Fuel mix and ERS F1 2019

New to F1 in general and to F1 2019 in particular. I've been ambling around various circuits....usually between 15 and 25 seconds slower than track lap records depending on circuit lengths, and it's suddenly dawned on me that  maybe I should be incorporating/using changes to fuel mix and ERS whilst driving. (Or is it on auto setting and I didn't realise this?). I'd like to do this manually.....what buttons could I assign to my XBox controller rather than use the d pad? I'm considering right thumbstick up/down for fuel mix changes and left/right for ERS changes. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

New to F1 in general and to F1 2019 in particular. I've been ambling around various circuits....usually between 15 and 25 seconds slower than track lap records depending on circuit lengths, and it's suddenly dawned on me that  maybe I should be incorporating/using changes to fuel mix and ERS whilst driving. (Or is it on auto setting and I didn't realise this?). I'd like to do this manually.....what buttons could I assign to my XBox controller rather than use the d pad? I'm considering right thumbstick up/down for fuel mix changes and left/right for ERS changes. Thank you.

mapping features on controller is personel preference so if you wanna map it into right thumbstick, you do that, although you wont be able to turn camera to the back to see what's up behind you

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ZtwoA said:

mapping features on controller is personel preference so if you wanna map it into right thumbstick, you do that, although you wont be able to turn camera to the back to see what's up behind you

If you use @ZtwoA mapping you can use r3 to look behind that's how ive got it and works well for me 👍 

• Thanks 1

I'm using this mapping:

• Right thumbstick left to decrease fuel mix and right to increase fuel mix
  • Right thumbstick up to increase ERS and down to decrease ERS
  • R3 (clicking the right thumbstick) to look behind

Works like a charm.

Since I rarely mess with fuel mix and you, too, will probably be looking behind more often than you'll be remixing petrol, you could also swap those mappings around and make Right Analogue up to increase mix, R3 to decrease, and continue with the default Right Analogue down to look behind.

There is also the R1/RB, defaulted to change camera view. How often do you that when racing? Given that I never change it and that camera view is also available on the Options/Start menu, you've pretty much got this input all to yourself. There is only the inconvenience of reaching it if you don't usually place both your index and middle fingers on the shoulder buttons; otherwise you'll need to release the throttle to hit R1/RB with your index finger or do some finger magic with your hands.

There is also the L3 button available by default if I remember correctly.

XOXO

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I will incorporate the right stick for ERS and fuel mix (up/down + left/right). And R3 for look behind. I don't use right bumper button at all for change camera view so may remap that for some other function. It has never occurred to me that L3 can be used also.....although I don't think that I could click this thumbstick in while using it to steer. 

Thinking on......I might remap right bumper button for look behind......maybe more intuitive to use this with same finger that I use for throttle ( right trigger ). I could use RT and RB together simultaneously with some practice.

5 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

maybe more intuitive to use this with same finger that I use for throttle ( right trigger ). I could use RT and RB together simultaneously with some practice.

Remember me to never introduce you to my girlfriend.

• Haha 1

My opinion for you as you have stated you are very new to the game is to keep ERS set to Auto. I myself have tried using ERS manually and have realized it's a pain in the a$$ to constantly change in every corner and on the straights along with the fuel mix. You almost have to be an octopus to do it. I do however recommend getting used to changing the fuel mix as it's much easier to do. The only downside to auto ERS is you might not be able to switch to overtake and or hotlap on straights when you are not behind another car. It usually stays in setting 2. Not the end of the world though. I have gotten P8, P15, P18 in weekly GP events using auto ERS so I'd say it's not much quicker if at all using manual ERS and it's a headache trying to figure out how to manage it perfectly. It's very easy to run out of ERS while manually using it up. Using auto ERS allows you to focus completely on your driving which is what I found to be beneficial. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike5500 said:

I myself have tried using ERS manually and have realized it's a pain in the a$$ to constantly change in every corner and on the straights along with the fuel mix. You almost have to be an octopus to do it. I do however recommend getting used to changing the fuel mix as it's much easier to do.  

I was exactly like that, but changed my mind and now I'm the opposite pole. For a few reasons:

• I feel like fuel mix is better left alone for most of the time. Rich fuel will wear down your engine faster and I'm not positive the extra weight from fuel load makes the ends meet with the performance boost rich fuel gives you. There are only two scenarios where I fiddle with it: slow laps like VC on track and formation lap; really really really tough overtakes. The standard fuel mode is the standard performance of your car.
  • I feel like ERS is much more advantageous, as in the edge in performance it gives you has way more potential than running on rich fuel. Feels like a component that is intended to be used a lot, differently from fuel mix. But you don't need to fiddle with it constantly; [0] on formation lap and VC on; [1] or [2] being your default, depending on the circuit and racing circumstances; [3] on straights and speed traps; [4] when overtaking; and [5] you simply ignore. Hotlap is just for that, hotlaps on Qualy. Mode [3] is High, that's what I feel like changing to when I need that straight top speed. Mode [4] is beneficial only on higher gears, like 8 or 7, it won't help you on lower gears at all.

That way I leave ERS on Low or Medium most of the time (even on cornering), High for top speed on long straights and Overtake when the situation arises. If for some reason I misstep, I'll dial it down a notch or try to harvest energy at a higher rate.

Given that I can practically neglect fuel mix 95% of the time, at the end of the way we're juggling with the same number of inputs.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I will incorporate the right stick for ERS and fuel mix (up/down + left/right). And R3 for look behind. I don't use right bumper button at all for change camera view so may remap that for some other function. It has never occurred to me that L3 can be used also.....although I don't think that I could click this thumbstick in while using it to steer. 

Thinking on......I might remap right bumper button for look behind......maybe more intuitive to use this with same finger that I use for throttle ( right trigger ). I could use RT and RB together simultaneously with some practice.

I Forgot to mention I use L3 for drs also. Auto ers is ok but if you want better lap times its a good idea to use manual especially if your league racing online.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, smudger1982 said:

I Forgot to mention I use L3 for drs also. Auto ers is ok but if you want better lap times its a good idea to use manual especially if your league racing online.

Using L3 to activate DRS! That makes so much sense....but doesn't pressing/clicking L3 while driving effect the steering at the same time? 

1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

but doesn't pressing/clicking L3 while driving effect the steering at the same time? 

Not necessarily. You still can click down on the thumbstick while it is tilted in any direction. You can even press it while tilting, though it most definitely takes some fine movements there.

I prefer to leave L3 for multiplayer Push to Talk and allocate the setup tweaking to the right stick. I'm not going to talk to no 14 years old yo-mama-so-fat brat while turning the car anyways.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

Using L3 to activate DRS! That makes so much sense....but doesn't pressing/clicking L3 while driving effect the steering at the same time? 

As DRS is on a straight you don't need to worry about steering inputs as such. 👍

Edited by smudger1982
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, smudger1982 said:

As DRS is on a straight you don't need to worry about steering inputs as such. 👍

I'm going to try L3 input as DRS. However I still usually have some steering input on the leftstick.....even on long straights. (Like holding left thumb stick at 12 o'clock to steer straight.....maybe not a good technique in hindsight).

3 hours ago, Scrogs said:

I'm going to try L3 input as DRS. However I still usually have some steering input on the leftstick.....even on long straights. (Like holding left thumb stick at 12 o'clock to steer straight.....maybe not a good technique in hindsight).

Keep to that technique it is recommended for smoother steering inputs which results in better tyre wear.

• Thanks 1