Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

F1 2020, no VR support on PC in 2020 = no buy.

Title.

I just picked up a Valve Index and find it ridiculous that Project Cars 1 and 2, Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally 1 and 2, just to name a few have VR support while the game that allows you to adjust the simulated "look to apex" camera movement, F1 2019, does not.

Guess what game still doesn't have VR support as of 2020?

F1 2020.

But they added a few more tracks?

You want my money it's going to take more than increasing the track number by one or two.

No VR support in 2020 is 100% unacceptable.

Edit:

I guess I need to buy VorpX for $49 and say goodbye to the game being optimized (as VorpX is very CPU intensive) just to play this is 3D?

https://youtu.be/aPrWuVNFCv4

This isn't a solution, as you can see by the comments below the video it has limitations, it's onl 3 DOF etc., native VR support please.

Here's what F1 2020 could be like (with better graphics), maybe I should just get whatever game this is as they are more deserving of my money having incorporated native VR support:

https://youtu.be/1c8hCERK2io

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

"No VR support in 2020 is 100% unacceptable."

To you, of course, and you're absolutely entitled to that view. But to probably 90% of Codies' target market (and that's probably a conservative estimate given the number of Steam users with VR headsets, for example), it makes no difference whatsoever I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Most Steam users have GTX1060 and a Quad-Core CPU. That's borderline for VR. A very good quad core might be OK. But hex or octa and GTX1070 you're cooking.

• Disagree 1

I agree with the OP. As a VR user, I am not sure I will be buying F1 2020. Once you try VR, going back to a 2D screen is no more an option.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, KenanPalangić said:

I agree with the OP. As a VR user, I am not sure I will be buying F1 2020. Once you try VR, going back to a 2D screen is no more an option.

That's a generalization and a false statement. I have no problem switching between VR and racing on a monitor. I actually know people who after trying out VR for months, went back to their triple monitor setup.

How much of the market for this game would have/use VR? Probably not even 10% I would rather they spend their resources making a great game than the team focusing resources to cater for such a small market

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ragequit1 said:

That's a generalization and a false statement. I have no problem switching between VR and racing on a monitor. I actually know people who after trying out VR for months, went back to their triple monitor setup.

Most people who try VR are not really enthusiastic about going back to flat 2D screen. Those who will happily go back to Pre-VR (especially sim racing enthusiasts) are in a minority. Nothing "false" about this statement, but a fact of the matter.

In fact, CM would only have additional financial profit from adding VR. In the commercial sense, every penny counts and VR user base is growing with each passing day and it cannot longer be ignored or downplayed as insignificant.

As an owner of F12019, I had to buy additional software (VorpX) in order to enjoy the game in its (semi-full) VR glory. As I can't be 100% sure if F12020 would also have VorpX support, cashing out 55 Euros is not really something I would look forward to.

Also, the CM claims that it would be difficult to add VR due to the advanced physics and graphics engine, yet they added full VR to Dirt Rally (which should be a lot more challenging to code, due to the nature of the off-road terrain, compared to F1 tracks).

Bottom line, CM wouldn't lose a single penny by -adding- the VR feature, they would only profit from it.

Edited by KenanPalangić
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, KenanPalangić said:

Most people who try VR are not really enthusiastic about going back to flat 2D screen. Those who will happily go back to Pre-VR (especially sim racing enthusiasts) are in a minority. Nothing "false" about this statement, but a fact of the matter.

In fact, CM would only have additional financial profit from adding VR. In the commercial sense, every penny counts and VR user base is growing with each passing day and it cannot longer be ignored or downplayed as insignificant.

As an owner of F12019, I had to buy additional software (VorpX) in order to enjoy the game in its (semi-full) VR glory. As I can't be 100% sure if F12020 would also have VorpX support, cashing out 55 Euros is not really something I would look forward to.

Also, the CM claims that it would be difficult to add VR due to the advanced physics and graphics engine, yet they added full VR to Dirt Rally (which should be a lot more challenging to code, due to the nature of the off-road terrain, compared to F1 tracks).

Bottom line, CM wouldn't lose a single penny by -adding- the VR feature, they would only profit from it.

Also in minority are those whom PC is capable of running the racing sims in any acceptable fps. The company did the market research and currently they don't see a justification to work on something big like a VR support. That being said, Lee Mather said that VR is definitely on their long term plan, but currently their focus is somewhere else.

You have to realize that this game is aimed also at casual players and not the hardcore - sometime entitled - sim community.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

You have to realize that this game is aimed also at casual players and not the hardcore - sometime entitled - sim community.

