver to move aside, but you could also request a different strategy option or tell your #2 to run long. These would bring a serious benefit to being a #1 driver somewhere and even make you seriously consider staying a #1 at McLaren over being a #2 at Ferrari, for example. There would also need to be penalties for being an insubordinate teammate. Maybe your pitstops would be a little slower, or the team would take an upgraded part away from you like we saw happen to Mark Webber at Red Bull. All of this would add to the realism of career mode, while you could remove the function for online races." (Click here to view article)

It made me think about how much team orders would add when thinking about moving teams, would you be given a chance to win at Ferrari or Red Bull should you become their number two driver? I am sure the developers could add this as a on/off system in the game for those who wish to run such a system. I think Codemasters are making the right steps for F1 2020 and who knows, maybe they have implemented this feature for My Team but we are yet to get details on that. I hope this is something they are considering though. I've seen Paul Jeal mention before that they have many ideas such as a pre-season test but it just isn't time for that yet. There isn't much they can add to the base career mode except small improvements each year and I think team orders would be a subtle one that would add so much to the game. Please feel free to make your own comments and ways in which they could implement the feature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Well, I have been thinking about this actually for a couple of weeks. I have a nice battle with my teammate at McLaren (Leclerc) and sometimes I'm a bit faster and at other times he is the faster one. This leads to problems when he won't let me pass when I'm faster and why should I bother letting him by? I lose rival points to him if he finishes ahead of me and we both lose development points for our car, cause his performance doesn't contribute to the R&D.

Last week this happened:

Leclerc was faster than me on the streets of Baku. I was just a little bit faster than Bottas (3d) and I would lose around 3 tenths per lap to Leclerc. After a few laps, I started to push really hard so I could get into the slipstream/DRS of Leclerc so he could tow me away from Bottas. My tyres suffered, as did my engine, but after 4 laps I was 5 seconds ahead of Bottas and within DRS range of Leclerc. Now, I did not have the intention to overtake Leclerc. He was faster and I already spent all my fuel and ERS in trying to get within one second. I just wanted to cruise behind him and let him take me away from Bottas. But Leclerc didn't know that. When I got a little bit too close, he started to get defensive. This made him lose time and that was not good for the team. If he would've just kept driving in the racing line, I would not have tried to overtake him. But meanwhile, Bottas was closing in because Leclerc was defensive. So I had to go for it. The result of this can be seen in the video below.

That was quite an unlucky incident @Falstojudilofa. I appreciate your input and I think even a small addition would be a simple 'no race' command from / to the engineer to let him know that you do not want to overtake, this would stop the defensive driving from the teammate (Leclerc in this instance). I am not involved with computing coding and therefore will make no judgements on how difficult or easy a feature like this would be to implement but I am sure the developers have thought about it and for one reason or the other they have decided against it. I can only hope they look to introduce it in a future title.

Yeah agreed. But as they will launch the My team mode this edition we should be able to do something along these lines.

Team orders is a good idea, also it would be helpful to see your team mates strategy before the race so you could do a split strategy and not just copy there’s or he copies you.

Posted (edited)

That would be nice, if the game could recognize different strategies(tire age, tire type, number of stops remaining that sort of thing) between the drivers and also different championship situations in late season scenarios.

Since the game also has car>>>pitwall communication you could also make requests(which may be refused) to be let through.

The greatest thing would be if you keep refusing to be helpful to your teammate, eventually the relationship within the team becomes contemptuous.

Let's simulate Hamilton-Rosberg lol.

Edited by LChaves01