Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Strange issue with escape key and gear shifters.

After a career race today I had an Overtake challenge that I did. When I did that something weird happened. I could not change gears at all, not up or down so was stuck in 4th. Tried both with and without the clutch but no go. I couldn't hit escape to get into the menu either so I had to get black flagged. Retried and the same thing but I managed to get into the ingame menu through alt-tabbing out and back. Went into the controller settings and everything, both the keyboard settings and the ones for my T300RS GT, but everything looked like it should in there. Added in individual keyboard keys for each gear and went back out to try shift gears like that. The only thing that happened was I went into neutral and then I couldn't get into any gear again so another DSQ.

Exited the game, rebooted the computer and went back in to run a time trial for testing. Everything worked except the escape key didn't react when I was in the car. If I went into the garage menu the escape key worked but in the car it just didn't.

I have no idea how this happened. I never went into any settings between this worked and it suddenly didn't. I could not go back to the overtake challenge to retest if it worked but changing gears and everything else have worked after reboot, except for the escape key on the keyboard when I'm in the car. If I press the pause assigned button on the wheel I get into the menu but not when I press escape on the keyboard like it used to before, and I have checked that it's still assigned.

The biggest issue here though is that I couldn't change gears. Perhaps I should try go into time trial or something and select that car (1991 McLaren I believe it was) and try if it works then. Only driven 2019 and multiplayer cars after this happened and they all worked as they should.

No changes in Windows either.

6 hours ago, Lakrits said:

After a career race today I had an Overtake challenge that I did. When I did that something weird happened. I could not change gears at all, not up or down so was stuck in 4th. Tried both with and without the clutch but no go. I couldn't hit escape to get into the menu either so I had to get black flagged. Retried and the same thing but I managed to get into the ingame menu through alt-tabbing out and back. Went into the controller settings and everything, both the keyboard settings and the ones for my T300RS GT, but everything looked like it should in there. Added in individual keyboard keys for each gear and went back out to try shift gears like that. The only thing that happened was I went into neutral and then I couldn't get into any gear again so another DSQ.

Exited the game, rebooted the computer and went back in to run a time trial for testing. Everything worked except the escape key didn't react when I was in the car. If I went into the garage menu the escape key worked but in the car it just didn't.

I have no idea how this happened. I never went into any settings between this worked and it suddenly didn't. I could not go back to the overtake challenge to retest if it worked but changing gears and everything else have worked after reboot, except for the escape key on the keyboard when I'm in the car. If I press the pause assigned button on the wheel I get into the menu but not when I press escape on the keyboard like it used to before, and I have checked that it's still assigned.

The biggest issue here though is that I couldn't change gears. Perhaps I should try go into time trial or something and select that car (1991 McLaren I believe it was) and try if it works then. Only driven 2019 and multiplayer cars after this happened and they all worked as they should.

No changes in Windows either.

I've had this too. Sometimes the game doesn't recognise one of the input devices. I think it's when they are customised.

The way the schemas work is awkward. Configure your wheel and press a key on the keyboard. Or configure your keyboard and press a wheel button (should work, never actually tried it).

Save the schema - Now you have a custom profile with the two devices bound; this is by design. Neither of the default schemas are selected (√)

Doesn't happen with USB pedals - if I press the Fanatec controls when customising the wheel schema it won't save the input as anything different. And don't get me started on customising the Fanatec controls (possibly a "why would you need to?" situation) but you get the 'Can't rebind controls that have a default schema' or whatever it is.

I have used the passive adapter for Logitech pedals to a Thrustmaster base and obviously the game can't tell the difference because the inputs are coming via the wheelbase.

Not sure how much of this is driver related as the Thrustmaster pedals read as combined axis with all pedals at 50% with nothing connected until the Fanatec driver is installed. Then they come back correctly as separate with 0% input until pressed.

I *believe* that the 50% combined is an error detection method used on the Thrustmaster base because when I had a connection come loose the Logitech pedals read this way until the wire was resoldered. WIth the T3PA pedals and the Logitechs the driver *always* detected as separate with 0%. But I've never had a 2 pedal set to connect to prove otherwise.

Didn't have any issues when I went in to setup the new wheel after first connecting it,  besides that it refuses to recognise the clutch pedal as an axis and only as a button. That is still so and it seems I have to live with it.

