Jump to content Jump to content

The Great Gaming Rig Thread

justbiglee

dgeesi0 said:
k got the fanatec stuff altogether after a few small issues. :)

now how do you get advanced settings for centering things like that. i have only a few options.
Centering? In game? Far as I know with my GT2 running the same software/firmware there's basically only DOR and smoothing or whatever, of which I turn DOR to 900 since you can change it on the wheel/fly, and smoothing to 0. Everything else is up to the game. I think that may be why I'm still rather unhappy with DR's FFB, and I'm still liking DiRT 2's and 3's FFB much better, but maybe with the CSW it'll be different.
  • 5 weeks later...
gfRally said:
KevM said:
So, I started clearing my garage out earlier.  Loaded up the car & headed for the local Recycle centre.   I was emptying my crap into the skip and seen this out the corner of my eye...

Brought it back & bolted it to an old broken office chair that was destined for the dump too! 

You should see my wife's face - lol

Dude, I like that!  I know exactly how your wife looked, cuz it's the exact look I got when mine saw what I had under a sheet in my basement.  

Nice find, here is mine.

I made this set up 15 years ago and it has evolved into this from starting with a CRT TV, PS2 and some wheel of that time to this.

http://i.imgur.com/KZzKGFP.jpg

Sorry not usually this bad at adding pictures?

That seat is going back into a real car again!  Sold it to a guy who does Targa Rally's 
KevM said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:
So, I started clearing my garage out earlier.  Loaded up the car & headed for the local Recycle centre.   I was emptying my crap into the skip and seen this out the corner of my eye...

Brought it back & bolted it to an old broken office chair that was destined for the dump too! 

You should see my wife's face - lol

Dude, I like that!  I know exactly how your wife looked, cuz it's the exact look I got when mine saw what I had under a sheet in my basement.  

Nice find, here is mine.

I made this set up 15 years ago and it has evolved into this from starting with a CRT TV, PS2 and some wheel of that time to this.

http://i.imgur.com/KZzKGFP.jpg

Sorry not usually this bad at adding pictures?

That seat is going back into a real car again!  Sold it to a guy who does Targa Rally's 
Nooo dont sell it
Anyone have some good articles on making a DIY handbrake (e-brake)? Best would be with a one from a real car connected somehow through a USB. Second thing - does this thing will work in DR? My gamepad doesn't work when the wheel is connected so not sure if getting the sensors from a normal Joypad would work as intented in DR. Any clues? Forward thanks for an answer.

Edit: Something like this seems good for start:
https://www.reddit.com/r/simrally/comments/40kcty/anyone_ever_done_a_diy_handbrake_with_one_of_these/cyv37dl

Will it work in DR http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-2pin-Happ-Push-Button-For-Arcade-MAME-/191558261745?hash=item2c99c31bf1:g:pSQAAOxykMpTHzJU
 while G27 is connected with it's own gear shifter?

versedi said:
Anyone have some good articles on making a DIY handbrake (e-brake)? Best would be with a one from a real car connected somehow through a USB. Second thing - does this thing will work in DR? My gamepad doesn't work when the wheel is connected so not sure if getting the sensors from a normal Joypad would work as intented in DR. Any clues? Forward thanks for an answer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simrally/comments/40kcty/anyone_ever_done_a_diy_handbrake_with_one_of_these/cyv37dl

Will it work in DR http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-2pin-Happ-Push-Button-For-Arcade-MAME-/191558261745?hash=item2c99c31bf1:g:pSQAAOxykMpTHzJU

All I can say is my wheel and pedals are separate so it should work in DR. Then again, my controller also works with the wheel plugged in.
As to the handbrake, you'd want a linear progression potentiometer... although I suppose you could also use a turn dial with enough steps so it's not just a push button.
JZStudios said:
versedi said:

All I can say is my wheel and pedals are separate so it should work in DR. Then again, my controller also works with the wheel plugged in.
As to the handbrake, you'd want a linear progression potentiometer... although I suppose you could also use a turn dial with enough steps so it's not just a push button.
Rack and pinion gear with potentiometer.  linear pot would be easiest to work with, they usually have mounting holes on them and the slider arm.  However you will need to find a joystick board, one that actually has analog inputs.  I have the one you linked, it works well, but its for buttons only (DPad like).
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
versedi said:

