Sign in to follow this  

[F1 2019] Career season 4 - inconsistent AI difficulty

I ask the question here, since it's difficult to find relevant answers through search engines...

I play Career mode on 94%-95% difficulty, with realistic tyre wear and so on... My 3 first years were at Renault's and the AI opposition was perfectly realistic - except for my teammate Ricciardo, completely lost during 3 seasons.

I finished 6th at the championship on my first year, and won 2 titles the following years, with a total of 19 poles and 19 wins, and making Renault the best R&D team (but not maxed out yet). And all of this with a consistent and "realistic" AI opposition (for a 94%-95% level).

Deciding for a new challenge, I switched to McLaren for Season 4, as they were the 4th best R&D team at the end of the previous season...

Bad luck : starting Season 4, McLaren has fallen next-to-last in R&D... (but no big deal, I wanted precisely this kind of challenge)

But now begin the inconsistencies :

• my McLaren teammate (Weber) qualifies regularly between P4 and P8 - where I struggle to get into Q2
  • In Bahreïn, I qualified P10, but there were only a 0,188s gap between P1 and P9... (so they basically all did the same time, give or take...) 
  • in China (one of my very good track), my teammate qualified 1,5s ahead of me, who was... P19, 3s behind the pole (so pretty much nowhere ^^)
  • during those Season 4 races, the AI finally got this magical power back that it had in F1 2018 (at 95% difficulty) : the super-rockets and super-brakes allowing them to get out of the corners at the speed of light, coming into a breaking zone at the speed of light, breaking at the 50m signal at 340 km/h, getting the corner perfectly right (what? coming waaay to fast? naaah...), and getting out of it at the speed of light again (I'm genuinely surprised that their exhausts don't spit fire or anything)

I get that the "solution" - let's call it a "workaround" - to that issue would simply be to dial down the AI difficulty (I suppose 80-85% should do it), but that's besides the point: did any of you guys encounter such inconsistencies during a long-term career ? I'm obviously not talking about a maladjusted difficulty at the beginning of a career, but serious inconsistencies that force you to completely redefine the way you play the game...

• Agree 1

Yes, in my season 4 or 5 all of the cars actually reached full development, some are better than others (Racing Point was the best) but my teammate and all the other drivers were suddenly far faster than they had been.

• Agree 1

Yup. I started at 90 difficulty then in my fourth season onwards I had to drop the difficulty to 70. 

Massive spikes between tracks too.

• Agree 1