Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Huge understeer problem with Thrustmaster TX

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I recently hooked up the Thrustmaster TX servo + open wheel add on + T3PA pedal setup and couldn't wait to find out what I was capable of with a wheel as opposed to a controller only to be let down with MASSIVE amounts of understeer on track. And before anyone asks - no, I'm not carrying too much speed into the turns. I've tried adjusting the maximum wheel rotation, steering saturation, updated the firmware for the servo, etc., and nothing seems to work. Also, with setting the maximum wheel rotation to the lowest possible number (180º), I've noticed that while idling on track the game restricts the turning of the wheel to 90º one way or the other, as it should. However, once I start driving and enter a turn, I am able to turn the wheel 450º either direction. I'm going to take a wild guess that this should not be possible. In addition, the on-screen driver will have his hands positioned at HALF the turning radius of my actual hands!

Just to show the amount of wheel rotation that is being asked of me, I watched Bottas's 2019 pole lap at China and noticed he turned the wheel a maximum of maybe 100º at the beginning of the first sector, whereas I am having to turn 180º or more. There are even some turns where I have to let go of the wheel with one hand and reposition the other just to get the wheel to rotate enough in order to maintain any slightly respectable amount of speed through a corner due to the fact that my arms can only cross over each other so far before I have to twist my body to accommodate them.

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this issue!

Edited by MassiveNoogies

Then the wheel rotation is set at 900. QED.

What you didn't do is tell me which platform you are on to finish helping. It is an XB1 wheelbase or it is on PC. My psychic abilities cease at that point and let me down badly 🙂

Sorry, I am on XBox One.

When I access the Thrustmaster Control Panel on my computer, the wheel rotation/angle appears to be set to 360º. In F1 2019, I also have the maximum wheel rotation set to 360º. 

Thanks for your help with this.

TX1.PNG

Please try the following steps (although I am at a loss as to why the wheel would not be set to 360 on the XB1 - please be aware that although the PC configuration is set to 360, this is only for PC and the console setting cannot be set via the PC driver, just the PC updater is the only route to update firmware; firmware is used in all cases).

Reset the XB1 USB ports http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00148.pdf

Consider using the Constant Cooling option (loss of FFB effect may occur if fan is activated rather than constant) https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/kb/7569-en/

How to set the DOR on console http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/TX RW_XboxOne_Rotation Angle_2014.03.12.pdf I believe this should be set in the XB console and not in-game*

Please read the notes about how to connect the wheel to the console and what not to do. http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00147.pdf

* - I have never owned an XB1 console, so this advice is all RTFM. 🙂

14 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Please try the following steps (although I am at a loss as to why the wheel would not be set to 360 on the XB1 - please be aware that although the PC configuration is set to 360, this is only for PC and the console setting cannot be set via the PC driver, just the PC updater is the only route to update firmware; firmware is used in all cases).

Reset the XB1 USB ports http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00148.pdf

Consider using the Constant Cooling option (loss of FFB effect may occur if fan is activated rather than constant) https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/kb/7569-en/

How to set the DOR on console http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/TX RW_XboxOne_Rotation Angle_2014.03.12.pdf I believe this should be set in the XB console and not in-game*

Please read the notes about how to connect the wheel to the console and what not to do. http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00147.pdf

* - I have never owned an XB1 console, so this advice is all RTFM. 🙂

As much as I appreciate you reaching out to help, I'll have to add these to the list of solutions that didn't work for me. Oh well... I guess there's only a month left until F1 2020 so all I can do is hope everything is resolved there, otherwise I may be getting a new setup altogether.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, MassiveNoogies said:

As much as I appreciate you reaching out to help, I'll have to add these to the list of solutions that didn't work for me. Oh well... I guess there's only a month left until F1 2020 so all I can do is hope everything is resolved there, otherwise I may be getting a new setup altogether.

So the wheel works great on PC? You could test with RaceRoom.

Final suggestion, are you using any kind of USB hub on the XB1? 

And is the QR fully tightened and the screw in on the wheel (bonehead question I know, but my motto is never be surprised!)?

Edited by steviejay69

I've never used the wheel on PC. I guess I just assumed using the Setup Tool would save the settings to the wheel for use on the XBox since the XBox doesn't offer any sort of settings editor for the wheel. As a matter of fact, under the accessories menu where you can edit your controller configuration, XBox doesn't even show the wheel. It's completely blank, as if no peripheral is connected. But I've never read anywhere that there's supposed to be something there for the wheel, so I guess I'm not missing out on anything there. I've come to the conclusion that - like you said - my maximum wheel rotation is set to 900º, but there is simply no way to change it. Do you think I have a defective TX servo?

22 hours ago, MassiveNoogies said:

I've never used the wheel on PC. I guess I just assumed using the Setup Tool would save the settings to the wheel for use on the XBox since the XBox doesn't offer any sort of settings editor for the wheel. As a matter of fact, under the accessories menu where you can edit your controller configuration, XBox doesn't even show the wheel. It's completely blank, as if no peripheral is connected. But I've never read anywhere that there's supposed to be something there for the wheel, so I guess I'm not missing out on anything there. I've come to the conclusion that - like you said - my maximum wheel rotation is set to 900º, but there is simply no way to change it. Do you think I have a defective TX servo?

You clearly haven't read the links I've posted, there is a button sequence to press to change the DOR and it's confirmed by the wheelbase LEDs flashing. 

15 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

You clearly haven't read the links I've posted, there is a button sequence to press to change the DOR and it's confirmed by the wheelbase LEDs flashing. 

On 6/10/2020 at 3:25 AM, MassiveNoogies said:

2 hours ago, MassiveNoogies said:

So you are basically saying the base is faulty if you cannot alter the DOR.

