DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Great Gaming Rig Thread

One of these days when Im rich I'll get a better wheel. :D 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/KidJethro/20151008_115415.jpg

Why can't I get pictures to embed? imgur....photobucket nothin works. Picture pops up for half a second...then disappears?

Iv started saving.....

https://youtu.be/DTy-Rjvhmrk

Awesome (if the motion is right, oh & disregard the software!!)! :)

Hey everybody.
here is my rig.
DIY designed and built, DIY modded G25, 5.1 surround X530 ... Next step : DIY handbrake.
hope you will like it !

http://tinyurl.com/q5vz2ym
http://tinyurl.com/nh9g2lh

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/alefty/library/Sim%20Cockpit
Posting these pics to hopefully provide ideas to someone wanting to make their own cheap cockpit.
I have made two MDF/timber cockpits with minimal materials costs, but the time spent planning and pondering the design was not rushed.

My first one, the unpainted one, was made in 2008 and served me well.
2 years later  it was time for Mk11 (painted),  improved with ideas gathered from the pros and cons of the first one.
The good thing about using MDF/timber is modifying it for future expansions/improvements is easy.

Today, 5 years after Mk11 was released, it's time to put the old girl out to pasture after a very successful and reliable career.
It has been modified and altered more than a Hollywood actress and looks octopus like from all the stuff hanging off it.
It is now more beast than beauty and I have no motivation to attempt a rejuvenation so it's time for a change.

Mk111 is on the way and I'm moving into uncharted territory. :o
I have splurged and I now have the materials for my first 8020 aluminium profile cockpit to be built over the Xmas holidays. B)
I didn't buy a pre-cut one designed by someone else ala Ikea. Hell no, that's no fun.
I bought lengths that I will cut myself  and design it using ideas from other 8020 cockpits.

If anyone wants a blueprint for a cockpit i have recently done one in a 3d model and i have the measures and angles, but i will start to do it maybe in a few weeks

So er.. here's my "rig":                                             

The old 'Monitor on a box' trick.  Mine is virtually exactly the same @Porkhammer  (with RHD gearbox) :)

(the monitor isn't as small as it looks in the image!)

ADSTA68 said:

Mk111 is on the way and I'm moving into uncharted territory. :o
I have splurged and I now have the materials for my first 8020 aluminium profile cockpit to be built over the Xmas holidays. B)
I didn't buy a pre-cut one designed by someone else ala Ikea. Hell no, that's no fun.
I bought lengths that I will cut myself  and design it using ideas from other 8020 cockpits.

I have been a good lad and have made progress on the new rig during the holidays and have also been very careful to keep the fluids up to avoid dehydration during the Aussie summer.
Holidays + beer + rum & coke + power tools + a new project = a happy Adsta. B)

Thankfully the first and least looked forward to task that was vital to get the ball rolling turned out to be easier than expected.
The object where everything else is centred around, yes, a new seat.
Three conditions were all I had,
1: New, used bogan germ infested seat free zone here.
2: Obviously comfort.
3: A hard shell to mount bass transducers to.
Luckily I found a shop ten minutes drive away that had what I wanted and were the cheapest that I found after a two hour search on the net.
He even said a lot of sim racers were buying these seats.

To add some motivation, on the morning of new years eve I stripped apart the old rig thus forcing me to make haste and get a basic working rig by evening.
Everything I did was not intended to be the finished product as I am new to using alum profile, more of a let's see what works or doesn't work.
I still have a few more bits of hardware to fit and then the fine tuning can start.
Over all I'm very impressed with this product and I'm glad I used it.

One thing though that I'm thoroughly pissed off about is apparently Fanatec handbrakes don't like being bolted to steel/alum rigs.
They have an earthing issue so now I have to either mount something non conductive to the rig then mount the handbrake to it or someone said isolating the handbrakes output jack.

Here's some WIP, prototype, test build, v0.01 pics.

@ADSTA68 is this alum profiler a ready thing that you bought or is it DIY? It's so awesome..

Splendid rig. Can you give us the size and the model of your screens. They seem perfect. Wish you happy 2016 racing :)

@versedi
The aluminium profile material can be purchased in stock lengths as I did and then I cut them to length or
Most suppliers will cut to length for you at a cost or
There are a few people making and selling sim rigs which you then just assemble as per plan.

Some people are clever enough to have a design in their head and can work out the lengths they need and get the factory to cut them.
I'm more of a 'hands on' type and just ordered stock lengths then I could see how I wanted different bits of hardware to mount.

There are several companies who make the profile all with slightly different dimensions of profile.
For instance, they all make 40mm x 40mm profile but the dimensions of material thickness, slot widths and depths may vary so that must be considered when buying joiners and accessories.
Best bet is to see what's available in your country as shipping costs could run high delivered from afar.
The, I think, original company to make it is https://www.8020.net/  who are based in the US but as I said many other companies make and sell alum profile cheaper.
They have a huge range of joiners and accessories and looking through their catalog is  recommended.
I did find their prices for joiners and accessories crazy high from the distributor here in Australia so I ended up getting my 40mm x 40mm and 80mm x 40mm profile and corner brackets from a company in Sydney. I made my own brackets for the monitor mounts.

@gtmission
They are Dell U2414H
They have a very thin side bezel of about 6mm, perfect for triples. 

Here are the specs of my Rig:

-Triple samsung tv's 46"55"46" in game mode
-Intel 4770K@ 4200 Mhz, MSI 980Ti G1 @1475Mhz
-AccuForce Pro with 4 different rims
-Heusinkveld Pro pedals
-Custom made curved dashboard with real carbon fiber front
-GS4 seat (really awesome in Dirt Rally)
-Simvibe chassismode (4 BK mini LFE)
-3 simvibe extensions channels (rpm @ Shifter / rpm @back of the GS4 / impacts BK Advance)
-2015 DSD Pro Sequential Shifter / Fanatec Club Sport Shifter
-Fanatec Clubsport Handbrake
-Note3 with dashmeter Pro
-Sennheiser HD380 Pro headphones / Logitech Z5500

KevM said:
The old 'Monitor on a box' trick.  Mine is virtually exactly the same @Porkhammer  (with RHD gearbox) :)

I like @Porkhammers wallpaper more.

There are others that are better, but here's mine

"Not bought, built" ;)

gfRally said:
There are others that are better, but here's mine

"Not bought, built" ;)
Which wheel do you have a Logitech G27?

@Fedemaisonnave 

Yep, buried under all of that is a G27 wheel/shifter/pedals 

gfRally said:

@Fedemaisonnave 

Yep, buried under all of that is a G27 wheel/shifter/pedals 
It is an awesome rig dude! That steering wheel looks great, i am jelous

@gfRally what's the green thing made of (material)? Is the base made from wood with padded lining? 
It looks really awesome.

versedi said:
@gfRally what's the green thing made of (material)? Is the base made from wood with padded lining? 
It looks really awesome.

Thanks, funny everyone asks that even seeing it in RL.  Its just MDF, sealed with shellac, and then painted a semi gloss citrus green.  I used the same process for the undersides and monitor area a eggshell dark gray, so it wouldn't distract from driving.  I really didn't want to make it all black, black shows dust too easy, this looks cleaner for longer.

BTW:  This is just a temporary location, its home is in a ugly basement, had a small party so the wife allowed me to move it in to the living space.  Very kind of her.

JZStudios said:
KevM said:

I like @Porkhammers wallpaper more.
Yeah, it is nice.  The leafy design probably helps with immersion :) 
I might decorate soon, im open to suggestions but might start a thread for that lol 

The box has since gone & the monitor is on a stand of its own now