The strange thing is that all this happened while in the game, just between two sessions. But I'm gonna test the same car and see if the shifter issue is related to that somehow.

Ok. So I've now tested a bit and I cannot change gears in ANY car older than the 1992 Williams. 1992 Williams and newer it works, 1992 McLaren and older it doesn't.

With or without using clutch.

11 hours ago, Lakrits said:

Ok. So I've now tested a bit and I cannot change gears in ANY car older than the 1992 Williams. 1992 Williams and newer it works, 1992 McLaren and older it doesn't.

With or without using clutch.

OK - "Hail Mary" time. If you're sure all the default controller profiles are loaded and any custom ones deleted, you've launched into the game after verifying your Steam files and deleting the hardware_settings_config.xml....go play an Unranked MP session.

I had the lack of shifting off the grid issue (neutral not gear 1 selected) and this mysteriously solved it for me. (I'd say "fixed" it for me, but....connotations and everything.)

Well. Doing all this fixed the keyboard issue but I still can't shift gears with 1991 McLaren and older cars. 1992 Williams and newer works just fine.

I was able to shift gears on these older cars with my old two pedal wheel so I have no idea what's going on.

Not that I drive these cars very often, it's mainly in those challenges during career play. But still, it should work.

Can't connect the old wheel back up to test with either, it's been thrown away.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, Lakrits said:

Well. Doing all this fixed the keyboard issue but I still can't shift gears with 1991 McLaren and older cars. 1992 Williams and newer works just fine.

I was able to shift gears on these older cars with my old two pedal wheel so I have no idea what's going on.

Not that I drive these cars very often, it's mainly in those challenges during career play. But still, it should work.

Can't connect the old wheel back up to test with either, it's been thrown away.

Can I just clarify you are changing gear on the T300 PS Rim shifter paddles or do you have a TH8A gearshifter or another 3rd party shifter connected?

No separate shifter, only have the paddles on the T300.

Next suggestion. Is your wheel or keyboard plugged into;

a) a USB hub?

b) USB 3.0?

Not a hub but to front panel usb 3.2

I'll try with a rear 2.0.

1 hour ago, Lakrits said:

Not a hub but to front panel usb 3.2

I'll try with a rear 2.0.

Sometimes USB 3 devices create noise on adjacent sockets, sometimes the signalling differences affect other devices.

I have nothing connected to the other front panel USB so I doubt there's any disturbance there but I'll try on a 2.0 port and see if it makes any difference.

Well, tried with a 2.0 port but the same issue. I can't shift up or down with cars 1991 and earlier.

Just don't get why since it's possible with the newer cars. What's the difference here, that should be some clue as to why?

Just tried the 1972 Lotus and the 1976 Ferrari with my T300 on TT at AUS no problem.

Gonna try reinstall the drivers and see what happens. Still seems strange that it works with newer cars and not with older. Doesn't quite make sense.

Have you got custom mappings for (individual) gears set on either the keyboard or the T300? (This should only be used to map a pattern (i.e. non-sequential) shifter, AFAIK.)

When you set a key on a T300 custom map, it combines the devices as an input schema.

Likewise, press a button (or pedal / shifter) on the T300 in the keyboard mapping and it will combine the two as a schema.

Delete the custom schemas and use the default profiles. Verify in game you can use the shifters.

Set the mappings you want and save the new schema, then try it.

Let me know.

Haven't had time to test more yet, been busy all weekend, but I have no mappings for individual gears. I did that earlier to test if that worked but it didn't so I reverted to default keyboard setup.

But I'll try with the default T300 profile and see if that works. There's no difference between my custom one and the default one in that regard but just for testing I'll do it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lakrits said:

Haven't had time to test more yet, been busy all weekend, but I have no mappings for individual gears. I did that earlier to test if that worked but it didn't so I reverted to default keyboard setup.

But I'll try with the default T300 profile and see if that works. There's no difference between my custom one and the default one in that regard but just for testing I'll do it.

I realise trying the suggestions is tedious, but it's not widely reported so I'm thinking it is something specific to your settings.

Default profiles did not work either.

I'll probably give up on this and wait until 2020 arrives and put my energy in that instead.

Only thing I haven't tried so far is reinstall the game. I doubt that will help. The fact that it works with some cars and not with others indicates to me that it's something in the game, not in my setup.

I'm giving up on this. I hope this won't be an issue with F1 2020.