I don’t know what else to make of this reply.

Either that or possibly even the wheel, I dunno. I don't know how much data gets transferred between the two to determine which one is at fault, but I can't imagine it being anything other than those two things that's causing this problem. 

When it comes to the mode changes to alter the DOR, there is definitely something that happens, but the lowest setting (270º, which I believe is the default setting when the servo is turned on) just doesn't cut it and of course 900º is just hilariously bad. Overall, the front end is numb and steering input is pretty unresponsive, which of course leads to a lot of understeer. And no matter what the maximum wheel rotation is set to or what mode the DOR is in, I am still able to turn the wheel 450º either direction. The wheel will stop where it should, but it takes very little force to continue rotation. It's amazing that I haven't read about this problem anywhere else... Don't know if the next step for me is to exchange the servo or the wheel but the servo would be my first guess. 

5 hours ago, MassiveNoogies said:

Either that or possibly even the wheel, I dunno. I don't know how much data gets transferred between the two to determine which one is at fault, but I can't imagine it being anything other than those two things that's causing this problem. 

When it comes to the mode changes to alter the DOR, there is definitely something that happens, but the lowest setting (270º, which I believe is the default setting when the servo is turned on) just doesn't cut it and of course 900º is just hilariously bad. Overall, the front end is numb and steering input is pretty unresponsive, which of course leads to a lot of understeer. And no matter what the maximum wheel rotation is set to or what mode the DOR is in, I am still able to turn the wheel 450º either direction. The wheel will stop where it should, but it takes very little force to continue rotation. It's amazing that I haven't read about this problem anywhere else... Don't know if the next step for me is to exchange the servo or the wheel but the servo would be my first guess. 

Please post a dxdiag and describe how you connect the wheelbase to the computer (which USB port, what else is plugged in, etc.)

Posted (edited)

I think a friend of mine may have solved the problem. Apparently the Open Wheel Add On is not listed as a supported wheel from Codemasters for F1 2019 (which they neglected to mention in their response to my issue). So I'm going to send it back, get the F1 wheel that IS supported and report back. Thank you again for all the help!

Edited by MassiveNoogies

6 hours ago, MassiveNoogies said:

I think a friend of mine may have solved the problem. Apparently the Open Wheel Add On is not listed as a supported wheel from Codemasters for F1 2019 (which they neglected to mention in their response to my issue). So I'm going to send it back, get the F1 wheel that IS supported and report back. Thank you again for all the help!

The Open Wheel is supported on TX with your firmware and on XBox. There is an XBox mapping on the Thrustmaster tech support site and the TX is a supported wheelbase.

Because the Open Wheel is not  on the Codemasters list does not mean it has no support.

My apologies - "supported" was the wrong word to use; "compatible" was the one I was looking for. The Open Wheel Add-On is not on Codemasters' compatibility list. Although it does physically work (the car turns when I turn the wheel, pedals work fine and buttons can be mapped and all work like they should), it's apparent that there is something wrong that is seemingly unfixable when using that wheel to play F1 on an XBox console related to the steering input. I play F1 with a guy who uses a Fanatec wheel that also isn't on the compatibility list and he says his wheel feels different under all of the presets. Luckily for him though, he doesn't have the same problem I had. So once I get this different wheel later this week, we'll see if that was, indeed, the problem or if the saga continues...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MassiveNoogies said:

My apologies - "supported" was the wrong word to use; "compatible" was the one I was looking for. The Open Wheel Add-On is not on Codemasters' compatibility list. Although it does physically work (the car turns when I turn the wheel, pedals work fine and buttons can be mapped and all work like they should), it's apparent that there is something wrong that is seemingly unfixable when using that wheel to play F1 on an XBox console related to the steering input. I play F1 with a guy who uses a Fanatec wheel that also isn't on the compatibility list and he says his wheel feels different under all of the presets. Luckily for him though, he doesn't have the same problem I had. So once I get this different wheel later this week, we'll see if that was, indeed, the problem or if the saga continues...

I have played F1 on an Open Wheel on the T300. It works. Some have an issue with the F1 rim on the TS-XW.

However, there are perhaps wheelbase combos that do not work. The Open Wheel add-on would work on the T-GT, TS-PC Racer, the TS-XW, T500, T300 and TX.

The TS-XW and TX are basically the XB compatible TS-PC and T300 (T300 is PS3/4). The T300 is basically the replacement for the T500 as the T300 in PS3 mode is a T500 to a console.

The T-GT is the 'upgrade' to the old T500 which was marketed around the F1 Rim (but T-GT is PS4/PC AFAIK).

Thrustmaster eco-system would be easy if it weren't for consoles.

Basically the T-GT and the T500 would be the only two wheels, none of the others would need to exist. T150/TMX are budget console wheels, others are older console wheels again.

Edited by steviejay69

I have a similar issue with a Thrustmaster TMX setup connected to an Xbox1X. 

I’ve set the max wheel rotation on the base itself to 270 degrees using the button sequence and I‘ve also cloned the TMX control set in the game and set that max rotation to also be 270 degrees (default is 360). Whilst in the pits, or completely stopped on track, the max rotation is indeed limited to 270 degrees, but once I start moving again, the wheel is allowed to rotate around a total of 450 degrees. (90 degrees more in each direction than what it is set up for)

I can’t wind enough lock on the wheel whilst holding it in my hands in the slow speed corners to turn the car effectively without having to let go with one hand and grab the wheel further round to pull down some more lock. This happens in both 2018 and 2019. I did update the FW on the wheel as per the Thrustmaster support site, but still no joy.