Rack and pinion gear with potentiometer.  linear pot would be easiest to work with, they usually have mounting holes on them and the slider arm.  However you will need to find a joystick board, one that actually has analog inputs.  I have the one you linked, it works well, but its for buttons only (DPad like).
DSD has a few little boards, not sure if they do analog though. I could take apart my Fanatec HB and take some pics, it's a pretty simple setup actually, and could pretty easily be transitioned to a hydraulic.
The DSD card with analog:
http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/12-bit-controllers.html

I may pick one of these up, they are reasonable and probably a little more support than the Leo Bodnar (I've tried emailing him/them for months and have never gotten a response!).  But this depends on where you live, DSD is in the US I believe so thats good for me. 
Does DR supports analog handbrake with potentiometer? 

I think for a start I'd go with a simpler solution - on/off switch that could be upgraded in a future. Reason for that is I've switched from the same setup - first a gearshifter with a rubber, now h-pattern + button on the wheel which's almost untargetable when you're doing a fast turn ('ve almost broke my finger once trying to do that). 

Main question: If my gamepad isn't working when the G27 is connected in DiRT, will a separate e-brake work? I'm worried that alot of effort and money for parts will be basically lost. Does anyone who uses G27 have a separate e-brake and can confirm that it does work with current version of the game?
versedi said:
 Does anyone who uses G27 have a separate e-brake and can confirm that it does work with current version of the game?
Not sure if is the answer you are looking for, but i use a G27 with a Logitech 3D Pro Joystick, as a handbrake ( separated USB ) and works like a charm. Altough, in control settings, when binding Joystick axis to handbrake, DR register the input as an axis ( as it should be ), but while playing, the use of handbrake feels like a digital input ( on / off ) and not like an analog input. This might be because there's no saturation and / or deadzone options, to setup the handbrake like we want ( i hope they add these options to handbrake in next game ).
Alf72 said:
versedi said:
 Does anyone who uses G27 have a separate e-brake and can confirm that it does work with current version of the game?
Not sure if is the answer you are looking for, but i use a G27 with a Logitech 3D Pro Joystick, as a handbrake ( separated USB ) and works like a charm. Altough, in control settings, when binding Joystick axis to handbrake, DR register the input as an axis ( as it should be ), but while playing, the use of handbrake feels like a digital input ( on / off ) and not like an analog input. This might be because there's no saturation and / or deadzone options, to setup the handbrake like we want ( i hope they add these options to handbrake in next game ).
My Fanatec Handbrake works perfectly, it's definitely a progression. Might just be the joystick? I do know for a fact however the older Dirt games aren't analog. Have you tried driving slowly and started to apply more hb?

And yes, DR does support potentiometer.
JZStudios said:
Alf72 said:
versedi said:
My Fanatec Handbrake works perfectly, it's definitely a progression. Might just be the joystick? I do know for a fact however the older Dirt games aren't analog. Have you tried driving slowly and started to apply more hb?

Yeah, feels this way, most likely, because it's a Joystick and not a proper handbrake.
Alf72 said:
JZStudios said:
Alf72 said:
versedi said:

Yeah, feels this way, most likely, because it's a Joystick and not a proper handbrake.
probably the lack of, or very little resistance when pulling on it.  
gfRally said:
Alf72 said:
JZStudios said:
Alf72 said:
versedi said:

probably the lack of, or very little resistance when pulling on it.  
When I did the Gymkhana stuff in Dirt 3 before I jerry rigged up my HB I just used the shifter in SQ and drove in automatic, it still worked pretty well. A linear progression is nice for some finer control, but like 80% of the time you're going to give it a full rip anyways. I'd look into a potentiometer, just to see how difficult it would be. It should be pretty simple.
  • 2 months later...
Here's my entry for dodgy setup of the year.
Featuring my DFGT latched onto a reasonably flimsy three-legged table, complete with magazines under the DFGT to provide enough meat for said latching, with heavy books acting as a counter-weight.
The ensemble is completed with messy wiring, nearby water hazards and a fluffy cat for warmth.

• 3 weeks later...

No more content, as far as I know but not dead to me, as I still paly it.

We haven't had an official statement (I don't think) but it's pretty wildly known that a new one is in the works.

Unless I'm completely wrong, in which case I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me and tell me the error of my ways :)

Archived