Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarmac issues and general grip levels

This evening I tested lowering the grip on the Fiesta WRC to low on all surfaces, and WOW, that felt fantastic! It goes to show that Codies really has made a great fundament of a game, very impressing! For me the handling and grip level was close to perfect, and it was great fun to drive. Actually, for me the game was more driveable with lower grip, and in no way harder. The car also felt heavier and more controllable, allthough not as nimble and quick to turn in as it should. Looking at the replays, the car looked much more realistic going through the corners. 

If it were up to me, I would lower the grip overall in the game right away :) Extremely impressed!

I tried the low grip on the Fiesta and didn't like the understeer I was getting on the Welsh gravel stages, so I tried the medium setting. Front end grip restored :)

Tarmac needs some "suspension" forces... it still feel like driving o ice.

Come on guys.... Germany is gonna be a damp squib if this isn't improved.

Darhour said:
If you want a rally simulator, buy a rally car and go out for a run.
if i buy a rally car i will have a rally car, but i don't have money for buy a rally car, and i like have a rally sim, there is a thing called respect, and your responses demostrate not have it, you have to respect the opinions of others, even though you're not agree

arcade games there are very many, I think we like the simulators, we also have the right, and I would like to keep the game that way, or put in the game  sim mode and  arcade mode, then each choose what you want to play, and so everyone will be happy.

i test the change grip, and like me

https://youtu.be/VcAx75Xhf9o

What the Devs want to make is an authentic rally experience. That's different to a simulator. 
I hope the devs come out and state that explicitly then. I'm sure there are many that are under the impression the devs want to create a sim.

Cranck said:
wow that's nice! But you should remove the blue zone :smile: 

PD: Un saludo Cranck! me alegro verte por aquí!! sigo disfrutando de tus mods en AC :)

Darhour said:
If you want a rally simulator, buy a rally car and go out for a run.
How about you just go play one of the other dozen dumbed down arcade rally games released in the past 10 years.  Do we really need another one??

Let the people wanting a sim finally have one ....not everyone can afford to go out and rally race.

One thing I don't understand, at least with the Pikes Peak cars on tarmac is the FFB. You turn the wheel a little and you get resistance you'd expect. Turn it a bit more and there's nothing. Almost like the FFB is set or scaled for a very small wheel rotation.

function9 said:
One thing I don't understand, at least with the Pikes Peak cars on tarmac is the FFB. You turn the wheel a little and you get resistance you'd expect. Turn it a bit more and there's nothing. Almost like the FFB is set or scaled for a very small wheel rotation.
I might be wrong, but isn't that due to losing traction because of understeer? Previous DiRTs and GRID does this too

I don't think tarmac grip is too high in the game. Look at that Latvalla / WRC Spain video bogani posted. The car's whizzing through corners at incredible speeds without any drifting. Drifting would only slow it down. The only reason why one would want to drift on tarmac in  a race is to make it through a really tight hair-pin corner.

I think most people here think the tarmac grip is too high because they've driven regular cars with street tires on tarmac and expect the in-game cars to behave similar.y. Well, they don't. Purpose-built race cars with lighter weight, racing chassis and suspension, and racing tires put them cars in a totally different league than normal street cars.

CmdrCody said:
I don't think tarmac grip is too high in the game. Look at that Latvalla / WRC Spain video bogani posted. The car's whizzing through corners at incredible speeds without any drifting. Drifting would only slow it down. The only reason why one would want to drift on tarmac in  a race is to make it through a really tight hair-pin corner.

I think most people here think the tarmac grip is too high because they've driven regular cars with street tires on tarmac and expect the in-game cars to behave similar.y. Well, they don't. Purpose-built race cars with lighter weight, racing chassis and suspension, and racing tires put them cars in a totally different league than normal street cars.
yes, but in the corners , It is so unreal, at least one with power is should be able to make the hairpin skidding

Didzis said:
I might be wrong, but isn't that due to losing traction because of understeer? Previous DiRTs and GRID does this too
That could be it. I mean visually the car seems to be cornering fine, no issue of understeering. I don't know, I'll give it a few more turns cause I haven't run Pikes Peak too many times since the FFB update. I'll also adjust my setups and see if it changes anything. Thanks.

The RWD struggles the most on tarmac atm. They will really benefit with more progressive grip loss that the devs talked about. 

put it to you this way: drifting the M3 on tarmac is not like real life:)
I know, but you're saying it can't be done when it in fact can be done. ;)

can you all share your setups on e30 that will produce corner entry oversteer,without handbrake help on tarmac ??????

I think it is more than possible to get realistic handling happening in Dirt Rally, at least with my Fanatec GT2 and clubsport pedals it's getting pretty close now. I can consistently start a slide and do a Scandinavian flick and catch it opposite lock without hitting a tree now ;) Wheel slides in my hand beautifully like it should, I can feel the weight transfer, good tactile vibration cues and fast response. I'm not guessing what the wheel is doing anymore.
  1. The first thing is as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJGKjNu__U
    Turn Tyre Friction and Wheel Friction to 0%, that's right 0% It creates a canned damping affect that makes it harder to feel the wheel, it's totally unnecessary and a relic from the older force feedback system. With both settings turned off the difference on my wheel is night and day. You can try the other settings in the video above though your mileage may vary.
  2. Make sure your wheel driver/setting has NO Damper or Spring turned on...so set this to 0%. That removes the artificial damping that your wheel adds to the feedback (only need this for game with bad force feedback ala Dirt 3). On my GT2 wheel I make the drift mode 2 as this makes it a little easier to slide. For tarmac stages you can turn it off entirely.
  3.  Ok now you can start to feel the improvements in the force feedback model. On my wheel I had to wind the soft lock setting up to 120% to get reasonable feedback in my wheel which is set to 540 degrees. The tyre slip and suspension also have a tendency to overpower the effects so I would recommend you wind them down to 50% and then adjust and test them to what works for you.
  4. To improve on this feedback further, a great mod has just been released called Impact: http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/523890046875950279/?insideModal=1
    This takes the feedback model to a whole new level. The wheel vibrates as you accelerate, there is more rumble if the car is driving slower, the feedback is nuanced and more believable. Might take you a few stages to adjust, but once you do the game is just brilliant.

The rest is up to the driver. A few tips I have read are to brake and turn in BEFORE you apply the handbrake with a quick tap (as in.. you are already sliding around the corner, before you even apply the handbrake). That way you are setup properly for a handbrake turn. If you handbrake prematurely you will just slide straight off track. Tap the brake to rectify overseer, it's an obvious thing to miss, but as soon as you feel a slide getting out of control, a quick brake tap can knock your car back on the racing line. And the most obvious is to commence your turn, BEFORE the corner, like well before. If you are entering a bend and haven't started turning already you are likely to go off track. All of this pretty much requires that you go into a corner hot, don't try and slow down around the corner, attack it with the right direction and maintain grip using the wheel with light brake and steady acceleration adjustments. Hope this helps someone.