What does that have to do with VR feature? You can have a casual player still play the game without the headset and with all assists. As I already noted, VR would be an added option. It wouldn't neccessarily "alter" the game in any way. Not certainly for casual players. Or for any type of players.

Also in minority are those whom PC is capable of running the racing sims in any acceptable fps. The company did the market research and currently they don't see a justification to work on something big like a VR support.

Those who are not capable of running racing sims in the first place, won't buy them, so it's completely irrelevant if the racing sims will have VR support or not. Even if VR aspect of the game is more hardware demanding, (as it IS usualy the case), it shouldn't affect the standard 2D mode of playing, i.e. if you can't afford VR headset or don't have a rig capable of running the game in VR environment, you can still play it (as you, let's assume, originally intended) in 2D - as it is, performance-wise, a lot less demanding.

So, a non-VR, casual user should be able to play the game without any problems.

Just now, KenanPalangić said:

What does that have to do with VR feature? You can have a casual player still play the game without the headset and with all assists. As I already noted, VR would be an added option. It wouldn't neccessarily "alter" the game in any way. Not certainly for casual players. Or for any type of players.

Those who are not capable of running racing sims in the first place, won't buy them, so it's completely irrelevant if the racing sims will have VR support or not. Even if VR aspect of the game is more hardware demanding, (as it IS usualy the case), it shouldn't affect the standard 2D mode of playing, i.e. if you can't afford VR headset or don't have a rig capable of running the game in VR environment, you can still play it (as you, let's assume, originally intended) in 2D - as it is, performance-wise, a lot less demanding.

So, a non-VR, casual user should be able to play the game without any problems.

Comments like "no VR no buy" is what usually labeled as entitled sim community of hardcore fans.

Listen. Like I said, it's all about your personal view of things. I have an ultrawide monitor, triple monitor and a VR setup as well in a dedicated simrig. But I am not butthurt about the F1 game not having a VR support.

The new F1 game uses an engine that is very friendly with older PC configurations and consoles. So you are wrong about who can and who cannot run the game on the acceptable FPS on monitor. I know, because I tested it on different configurations.

• Agree 2

I'm not here to argue about nonsense things like "no VR no buy" @KenanPalangić We are all entitled to our opinion. You gave yours, I gave mine.

The OP has a valid point. I can imagine that if you play all your race games in VR you want to play this game in VR. I myself would like VR but it would be an added bonus. I only have PSVR and it wouldn't be as exiting as the full blown VR rigs. I'm buying the game even without VR.

1 hour ago, ragequit1 said:

The new F1 game uses an engine that is very friendly with older PC configurations and consoles. So you are wrong about who can and who cannot run the game on the acceptable FPS on monitor. I know, because I tested it on different configurations.

Again, what does that have to do with VR?

It's like saying, since some people can't afford a base car model, we shouldn't add any additional accessories to the car (for those who CAN afford both the car AND the accessories), such as power steering, LCD screen etc.

F12020 is not an FPS adventure game where you, on your own, walk around the paddock, track, climb the stands or go wherever you want in the virtual world. If that was the case, than I would accept the "Oh, you know, it's technically just too complex to add it, we would need to redo the whole game environment and adjust it to VR." argument.

Instead, you are confied to a cockpit and this is where all the action is. Fact that VorpX can actually turn F1 2019 into a decent VR friendly game just goes to show that CM, for whatever reasons, simply don't care about VR or implementing it in this years' game. If they wanted to, they could easily add the VR. And their game would sell even more. Again, they wouldn't lose a single penny by adding VR, it would actually add to their profit.

4 minutes ago, KenanPalangić said:

Again, what does that have to do with VR?

It's like saying, since some people can't afford a base car model, we shouldn't add any additional accessories to the car (for those who CAN afford both the car AND the accessories), such as power steering, LCD screen etc.

F12020 is not an FPS adventure game where you, on your own, walk around the paddock, track, climb the stands or go wherever you want in the virtual world. If that was the case, than I would accept the "Oh, you know, it's technically just too complex to add it, we would need to redo the whole game environment and adjust it to VR." argument.

Instead, you are confied to a cockpit and this is where all the action is. Fact that VorpX can actually turn F1 2019 into a decent VR friendly game just goes to show that CM, for whatever reasons, simply don't care about VR or implementing it in this years' game. If they wanted to, they could easily add the VR. And their game would sell even more. Again, they wouldn't lose a single penny by adding VR, it would actually add to their profit.

