Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarmac issues and general grip levels

Hello!

First off, let me say the ffb update was a huge step in the right direction. Feels way more natural now.
But tarmac feels totally unbelievable in this game. I have to admit in real life I am quite inexperienced driving a car on surfaces like gravel (I have at least some experience). But I have been driving on tarmac with all kinds of cars since 20 years on a daily basis. There is to much grip (as it is in general) on tarmac plus the weight load of the cars in the ffb feels waaaaay to light.
I also intensly compared Dirt Rally tarmac stage to games (sims) specialized on tarmac: Assetto Corsa and GTR2. My observations:

1. In both games (AC and GTR2) the ffb resistance while going round corners is way stronger - as it is in reality without steering assistance. This is what I mean by weight load.
2. In Dirt Rally I have almost no feedback from the road surface itself. No bumps to be felt, no permanent slight vibration in the steering wheel (coming from the texture of the tarmac). Tarmac feels ridiculously smooth, totally unrealistic.
3. The feedback from spinning/slipping tires on tarmac is also far too low, barely existant. Even when ingame ffb settings are cranked up all the way.

Regarding general grip levels in the game: I think all cars have too much grip.

Edit: Tarmac seems to be ok gripwise , after I did a little video research about rally cars grip on tarmac. Gravel and snow seems to be a little too grippy.

What do the other drivers think about it?

Sorry for my bad english.

Agreed, the FFB did help give the cars much better feel but grip levels are still too high, worse at lower speeds. 

Tarmac is really bad though, it is nearly lifeless driving on rails almost impossible to slide around a hairpin.  I really hope they release some tweaks to the tarmac driving when they release Germany.  I think that gravel feels pretty damn good already but does seem a little too grippy.

I think the critisism against tarmac is a bit exagerated. It's def not perfect but not as bad as people scream IMO. Compare the WRC's from the game to the video below. These cars have massive amounts of grip on dry tarmac.
The RWD cars do struggle on tarmac atm though, that I agree with.

https://youtu.be/8-KME-9zP9Q

Devs have said they want more progressive grip loss and that will be fixed. 

bogani said:
I think the critisism against tarmac is a bit exagerated. It's def not perfect but not as bad as people scream IMO. Compare the WRC's from the game to the video below. These cars have massive amounts of grip on dry tarmac.
The RWD cars do struggle on tarmac atm though, that I agree with.

https://youtu.be/8-KME-9zP9Q

Devs have said they want more progressive grip loss and that will be fixed. 

One thing is that the driver can drive without skidding, and quite another to want to skid, and the car itself does not. That's the difference. The game has too much grip. Look other simulators and compare.
In dirt rally if you want to skid, the car stops do..

I have to admit, after watching several videos the grip of those cars is insanely strong. Maybe I was wrong about the amount of grip on tarmac. For modern rally cars at least. RWD still seems to be a bit too grippy.
But tarmac still does not feel right, ffb wise. The feel of the cars weight is just to low, not enough counterforce while steering. When you do over or understeer I find the sliding fx underwhelming. Plus the almost non existant feedback of the road itself.
I hope this will be improved in the future. I really look forward to mentioned progressive grip loss. Sounds promising.
Besides that I think Codies are doing an incredibly good job with the development of Dirt Rally so far.

But I think the devs would like to develop a proper simulation game. At least I hope so. It has been over a decade since the last true rally sim. It is just overdue. There are more than enough arcadish rally games out there to please the fans of arcade.

The gravel grip is quite astounding irl. Btw, I would really love some stages like this. Getting tired of the damp weather in Wales ;)

https://youtu.be/_O3EvHB0bwA

I'm not saying everything is perfect grip wise, but it's not that far off. Codies have said they will tweak things after valuable feedback from Kevin Abbring.

Hartbrot said:
But I think the devs would liketo develop a proper simulation game. At least I hope so. It has been over a decade since the last true rally sim. It is just overdue. There are more than enough arcadish rally games out there to please the fans of arcade.
I wonder how the people here would divided all the rally computer games there has been so far into two lists Sim & Arcade? 

in DIRT Rally.... this is imposible:
http://youtu.be/Koz0lSPHKjg
the grip should improve a lot...

Barnestah said:
Hartbrot said:
But I think the devs would liketo develop a proper simulation game. At least I hope so. It has been over a decade since the last true rally sim. It is just overdue. There are more than enough arcadish rally games out there to please the fans of arcade.
I wonder how the people here would divided all the rally computer games there has been so far into two lists Sim & Arcade? 
How can you disagree with me? I asked a question. I didn't give a statement or point of view. Lol

Is there any recipe on how you can alter your tyre grip on the forum? I would like to try it.

Personally I think the gravel is kind of nice and real enough for a rally game. Still room for little improvement. The issue for me is the tarmac grip. I just can't spin or slide easily even if I wanted to. Tarmac races are a bit lame atm.
Looking forward to updates! ;)

What the Devs want to make is an authentic rally experience. That's different to a simulator. 
Right on. 
I think the grip is fine. The loss of traction comes quick and the road bites when traction returns. Pikes feels great in the rain and I love the audio.

Benniz said:
Is there any recipe on how you can alter your tyre grip on the forum? I would like to try it.
DiRT Rally - cars - models - tuning. Open each of the 4 files inside with Notepad. Scroll down to bottom of list, change the words 'high' to 'med' or 'low'

Benniz said:
DiRT Rally - cars - models - tuning. Open each of the 4 files inside with Notepad. Scroll down to bottom of list, change the words 'high' to 'med' or 'low'
All cars but the WRC's are medium by default I believe?

are they? only changed the grip on my Fiesta, so I wouldn't know
Yup, all other cars I looked at has got medium grip tyres.