Jump to content Jump to content

Anyone know any fix for sudden fps drops on DX12?

Erumasta

https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveEsteemedMagpieFunRun

Normally I play at DX11 but it crashes from time to time, today after windows update to 2004 I tried DX12 again and same issue (no only me, friends I play with have same issue) occurs.

I play at 4k 60FPS (scanline sync) lock, it's rock solid fps but then no reason it just starts to drop to around 50-60 or even under 50 and it lags like hell.

DX11 is ok exept the time (not sure is it just an coincidence) when I see that someone leaves lobby I get massive lag, frames drop to under 10, once he finnaly left, everything back to normal, or my game just freeze.

I can play 10H straight without problems, next day either it will crash or if I switch to dx12 frames suddenly goes under 60

it's nor PC as I have 3700x@4.35Ghz, 16GB Ram 3733CL16 and RTX2080Ti

So today I tried to test F1 without stream, rtx voice, vcam etc, just F1 in DX12 at 4k with HDR on, but capped frames to 60 (with scanline sync) to reduce tearing.

Before(during stream(, Mem usage was sometimes over 10GB, while today max was around 7GB at maxed settings in game but at the end of the "long" (around 3hours) session I've noticed again this weird fps stuttering, fps was at around 50-60.

Definitely there is something with DX12, as on DX11 it works much better, except that game may crash/freeze from time to time.

hardware_settings_config.xml

DxDiag.txt

30 minutes ago, Erumasta said:

So today I tried to test F1 without stream, rtx voice, vcam etc, just F1 in DX12 at 4k with HDR on, but capped frames to 60 (with scanline sync) to reduce tearing.

Before(during stream(, Mem usage was sometimes over 10GB, while today max was around 7GB at maxed settings in game but at the end of the "long" (around 3hours) session I've noticed again this weird fps stuttering, fps was at around 50-60.

Definitely there is something with DX12, as on DX11 it works much better, except that game may crash/freeze from time to time.

hardware_settings_config.xml

DxDiag.txt

Can you DDU and reinstall your drivers?

Also, can you name your motherboard please?

I always uninstall drivers with DDU and I have latest drivers installed 446.14, mobo is Asus X570 Prime Pro. (with latest bios)

btw. 50-60% gpu usage is because of fps lock, I can try tomorrow/today to play without any fps lock to see if this will happen again, although I have to play with lock as my GPU can't go near 100% because of RTX Voice and Stream that use NVENC new.

1 hour ago, Erumasta said:

Default although I'm gonna try with max perf as well.

I've found it makes no difference to me. I usually set as default driver install and don't change any options unless they have benefit. Looking on YT and wondering what kind of received wisdom was circulating I found tuts and on forums that lots were recommending Prefer Max Perf although there was no conclusive evidence to say it benefitted all or that Nvidia condoned or recommended anything. I've even seen it in one game manual that the setting was recommended (an expensive golf simulator).

Without stream etc, at 4k with HDR* fps stays at around 70-130 depends on track/time of day/weather.

No issues so far but it's hard to tell as the issue I had was totally random, and no only I had problem like that at dx12.

Anyway, less then a month for 2k20 and will see if DX12 will get any improvement in performance.

*another thing to mention is why at DX12 HDR looks better than on DX11?

Oh and most of the time, everytime I quit game at DX12, it crashes.

3 hours ago, Erumasta said:

Without stream etc, at 4k with HDR* fps stays at around 70-130 depends on track/time of day/weather.

No issues so far but it's hard to tell as the issue I had was totally random, and no only I had problem like that at dx12.

Anyway, less then a month for 2k20 and will see if DX12 will get any improvement in performance.

*another thing to mention is why at DX12 HDR looks better than on DX11?

Oh and most of the time, everytime I quit game at DX12, it crashes.

The fix for the crash on exit for me was to cap the framerate to that of the desktop or in-game refresh.

So, as on one build I run at 100Hz desktop, 99Hz in-game refresh and framecap at 99FPS (V-SYNC OFF).

I noticed the in-game refresh was not being respected by the game so I just enabled the framecap in-game. No more crashing on exit.

My FPS is capped to 60 as my TV is 60hz and it still crashes, anyway, its not a big issue as it only crash when I close a game, not mid race.

Yesterday I've noticed a similar problem with performance "drop" on DX11, not as huge as on DX12 but still happens.

Here is first few laps on Singapore, "rock solid" 60fps  Link

And here later in race Link

Today I'm gonna monitor mem usage as maybe there is some kind of memory leak.

Just now, Erumasta said:

My FPS is capped to 60 as my TV is 60hz and it still crashes, anyway, its not a big issue as it only crash when I close a game, not mid race.

Yesterday I've noticed a similar problem with performance "drop" on DX11, not as huge as on DX12 but still happens.

Here is first few laps on Singapore, "rock solid" 60fps  Link

And here later in race Link

Today I'm gonna monitor mem usage as maybe there is some kind of memory leak.

Framecap wasn't a complete solution for me, sadly. It reduced the instances of crash on exit but did not remove it.

Archived