Take it up with the developers and the company's market research team. Hint: overwhelming majority of users drive in T-Cam view. Now if I was to make a decision if there is VR support and spending extra money, time and effort on something that's targeted to a very, very small percentage of end users, I will probably also say 'no' to this project for now.

There is zero evidence that would support a claim that the game would sell more with VR. I'm an example of it. I have VR setup but I still bought F1 2019 and F1 2020.

As of VorpX gives you an alternative solution, then go for it.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ragequit1 said:

Take it up with the developers and the company's market research team. Hint: overwhelming majority of users drive in T-Cam view. Now if I was to make a decision if there is VR support and spending extra money, time and effort on something that's targeted to a very, very small percentage of end users, I will probably also say 'no' to this project for now.

There is zero evidence that would support a claim that the game would sell more with VR. I'm an example of it. I have VR setup but I still bought F1 2019 and F1 2020.

I think you made the most important point consider the lack of VR: T-Cam. Although it must be said the reasoning also feeds on itself, because VR would probably make the cockpit more popular as that's where it significantly improves the experience, not just in terms of immersion but drivability and racing. As a cockpit driver I'd love to have VR but having to buy a new console and the VR set.. nah. Just waiting for the prices to come down.

• Agree 1

I have an eye condition so VR = instant migraine and vomiting. So its an irrelevance for mine.

6 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I have an eye condition so VR = instant migraine and vomiting. So its an irrelevance for mine.

To be fair it's something I've also had my doubts about. My condition is that of the inner ear and I might have the same reaction. Never had the chance to try though.

22 hours ago, IvanoZ023 said:

Shut up!!!

Let's keep things civil, ok?  You're both entitled to your opinions and ideas.  No need to get unpleasant. 🙂

• Agree 1

Post hidden for obvious reasons. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but keep it civil. There is always a possibility that some disagrees with your opinion, keep that in mind and accept each others opinion.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, ragequit1 said:

T-Cam, let's start this is the only F1 game that someone can use, so those who like F1 and racing will want to have. So here is your only option of a somewhat decent F1 game. They said they wanted to be realistic, yet trying to go into the cockpit view on a single typical 16:9 screen is not good, so you get console people and regular PC screens using T-Cam just because it is the best option available. I want to use the cockpit view on VR just like everyone else, more realistic mean precisely that you want to feel that.

Codemasters has a terrible track record using its marketing team to kill games. Just recently, PC3 probably the last that anyone will buy and hate; I know I won't. But I'm sure they will come with one more release to see if they can save it.

Also, they are making some good $$$ so, honesty, is not going to change, it's been happening for years.

Edited by Fedie

We want to move our league from Assetto Corsa (it's old hat now) to F1. Problem, half our members use VR so it's a complete non-starter. The official game is also the only game that chooses to stay behind technology - staggering!

On 7/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, ragequit1 said:

Also in minority are those whom PC is capable of running the racing sims in any acceptable fps. The company did the market research and currently they don't see a justification to work on something big like a VR support. That being said, Lee Mather said that VR is definitely on their long term plan, but currently their focus is somewhere else.

Just for info, Codemasters had/have a promotion running with Fanatec where F1 2020 could be purchased for 1 euro with a qualifying Fanatec purchase (almost anything as far as I can see).

Now, if you are not targeting the more 'hardcore' within the sim community you don't partner with Fanatec for a promotion, their kit is a bit of a step up from Logitech/Thrustmaster.

I purchased F1 2020 as part of that promotion when purchasing a Fanatec Formula wheel rim as I thought why not at that price. I use VR for iRacing, not sure if I'll try F1 2020 at all although the 'My Team' aspect looks interesting.

Edited by PaulFann

20 minutes ago, PaulFann said:

Just for info, Codemasters had/have a promotion running with Fanatec where F1 2020 could be purchased for 1 euro with a qualifying Fanatec purchase (almost anything as far as I can see).

Now, if you are not targeting the more 'hardcore' within the sim community you don't partner with Fanatec for a promotion, their kit is a bit of a step up from Logitech/Thrustmaster.

I purchased F1 2020 as part of that promotion when purchasing a Fanatec Formula wheel rim as I thought why not at that price. I use VR for iRacing, not sure if I'll try F1 2020 at all although the 'My Team' aspect looks interesting.

I use my VR headset with iRacing too, but the no VR no buy nonsense won't make me not buy the F1 game. I'm enjoying it a lot on my triple screen (although not true triple support either).

The F1 2020 game can be run in VR here's a guide for everyone: